PDA

View Full Version : Hawks

Chris
July 1st, 2016, 09:02 PM
Anyone know anything about hawks? We live in a 6 story building and have been watching a couple hawks lately. Tonight Barb saw it fly into a hole in the building above the 6th floor. I think it's a Coopers Hawk but can't find much specific nesting information about hawks/falcons living in buildings.

Anyone?

Patrolman
July 2nd, 2016, 07:47 AM
I know that Falcons are fairly well known for nesting in tall buildings. I wasn't aware that hawks would do the same. Sounds like you need to set up a web cam!

Chris
July 2nd, 2016, 08:09 AM
Yeah, my upstairs neighbor would love seeing a camera pointing up there. I'm not sold yet on whether it's a Coopers Hawk, I looked local falcons but will look deeper today.

Thanks Jeff

dieseldoc
July 2nd, 2016, 09:46 AM
we have a mating pair of Red tail Hawks close to work.
they are using the cell town near santafe and dartmouth as there roust.
we are very close to the river so we see them with all kinds of critters in there talons.
they even raided the Doves nest in the trees in our yard!

not sure if they would use a building but would not be surprised to see them do so.
its a protective location that has a vantage point for them to look out before taking flight.

lucky you to get to watch them

Chris
July 2nd, 2016, 09:54 AM
Yeah, we're figuring out their schedule. Hunting time seems to be around dusk but less predictable other times. We watched one nab a rabbit recently. I'm leaning towards Perigrine Falcon now.

newracer
July 2nd, 2016, 10:20 AM
Peregrine falcon typically nest on cliffs so a building is a good substitute.

Chris
July 2nd, 2016, 10:49 AM
My thoughts too, I used to live in Minneapolis and they brought them in to the downtown area, gave them nesting boxes etc. to reduce the pigeon population. Apparently it was successful and the falcons return every year.