PDA

View Full Version : New Ride!

Bob
May 1st, 2016, 06:41 AM
Well, I've gone way over to the Dark Side and will be pursuing more sedate off road adventures in the future. That, and being very tired of my daily driver being a manual shift with little space and zero amenities for 9 years; the last 4 in the fun but very spartan 99 TJ Wrangler.

Accordingly, I found a well cared for 2014 Grand Cherokee Overland V8 -- creature comforts here I come! It has the automatic Quadra-Drive II 4x4 system with electric locking rear diff and selectable calibrations, and the dynamic air suspension.

This vehicle will definitely need skid plates, and probably rock rails for a step and side protection if I screw up and get on a trail that's too hard for it. Unfortunately it comes with lower profile 20 inch tires which are worrisome to me for even mild offroading, so will need to go to 18" or 17" and keep the 20 inch wheels for winter tires.

(The 99 TJ is for sale in the classifieds)

Java
May 1st, 2016, 06:54 AM
That is beautiful!! Quite the upgrade, congratulations!! :thumb:

Patrolman
May 1st, 2016, 08:29 AM
Nice ride! Sure is loaded with fancy features!

As I have always warned my wife when she is looking at a vehicle to purchase, oftentimes it is difficult to go to a smaller wheel than what a vehicle came with as stock. There may be clearance issues with brake calipers or steering components. Just keep that in mind when considering other wheels.

Bob
May 1st, 2016, 08:58 AM
Nice ride! Sure is loaded with fancy features!

As I have always warned my wife when she is looking at a vehicle to purchase, oftentimes it is difficult to go to a smaller wheel than what a vehicle came with as stock. There may be clearance issues with brake calipers or steering components. Just keep that in mind when considering other wheels.
Good point. I know 18" is ok since it was an option, and standard on Limited trim. 17" might not fit though, need to research more.

Chris
May 1st, 2016, 10:17 AM
Nothing like some comfort features! The biggest reason we went to the 4Runner was Barb liked heated leather seats!

I hope your experience is like ours - a bit of a learning curve off-road with all the electronics but ultimately finding it does quite well. Beside Barb liking the comfort features I really like the V8 that lets us pull a trailer now, something we couldn't do with our old truck.

With age comes the need for creature comforts since age also brings other stuff that we wish it didn't!

Jim
May 1st, 2016, 10:38 AM
Looks nice and comfortable. Chris would say it has pinstripe hiding white paint - a feature!

Bob
May 1st, 2016, 02:51 PM
Nothing like some comfort features! The biggest reason we went to the 4Runner was Barb liked heated leather seats!

I hope your experience is like ours - a bit of a learning curve off-road with all the electronics but ultimately finding it does quite well. Beside Barb liking the comfort features I really like the V8 that lets us pull a trailer now, something we couldn't do with our old truck.

With age comes the need for creature comforts since age also brings other stuff that we wish it didn't!
Yeah, no kidding! At almost 60 now one of my must haves is also heated seats (my inner 20 year old is crying...)!

Nice to know your Toyota electronic controls work well. I looked hard at the 4-Runner and it was a close second choice. I think it's the better vehicle for off road with body on frame construction, but I just like the more car-like GC better for other uses 98% of the time. Also, I ski a lot so nimble handling plus traction on curvy roads in winter is important.

Looking forward to doing some easier trails with the club this season, might even get my wife to join me now!

Chris
May 1st, 2016, 03:47 PM
Looks nice and comfortable. Chris would say it has pinstripe hiding white paint - a feature!

Still scratch free! :lol:

Yeah, no kidding! At almost 60 now one of my must haves is also heated seats (my inner 20 year old is crying...)!

Nice to know your Toyota electronic controls work well. I looked hard at the 4-Runner and it was a close second choice. I think it's the better vehicle for off road with body on frame construction, but I just like the more car-like GC better for other uses 98% of the time. Also, I ski a lot so nimble handling plus traction on curvy roads in winter is important.

Looking forward to doing some easier trails with the club this season, might even get my wife to join me now!

I'm impressed Bob, still skiing is a very good thing. If I were to venture out on the slopes I'd spend the rest of my life in a wheelchair!

Every year a friend of mine comes out in his GC to hit the trails and he does fine. One caveat is he did put a small lift and bigger tires after his first visit but does moderate trails w/o issue. Yeah, that may be a hint but I suspect you'll go that route sooner or later anyway. ;-)

Bob
May 1st, 2016, 05:26 PM
Still scratch free! :lol:

I'm impressed Bob, still skiing is a very good thing. If I were to venture out on the slopes I'd spend the rest of my life in a wheelchair!

Every year a friend of mine comes out in his GC to hit the trails and he does fine. One caveat is he did put a small lift and bigger tires after his first visit but does moderate trails w/o issue. Yeah, that may be a hint but I suspect you'll go that route sooner or later anyway. ;-)

Ak! That first pinstripe is going to be traumatic, regardless of the color!

Good to know your friend's GC does well - something to aspire to!

dieseldoc
May 2nd, 2016, 06:26 PM
the new GC is basically the merc 350 you will enjoy it.
nice buy

dscowell
May 2nd, 2016, 09:03 PM
Nice!

Probably won't be able to get threw tough trails but that's not a bad thing. Sometimes I wish I had a decent comfortable vehicle. The things I would do just to have AC in my truck.:frown:

Brian
May 2nd, 2016, 09:32 PM
That's a nice ride! :thumb: :smokin:

Brad
May 3rd, 2016, 05:34 AM
I know exactly how you feel! Congrats on the new ride!