PDA

View Full Version : News on getting Lefthand Canyon reopened

Jim
June 5th, 2016, 11:25 AM
If you have any news as to getting Lefthand Canyon reopened, please post it here.

Max
June 5th, 2016, 11:53 AM
There are big road construction signs at each entrance of the road with this website.

www.lefthandcanyon.com (http://www.lefthandcanyon.com)

Tom
June 5th, 2016, 12:31 PM
From Trailridge Runners last month's meeting minutes.

"Review of the Forest Service Lefthand Canyon OHV access meeting. Gordon and Adam met with the Forest Service and other organizations at the old Lefthand Canyon OHV entrance to review the work done at the shooting area to reclaim the lead. The OHV area is open to hiking and mountain biking, but there is not a good entrance to the area any more. The Forest Service is working on making the old Castle Gulch entrance, which is administratively closed now, the new entrance for the Lefthand roads and motorized trails. There is a 5 foot section of private property that the Forest Service is working with Boulder County to get so this new entrance can be used. Gordon passed around his letter to the Forest Service about Lefthand OHV area. Letter was approved to send to the Forest Service from our club."

I know that COA4WDCI is also showing an interest in getting it reopened.

We've the June TRR monthly meeting this Fri. There will probably be some kind of an update then.

Tom
July 9th, 2016, 04:03 PM
We had an update at last night's TRR meeting.
24 letters were sent to all levels of the Forest Service and numerous 4x4 clubs, and organizations, whose names you'd recognise.

Four replies. 2 from the boulder fs. One was a copy of a letter they'd sent a year ago, the other provided no new info, a third was from one of the organizations offering some support, the 4th I forget where it came from but it didn't provide any encouragement.

Jim
July 9th, 2016, 04:07 PM
Are residents near LHC voicing to keep it closed / how hard are they voicing to keep it closed?

Tom
August 6th, 2016, 07:02 AM
Here's a pdf file with copies of the respnses TRR has received so far.

https://1drv.ms/b/s!Ato6TRKXJiDQhJ4GNllzkfTGOqaWWQ

White Stripe
March 9th, 2017, 12:07 AM
Updates???

Tom
March 9th, 2017, 05:23 AM
I've heard nothing. Attended club meeting last night for the first time since Nov. due to illness. Nothing was reported other than one disgruntled comment.

Danimal
June 14th, 2017, 10:06 AM
Kinda feel like this will never again open. Does anyone know if there are any talks about taking legal action against Boulder County for keeping it closed? It is public land and it is clear that after four years they are dragging their feet intentionally. I have heard rumblings that local landowners have been "persuasive" in maintaining the closure, and that mining claims have been specifically leveraged to prevent access. Public lands cannot be closed to use because county officials do not agree with offroading or shooting, or if they are getting kickbacks from landowners. This was a good place for both of these activities and it should be reopened. Are there provisions for community groups to make repairs or improvements?

Maybe I am wrong and it is just low on the list of places to repair. Anyone have any new info?

newracer
June 14th, 2017, 01:13 PM
The Trailridge Runners would have the most up to date info.

I heard rumors of possible lawsuits due to all the grant money that was spent in the area.

jayson44
June 14th, 2017, 03:26 PM
it's open to mountain bikers. lots of riding going on up there.

J.

Danimal
June 14th, 2017, 03:29 PM
it's open to mountain bikers. lots of riding going on up there.

J.

Well it looks like I just need to put some pedals on my jeep and wear spandex...

jayson44
June 14th, 2017, 03:36 PM
Well it looks like I just need to put some pedals on my jeep and wear spandex...

it's lycra! and not all of us wear it. :lmao:

J.

Chris
June 14th, 2017, 04:03 PM
it's lycra! and not all of us wear it. :lmao:

J.

New official fr4x4 uniform. :D

Tom
June 14th, 2017, 08:48 PM
Just returned from a trailridge runners(trr) club meeting where i inquired about left hand. The forest service was supossed to have a proposed plan posted, not sure where, they haven't done so yet. Once posted there will be a public comment period, studies and other bueracracy crap. The thinking is maybe 5 years. Trr is not filing suit, but it sounds like the colorado off road vehicle association might.

Max
June 15th, 2017, 07:49 AM
Get it done.

Java
June 15th, 2017, 08:41 AM
IMO they have little or no motivation to open it again. It was a mess when it was, and the same people that would open it had to deal with all the BS when it was.

Chris
June 15th, 2017, 11:56 AM
I don't care if it ever opens again, every time I ran it we had to rescue some dummy that took Mom's Jeep out and got themselves over their head. I have no problem helping folks but when it's just stupidity I'd rather go elsewhere.

The StRanger
June 15th, 2017, 02:33 PM
New official fr4x4 uniform. :D

Nooooooo !!!!!!

Jim
June 15th, 2017, 10:39 PM
I'd like to see it opened, with one provision, for two reasons:

1) I liked some of the trail areas - they are fun
2) The target shooters can go back to "the canyon" near the entrance for their local shooting - and stop busting up trees at Bunce.

The provision - and this should happen at every popular shooting spot - police the abusers. Bring in a washing machine to shoot - OK - we'd better see you toting it out 30 minutes from now or else here's the ticket for littering. I'd earmark tax dollars for occasional enforcement to "get the word out" (read: education) on how citizens should act in this-here proper society.

dieseldoc
June 18th, 2017, 10:00 AM
For Jim,

I,agree with you on your provision. And this can be applied to so much more than just left hand canyon.
So much going on in our country that comes down to people getting some act right and not doing realy STUPID things.

I have not been up left hand canyon in decades. I would like to see it open, but maybe it needs to be a permit required or something.
I know many areas in canyon lands and permit required.
And these are the best trips you can ever take in these areas as they are pristine and you won't see any one but your group or family.
This would be a good way to keep traffic down, as well as retinue,for trail maintenance.
I know it,will get abused anyway, but as a permit required area it would have deeper consequences.

Just a thought.

scmike
November 30th, 2021, 02:39 PM
Here is some recent movement. An OHVP State Trail Grant Application.

https://cpw.state.co.us/Documents/Trails/Grants/OHV/Application-Submissions/2021-22/40-Lefthand_Motorized_Roads_And_Trails_Project-2022.pdf

Tom
November 30th, 2021, 05:13 PM
Here is some recent movement. An OHVP State Trail Grant Application.

https://cpw.state.co.us/Documents/Trails/Grants/OHV/Application-Submissions/2021-22/40-Lefthand_Motorized_Roads_And_Trails_Project-2022.pdf
Hmm. Sounds fishy to me. Boulder Ranger District as the sponsor? Why? They control access to the trail, and the trail sponsor, Trailridge Runners have maintained the trail for years and volunteered to basically rebuild the trail at their expense.

Jim
November 30th, 2021, 06:04 PM
1) It is nice to see some progress

2) NEPA - I do not see the acronym defined. Anyone know what it means? ??National Environmental Policy Act??

3) $91K to $117K for "planning". Call me the skeptic at the cost for planning (but still happy to see some progress)

4) Application date of a year ago or is that a typo?

Overall, I'm curious to see some progress!

Big Momma Hill - always a nice challenge!

The lookout to the east for Fireman Hill - would be nice to see that view again.

Some exploring old mine activity - bonus.

newracer
December 1st, 2021, 12:23 PM
Hmm. Sounds fishy to me. Boulder Ranger District as the sponsor? Why? They control access to the trail, and the trail sponsor, Trailridge Runners have maintained the trail for years and volunteered to basically rebuild the trail at their expense.

BRD is the land manager so that is why they are requesting the grant.

1) It is nice to see some progress

2) NEPA - I do not see the acronym defined. Anyone know what it means? ??National Environmental Policy Act??

3) $91K to $117K for "planning". Call me the skeptic at the cost for planning (but still happy to see some progress)

4) Application date of a year ago or is that a typo?

Overall, I'm curious to see some progress!

Big Momma Hill - always a nice challenge!

The lookout to the east for Fireman Hill - would be nice to see that view again.

Some exploring old mine activity - bonus.

NEPA is basically the process to make sure the project is environmentally sound.

https://www.epa.gov/nepa/national-environmental-policy-act-review-process

It cost a lot of money to hold meetings, send out notices, environmental impact statements if needed, etc.

Grant applications are due a year before it is issued so that date is likely correct.

Gretchen
December 25th, 2021, 08:04 AM
I predict that Left Hand will never open to 4 wheelers ever again, especially side x's and atv's. It is completely overrun by mountain bikers and hikers and Boulder people will fight their little hearts out to keep it closed to motorized vehicles.