PDA

View Full Version : WTB: T14 front bearing retainer

FINOCJ
May 12th, 2016, 09:54 PM
Might be a bit of a long shot - Looking for a Jeep T14 transmission front bearing retainer. Not sure all what they came on, but certainly from 66-71 CJ5 with V6 and as well as 72-75 CJ5 with the I6 (these had a different input shaft but I believe the FBR was the same).

thanks - James

dieseldoc
May 15th, 2016, 02:27 PM
I would call Novak.
They might be able to find/source one.
I can't find anything but the T90 3speed on line the rest are all 4 speed stuff.

FINOCJ
May 15th, 2016, 03:00 PM
Nothing at novak. I am getting all my rebuild kits from them.

dieseldoc
May 15th, 2016, 03:14 PM
Nothing listed anyhow, but you might find it if you were to call them.
The salvage yard nother of town on I25 might be able to help.

FINOCJ
May 15th, 2016, 06:42 PM
Don't worry - I've talked to them a lot on phone! There are a couple jeep salvage yards around front range and couple semi-private guys who have some stuff sitting around that sometime help me out. So far I am striking out - the T14 wasn't used for many years. Herm Tilford (the overdrive guy) might have something that will work...he's swapping my 29tooth overdrive barrel gear for the 26 tooth I need for the terra low gears (plus some money of course).

thanks for the help

Jim
May 15th, 2016, 07:34 PM
There are a couple jeep salvage yards around front range

Names / Locations please...

FINOCJ
May 15th, 2016, 09:30 PM
Names / Locations please...

These are the ones I know of - nothing special and you probably know all of them already. Guess they are not really salvage yards but rather salvage business. Not really go pull what you want but rather what they have parted out. All come with the disclaimer that less than half the time (more like 25%) can I find what I am looking for from them as a whole. I think I have used each of them once or twice over the years, but sometimes one of them will have what I need. I think YJs might have more success than my old CJ. Sheesh, my CJ is Kaiser Willys, so even AMC CJs have better chance:

https://www.google.com/#q=jeep%20salvage%20colorado&tbs=lf:1,lf_ui:2&rflfq=1&rlha=0&rllag=39427939,-104921887,67530&tbm=lcl&rlfi=hd:;si:4502932846077786049

Republic Park is infamous for horrible customer service - a quick google ought to give you the idea - but it seems to be a bit better these days. Prices are extremely high but sometimes its all I can get. They are also open 7 days a week. I am holding out hope He can find me the FBR I need.

Haven't gotten anything from Jeeps Unlimited in years as they just don't carry any pre AMC jeeps anymore - but I still call them. I used them more when I had a CJ7 years ago.

FN also focused on AMC and later. Not sure what they have for a website - They use facebook it seems and I have to hack my wife's facebook page or give them a call. Prices are generally good if you they have what you need.

4x4 Off road and Used Parts on Willox in FoCo near you has been the friendliest and most helpul. But sometimes its not worth the gas to drive up there and back. I missed calling them before they closed the other day but will check with them on the phone - their online catalog is not always accurate.

Honestly - for my old CJ I get more stuff from CL (consistent group of people who part-out old jeeps on the side) and the classified section of my early CJ5 forum: earlycj5.com

The best 'salvage yard' I have found is a private collection between Bellvue and FoCo - Got about 50 CJs sitting in a field - you can almost see it from 285 right after you turn north out of town. Its a couple brothers who are connected to 4x4 scene in FoCo - they plan to retire and build nice, higher end resortations and resto-mods for a few select clients. They are trying to get something like 90 parts jeeps...and I wonder why I can't find an old jeep in a salvage yard anywhere.

redneck23ms
May 15th, 2016, 10:17 PM
4x4 used parts in fort collins is closed. they closed up shop about a month ago and are crushing out the rest of their yard. if you can't find anything locally, try opsting in the wanted section on pirate4x4. alot of people on there have a tone of parts sitting around.

Jim
May 15th, 2016, 11:49 PM
/threadjack

alex: They closed?!?! - bummer. I had good service / interactions with them (not to say I've had poor with anyone in town though).

James: Thanks. I'm not a junkyarder (though am getting closer to visiting some just for the heck of it). In hearing there were a couple Jeep yards, for a visit, they seemed like a good place to start - though from your write-up - maybe I'll hold off. Good luck with sourcing your part. Could it be machined easily / or adapted (machined) from an existing part?

FINOCJ
May 16th, 2016, 04:02 PM
Didn't know they closed either - thought I just missed their business hours the other day. Damn. I think the guy that owned it is one of the brothers that has the private early cj collection I was discussing - they got me some hard to find stuff. Especially a seat bracket that may still be the best thing I've ever done to my jeep. These days I probably could fabricate one reasonably well, but a few years ago that would have been an adventure. Can't believe the PO drove the jeep for however long with the incorrect seat bracket - caused the seat to be 3-4 inches offset to the driver side door and was not centered behind the wheel. Maybe others would be okay with it - but it absolutely drove me nuts - can't believe I didn't notice it when I test drove it, but I did before I got it home.

Jim - for your YJ, I think you will have a lot better luck with parts than I do with my Kaiser era CJ. I think both Jeeps Unlimited and FN jeep are both viable options. I am not much of a JY picker - but I do like places that salvage parts and sell them which is what all these places do. Its just difficult to get inventory information sometimes.

The possibly good news is that Herm the Overdrive guy in WA might have what I am looking for. He has a FBR for a T86 (which was used for 1 year behind the 225 V6) which should work on my T14 if the oil return hole lines up. Sent him a pic - see what he says. I am getting my D18 overdrive gear from him so would be an easy solution to send me both at once. Holding out some hope...

dieseldoc
May 16th, 2016, 04:54 PM
Dam, Sorry to hear it's getting as hard as it is to find parts.
The cash for clunckers really wiped out a ton of stuff.
I have not seen a good 74-79 2 door cherokee in years!
I would build one if I could find a good one!

Chris
May 16th, 2016, 06:46 PM
How about this one Brandon?
http://denver.craigslist.org/cto/5589065772.html

dieseldoc
May 16th, 2016, 06:56 PM
Nice. The fat fenders would be preceded but that's a nice unit.

redneck23ms
May 16th, 2016, 07:07 PM
[QUOTE=FINOCJ;302188]Didn't know they closed either - thought I just missed their business hours the other day. Damn. I think the guy that owned it is one of the brothers that has the private early cj collection I was discussing - they got me some hard to find stuff. Especially a seat bracket that may still be the best thing I've ever done to my jeep. These days I probably could fabricate one reasonably well, but a few years ago that would have been an adventure. Can't believe the PO drove the jeep for however long with the incorrect seat bracket - caused the seat to be 3-4 inches offset to the driver side door and was not centered behind the wheel. Maybe others would be okay with it - but it absolutely drove me nuts - can't believe I didn't notice it when I test drove it, but I did before I got it home.

yeah the schleppy's owned it. one of them still has a shop on willox closer to college ave. not sure the name of it but its in an orange and white building with some other shops NW of mcdonalds on willox. and one of their kids has a drivetrain shop called final drive. you may be able to get in touch with them and find the part you need. theres also another schleppy in bellview(may be the one with the cj junkyard ) that often has parts on craigslist.

Jim
May 16th, 2016, 07:14 PM
/threadjack-continued

I was in an office today (another jeep guy) and I commented on 4x4 Offroad closing. I was stopped with a "No, they did not close..." Keep in mind - this is second hand. I just was to their web site looking for details but didn't see anything there... Relayed to me today: The two kids are now running the places. One is spending more time away from the business such that the parts yard by Willox and Sheilds is closing or reducing hours. The vehicles are not being junked and my buddy was told by 4x4 that if he needed a part, they would get it from him. The shop on Willox by College is still open as usual.

Again, the above info is second hand, ymmv.

redneck23ms
May 17th, 2016, 08:33 AM
Talked to a friend of mine that had some parts at 4x4 on consignment. They have closed the used parts/ junkyard and are moving the cars that they want to keep to their houses and crushing the rest. They will still sell new oarts/accessories at the other shop on willow but they are done with used parts. Sucks to loose a decent parts place. He said they have to be out of the junkyard by the end of the month as that is when their lease is up.

Patrolman
May 17th, 2016, 08:51 AM
You can also try Avalanche Engineering in Bayfield (just outside Durango). When I used to live there, they had a stash of transmissions (and pieces) and lots of other parts from old Jeeps on the shelves. They specialize in buggies and such. I haven't been in there in years, but worth a shot to give them a call and see if they might be able to help.

http://www.manta.com/c/mmy3nnx/avalanche-engineering-inc

Also, on Ebay there is a bearing retainer for a T90. It fits behind the Buick V6 engine, so the front of the transmission is similar to the T14. I bolted a T90 into my 1966 CJ6 years ago. Maybe this will fit?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/T90-Jeep-3-speed-transmission-front-bearing-retainer-p-n-906201-/251753494347?hash=item3a9dad774b:g:XOoAAOxyD5pRJAK X&vxp=mtr

Patrolman
May 17th, 2016, 09:06 AM
This guy seems to have an entire T-14 transmission with bellhousing and t-case for $125. Unsure it is a 100% match for what you need as he says T14-A1. Even if just the retainer fit, you could sell off the rest of the parts.

http://cosprings.craigslist.org/pts/5535314742.html