PDA

View Full Version : Official Adopt A Trail(s) Clean Up Run Thread

96EXXLTinCO
June 3rd, 2016, 02:37 AM
Ok, Tom is right, overdue for starting this thread, I've just been waiting on an email back from Brant, still haven't got a response. So, for now, I would say let's assume the dates on the FS site are correct and our trails will be opening on the 16th. I've put up 8 dates in the poll to see what works best to get as many people as we can to come out for one of Front Range's funnest events. Also, on a side note, Leila and myself will be mapping, photographing, and videoing not only for a post run report, but also for an official trail write up for each trail on Trailsoffroad.com so there's a really good chance your rig could end up in a trail write up on the site, and the original write up with pics will stay on the site until such time as either of us give up ownership of the trail, at which time it's up to the new owner what they do with it.

Back to the original subject, it sounded like most were in agreeance that it may be best to wait till after the 4th of July weekend to go clean up these trails. But I'm tossing in prior weekends too in case one of those works best for the majority. Please select all dates that you would be available also, this will give us the best idea of how many people we could have on each day.

Please toss up any questions, concerns, comments. Other than that, I'm really looking forward to a day on trail getting to know some more of the great people here!!

Thank you,

EDIT!!! July 19th is a typo, it should be July th 10th!! Please vote for July 19th, if you're available on the 10th!! LOL.

This is why I need to proofread :rolleyes:

Brad
June 3rd, 2016, 10:28 AM
July 19th is a Tuesday

96EXXLTinCO
June 3rd, 2016, 10:32 AM
LOL, that'll teach me to be in a hurry, should be the 10th............unless the 19th works for everyone? LOL.

javaman34
June 3rd, 2016, 07:03 PM
The only days I can do are Sundays. I work on Saturdays.

The StRanger
June 3rd, 2016, 07:50 PM
Right now my weekends are catch as catch can. This may be me only run this year but I can't say for sure.

The StRanger
June 3rd, 2016, 07:52 PM
Right now my weekends are catch as catch can. This may be me only run this year but I can't say for sure.

JGRubicon
June 6th, 2016, 09:45 AM
THis sounds like a great way to start the trail/camping season for us. A great way to set the tone for me and the SO. We usually pack out what we find as we hike, but I always feel like I could be doing more. I think waiting until after the 4th is a great plan so that we can get any leftovers from such a high use holiday. Great event, thanks!

dieseldoc
June 6th, 2016, 06:44 PM
my vote is for after the holiday as well.
and not the 19th as its a tuesday!

TJS86TOY
June 8th, 2016, 03:11 PM
our trails will be opening on the 16th
Mabey I missed something, what trails?

xaza
June 8th, 2016, 03:16 PM
Barbour Fork and Devils Canyon. We clean them twice a year. Once in Spring after they open and once in fall before they close
http://www.traildamage.com/trails/index.php?id=290
http://www.traildamage.com/trails/index.php?id=291

TJS86TOY
June 8th, 2016, 04:24 PM
Hey thanks!

Mark
June 8th, 2016, 08:31 PM
Iam ready for Devils canyon .just let me know the date and I will be glad to help

96EXXLTinCO
June 9th, 2016, 01:00 AM
Iam ready for Devils canyon .just let me know the date and I will be glad to help

I see your in Idaho Springs Mark. We're in Central City, well, tonights our last night, but we're looking for another place up here, if you know of any rentals in the area let us know please!!

So far, according to the poll and comments, It's looking like July 10th is favored. I'll wait one more week for anyone else to vote on the poll and/or leave comments, questions, concerns etc. (Mostly because my daughter got into town tonight and leaves next tuesday, and no offense, but she's more important considering the limited amount of time I get with her, LOL) So speak up if you have any input please!!

Thank you to everyone who has commented and voted.

Chad

Mark
June 9th, 2016, 05:33 PM
I see your in Idaho Springs Mark. We're in Central City, well, tonights our last night, but we're looking for another place up here, if you know of any rentals in the area let us know please!!

So far, according to the poll and comments, It's looking like July 10th is favored. I'll wait one more week for anyone else to vote on the poll and/or leave comments, questions, concerns etc. (Mostly because my daughter got into town tonight and leaves next tuesday, and no offense, but she's more important considering the limited amount of time I get with her, LOL) So speak up if you have any input please!!

Thank you to everyone who has commented and voted.

Chad
I manage aspen leaf apts on west end of town,are you needing a one or two bedroom apt let me know

dscowell
June 9th, 2016, 05:39 PM
I can pretty much do any of those days. I do work Saturdays 6-8am but i can bust tail over to Idaho Springs after.

96EXXLTinCO
June 9th, 2016, 11:21 PM
I manage aspen leaf apts on west end of town,are you needing a one or two bedroom apt let me know

PM'd you

Mark
June 13th, 2016, 07:25 PM
So are we on for the tenth?

kkxj
June 13th, 2016, 10:38 PM
I'm down with any weekend next month.

96EXXLTinCO
June 14th, 2016, 06:30 PM
I got word from Brant this last weekend that our trails will indeed be open on the 16th. HOWEVER, I found out this morning from a Facebook friend of mine that they ran Barbour Fork 2 nights ago in the dark and cleared a bunch of trees and branches. So apparently they went ahead and opened it a few days earlier.

Judging by the poll results and comments left in this thread and the prior one, looks like July 10th is the favorite day, and the day which the most people are available, so let's make our Spring 2016 Clean-up run on July 10th.

I hope this date will work for everyone since this is one of the BEST opportunities to get to know each other a little better while we do our part to keep trails clean and open.

Post up any questions, concerns, comments!!

Thank you ,

Chad

P.S. - Sorry for absenteeism over the last week, my daughter was in town for one of her few visits throughout the year and I tried to spend all my time with her. Unfortunately, she headed home to Minnesota this morning :frown::frown::frown: so I will be back on more frequently again.

Mark
June 14th, 2016, 07:11 PM
Always great to meet with and spend time with family.iam a definite go for Devils canyon clean up on the tenth.let me know when it's on the calendar

Chris
June 14th, 2016, 07:33 PM
Hoping to make it!

Java
June 14th, 2016, 10:04 PM
Just put the 10th in my schedule, I'd like to do Barbour Fork.

Mark
June 23rd, 2016, 08:50 AM
Any word on Devils canyon?was wanting to help with spring clean up.

Java
June 23rd, 2016, 05:13 PM
Barbour isn't much tougher than Devils Canyon, most of the gnarly stuff has a bypass and it's a lot prettier, IMO. If we all end up there it will make the clean up lighter too. :thumb:

Chris
June 23rd, 2016, 06:10 PM
The RS folks ran Barbour Fork on Father's Day - too big a group but the pics don't show it being very messed up.

http://www.risingsun4x4club.org/forum2/showthread.php?t=24367

Jim
June 23rd, 2016, 07:25 PM
The RS folks ran Barbour Fork on Father's Day

Nice trailside repair of the suspension mount :thumb: (ratchet straps are recovery kit 101)

Chris
June 23rd, 2016, 09:20 PM
Andy's busted axle housing comes to mind! Great for holding CV axles out of harms way as well.

Fireball
June 24th, 2016, 09:53 AM
Just off the phone with the ranger station. I was told the boulder is not scheduled to be removed this year and Devil's Canyon will be walk-in only. The gate will remain closed.

Someone please reach out to them and see if we can get in there to move the boulder for them. Otherwise we just lost a trail for at least a year.

I'm going to try Barbour by myself today and do some camping.

96EXXLTinCO
June 25th, 2016, 12:46 AM
I've been emailing with our Forest Service contact Brant, and he's not indicated any such thing to me so far, in fact quite the opposite. He says that a neighboring district has some............micro-blaster? thing that he's trying to schedule to take care of this rock. I've told him we have a ton of resources in this group alone, let alone other groups and facebook pages I'm a member of. They are limited in tools and equipment, only having a skid steer for available equipment which will not touch this rock as it is. One of the issues I have learned is the location of the rock. He said it's about a mile in and the reason it can't be rolled off the downhill side is that if the trees can't manage to stop this thing it could potentially end up on the highway. I offered to get 4 winched rigs up there, 2 on each side of the rock (if there's anything uphill to hook a couple snatch blocks to) hooked to the rock with the other 2 to act as anchors and pull it back to the uphill side where a hole dug out could help secure it there. Of course if it was up to me I'd load up the "howitzer" they use to set off potential avalanche areas and turn it into gravel. He's says he will keep me informed of any plans with it and if I don't hear anything more by end of next week or so I'll reach out to him again. Not sure why they would say it's staying closed this year. Anyone else have any ideas, or access to equipment/tools that might be of use to break this thing down to a skid steer manageable size? Or equipment that could help in breaking it down or moving it? I'm sure if we could offer a solid solution they would let us take care of it.

Fireball
June 25th, 2016, 09:44 PM
Thanks! I just wanted to forward along what I was told. At least the info out to the general public is that it is walk-in only.
If the boulder goes down to the highway it's a CDOT issue and no longer a trail issue.
Let it roll, let it roll....

96EXXLTinCO
June 26th, 2016, 12:02 AM
If the boulder goes down to the highway it's a CDOT issue and no longer a trail issue.
Let it roll, let it roll....

LOL, maybe we need to just plan a late night covert op?

The StRanger
July 8th, 2016, 04:59 PM
Since I am not going to be able to make it you guys get plenty of pictures for me and have a great day up there

dieseldoc
July 8th, 2016, 05:16 PM
sounds like we need a skid steer with a breaker!
The demo company I used to work for could have handled this thing with ease.....
An Allied 555 hammer would turn that thing to small rocks in minutes!