PDA

View Full Version : Dual computer monitors?

Brucker
June 12th, 2016, 08:37 PM
I have been running dual 17" monitors on my main shop computer for the past few years. I like being able to have multiple programs running at once in different windows. For example, I usually have my music player up on the left screen, and also use it for things like drawings, articles, or videos. I use the right screen for what is being worked on at that moment, Solidworks, Excel, Square, etc. I also happen to split the left screen's feed to a different monitor that is easier seen on the other side of my desk. This comes in handy when trying to show clients things from my desktop without having to move a monitor. It's also pretty handy cause it can be easily seen from the shop floor, making it handy for schedules, chop lists, and even playlists.

I just received a new to me 30" monitor. Holy crap is it large. The viewing area is immense. Solidworks is insanely large. Small videos are now almost too big.

But it takes up a lot of real estate, so I am contemplating ditching a dual screen setup.

And for the record, it would be a 30" in landscape and a 17" in portrait. Now I am running two 17" each in landscape.

Chris
June 12th, 2016, 08:57 PM
Wish I had a way to judge Aaron but I'm stuck woth only an iPad or 11" laptop.

Had to go woth bacon! :p

Patrolman
June 12th, 2016, 09:21 PM
Frankly, you need triple monitors. :)

Jim
June 12th, 2016, 09:25 PM
Working in IT, most folks, once they have tried dual monitors, won't go back. I understand you are currently at dual 17's (it seems they are 16x9's vs. 4x3's). Only one client tried dual and went back to single. One client has three. Of note, is one office client, with dual twenty somethings, runs one in portrait and one in landscape. All other folks are landscape.

For me, dual, landscape 24" monitors. Left is my primary, right is extra for whatever is appropriate. These run 1920x1080.

That is my background... Now for your question: Should I run 30" only? Well, how do you like your 30" for resolution? IME, you might still be at 1920x1080 native resolution. Going larger (your 30" vs my 24") will give you larger pixels - are your eyes content with the resolution of the 30"? If yes, the 30 can stay, if not, you might not keep the 30.

Coming from your 17" experience, you likely almost ALWAYS ran your dominant window full screen. On a 30" screen you'll likely move away from running full screen and will stay windowed, shuffling windows like cards or sheets of paper so an edge can be clicked to bring it to the top.

If you stayed 30" only, you'd not have the 17" to show clients - how much would that be missed? To me, this is at the heart of your quest for 30" only or dual.

/ramble off

EDIT: Jeff jumped just before me - stirr'n the waters for the triple!!

When I went dual monitor, I tried independent monitor stands - and did not like them. In the end, I changed to a dual monitor stand and very well like the single pedestal setup. Such a stand could nicely allow your left 17 to swivel for clients. You could also go for a triple stand and keep both of your 17's - one dedicated for client far left, 30 in the center with another 17 far right (or above) for you (or dedicated playlist).
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA3BG14X7420

Tom
June 12th, 2016, 09:33 PM
Dual 24" monitors with desktop switching like linux @ work. I keep my email on one desktip, software dev tools on another, and browsers on a third. Oh and my monitors are on swing arms mounted to the wall which increases desk space.

Single 30" monitor at home but I rairly use that machine. Tend to tablet at home.

JGRubicon
June 13th, 2016, 03:36 PM
I runa surface with a 27" 1080p monitor at work. At home I use the surface with a 28" 4k display. The usable area is insane.

This is my favorite combo of all things computer so far.

RidgeRunner
June 13th, 2016, 07:09 PM
I have dual monitors at work and love it. Primary (left) is a 23", secondary (right) is the 17" laptop screen. I also use a USB keyboard so I'm not typing on the laptop. Love the set up and have a hard time at home with my single POS 15" laptop screen. I work regularly in AutoCAD and like being able to have CAD up on the main screen and anything I might need to pull info from (PDF, e-mail, word, excel) up on the other.

I say go with duals, even if they are different sizes.

Spieg
June 13th, 2016, 07:18 PM
Multiple monitors are great if you have the space for them, but nothing beats BACON!

96EXXLTinCO
June 14th, 2016, 06:11 PM
When I first joined this group I was running (from left to right) a Dell 24", a 32" Vizion smart TV as my main monitor, and then a Dell 17". I was doing tech support from home at the time and the with the rediculous amount of different programs and tools we had to have open all the time the 3 monitors was a blessing. I pretty much always used 2 outside of work and occasionally all 3. Running it all was a Dell precision workstation T5400, dual quad xeon proccessors, 24GB DDR2 RAM, 2 low end graphics cards. Cannot wait to be in a postion where I can set it up again. I love playing with photoshop and the 32" monitor is awesome for that.

I say at least set up the 2 (but if it was me I'd go all 3) and if you find yourself not using the 2nd then take it down.

Brucker
June 16th, 2016, 12:22 PM
Thanks all for the responses! I have been using the 30" alone to see how I would respond to a single monitor. Truth be told, I keep trying to access a phantom screen. I will be hooking up the second monitor later tonight.