PDA

View Full Version : My never ending jeep project

FINOCJ
June 29th, 2016, 08:58 PM
My jeep is going to be down for quite awhile longer. I had to change my clutch and fork so that started this whole project. With transmission and TC removed I figured it would be good time for rebuilds as well as putting in Tera Low gears in the TC. I have rebuilt everything back with the new gears and have just been waiting on a new overdrive gear that is compatible with the Tera Lows.

Well...The gear that I have been waiting on has hit a major snag. Basically, my Warn overdrive unit has apparently had the internal gears replaced at some point with some from a competing brand years ago (Husky). They are direct fit replacements for the original Warn internals in the Warn case and work just the same but the gear teeth are cut slightly differently. As long as all the internal gears are swapped to Husky, there is no functional difference - I didn't even know they weren't Warn gears as they are in my OEM Warn case. But....the slightly different gear tooth means they are not compatible with my new Tera Lows. So...I am stuck... but have options:

1) tear apart my TC and remove my unused Tera Low gears and build it back as it was - basically I will have spent over $500 (not including any necessary clutch/tranny work) and be back where I was with some nice paper weights. If I can sell the Tera Low gears for a reasonable loss, then I might only be down $250.

2) buy new Warn/Saturn overdrive gears and install into my Warn OD case and everything is good to go. Additional cost of $600-700 on top of what I have already spend for the TL gears. Not sure if my Husky internal gears have much value but I am not counting on it.

3) the long shot if possible - Work the old cj network and try to find a good used OD with Warn gears and try to trade my perfectly functioning OD with Husky gears for it (plus a little extra money). Outside of the Tera Low compatibility, there is no functional difference between Husky and Warn internal gears. Hoping I could do this for an additional $200 or less. That would be an additional $200 more than I had originally planned, but at this point its probably the best plan going forward. The real downside of this plan is that it may take awhile to find the right OD. My summer jeep season may have already ended...

78bj40
June 30th, 2016, 06:56 AM
Sorry to hear that. I would go with the third option, sounds like the best one, hope that someone have a good OD. Let me know if you need any help.

Patrolman
June 30th, 2016, 08:34 AM
Can you put it all back together for the Summer without the overdrive? Maybe then at a later date you can acquire the correct overdrive parts.

FINOCJ
June 30th, 2016, 08:50 AM
I would have to get the correct 'bull gear' and a PTO port cover. Plus the bull gear will be a bit unique as it will have to mesh with the Tera low - Tera Flex sells them - guessing its about $100.

Patrolman
June 30th, 2016, 10:10 AM
Gotcha. I thought it might be as easy as just bolting it together without the overdrive. Sounds like more work than it is worth. Hopefully you find a solution that works easily enough.