PDA

View Full Version : Anyone have experience with these rear brake calipers???

Jim
May 3rd, 2016, 10:15 PM
http://s7d9.scene7.com/is/image/GenuinePartsCompany/NWMDC?$Product=GenuinePartsCompany/930860

NAPA part number: CAL SE4689 (http://www.napaonline.com/napa/en/p/SEBSE4689/SEBSE4689_0248558257) (passenger side) & CAL SE4690 (http://www.napaonline.com/napa/en/p/SEBSE4690/SEBSE4690_0248558255) (driver side)

My 90 YJ rear axle has these "1982 Cadillac Eldorado" calipers on it. It seems they are fairly common on drum-to-disc conversions as they have an integrated parking brake system - a plus. The downside is they are unusual and not common and I'm hunting for "official" documentation.

Do you have any solid information on the operation or installation (bleed / adjust process) of them? I'd like to see factory print as all I've come to so far is "something posted on the Internet".

I am replacing both rear brake calipers. The driver's side installed and adjusted just as I have come to believe it should. The passenger side is proving quite problematic - as in - NAPA has, via their lifetime warranty, sourced the right side something like four times. We can't get a good right side caliper. I now "test them at the store" and if it fails the adjust test - they put it right back into the box and say they'll "get another one tomorrow". NAPA, I deal with Greg on this, is a nice guy but I'm getting tired of not getting a working caliper as he is likely getting tired of sourcing another caliper for me. He called his tech support on the issue and his support contacted their engineer - they agree with what I am saying - but I want more formal documentation/proof.

It is my belief (from "internet" research [which I desire to validate]) that the parking brake system is used to keep slack adjusted out of the pads - for these odd calipers. That the parking brake lever on the back of the caliper, when the parking brake system is activated, if the piston extends greater than 0.030", a one-way ratchet assembly inside of the caliper's piston will adjust the piston to take up slack from the pads as they wear.

It is due to this info that I, at the store, remove the parking brake return spring and run the parking brake lever through its full range of motion. Moving from at-rest to full-application, the piston extends outward from the caliper. On a good caliper, the piston should not retract to the original at-rest position - but should stay extended slightly - but noticeably enough by finger touch. On a "bad" caliper, the piston will retract to its original at-rest position.

It is my belief (from "internet" research [which I desire to validate]) that the driver needs to routinely use the parking brake to keep these calipers in proper adjustment.

It is my belief (from "internet" research [which I desire to validate]) that the re-builders might not test the one-way ratchet mechanism in the calipers. If this is true - and there is no real way to verify this - but at least I now test for piston actuation before leaving the store.

Anyone have experience with these calipers? Am I looking in the correct direction? Do you have any formal documentation to backup or refute my belief in these calipers?

Thanks,
Jim

Java
May 4th, 2016, 07:11 AM
Had a similar setup on my YJ with a Scout II Dana 44 rear. The parking brake does adjust them, you are correct across the board. I had one bad one from go and my Jeep pulled hard to one side, but after it was replaced they worked very well. This guy might have something for you:

http://classicbroncos.com/reardiscs.shtml

Patrolman
May 4th, 2016, 09:22 AM
These are also a very popular swap for rear disc brakes on Toyota models. There HAS to be some documentation out there for how to work with these and get the adjusters working right. I doubt the documentation will be under the Cadillac sites, but rather under Jeep or Toyota sites. I have seen lots of install write ups, but I don't readily recall info on adjustments.

redneck23ms
May 4th, 2016, 10:23 AM
http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/newbie-general-4x4-discussion/1979226-pita-el-dorado-brake-calipers.html#/forumsite/21027/topics/1979226?page=1

Patrolman
May 4th, 2016, 10:30 AM
Nice find Jim. I saved that link. I am still working on what my disk brake swap will look like for my Toyota. Might consider the Caddy calipers, so having that info is great!

Jim
May 4th, 2016, 12:00 PM
`just picked up what will "hopefully" be the last caliper / a good caliper!!!!!

I did the e-brake min-max test and the piston stayed extended ever so slightly.

If I recall correctly, the units that "work" have three color coded dots on the casting which I take as quality control marks. If I recall, one of the units that did not work (piston retracted to original position) did not have any colored QC dots.

I'll get the caliper installed tonight and will cross my fingers that all is well.

Thanks for the links - some are old news that gave me the footing I have while some are new. All are appreciated.

A professional mechanic I know forwarded a PDF of additional info on these units (with more possible to arrive). I'll likely create a web page for these things myself as a compilation to add to the pile of links.

dieseldoc
May 4th, 2016, 07:13 PM
sounds like a issue from the rebuilders.
it does't seem to be an oddity as we are running into a ton of issues as well.
I just had to pull a steering box out that had 1000 miles on it as the end cap got busted from the inside!
NAPA part as well, we still have yet to here from them about the return on it!