PDA

View Full Version : Hogback Fire

Patrolman
July 10th, 2016, 07:13 PM
I just saw this posted online by the Jeffco Sheriff:

Hogback Fire 23m ago

We and multiple other agencies are currently battling a large grass fire on the side of C-470 near I-70 and we're asking the public to avoid the area. The fire has been named the Hogback Fire and it is currently at 50 percent containment.

Colorado State Patrol has shut down westbound I-70 at C-470. Alternate routes are advised.

The cause of the fire is trash that blew out of a truck & hit power lines, which ignited and started the fire.

The fire is approximately 3-4 acres running northwest toward top of the ridge.

Seven agencies, including Golden, West Metro, Foothills and Fairmount, and three law enforcement agencies are on scene fighting the fire. The chopper just dropped water.

We are checking on areas of concern. No structures threatened at this time but Golden Police Department are evacuating the HazMat facility and the Rooney Valley Sports Complex as a precaution.

We will continue to post updates here and on Twitter and Facebook as they occur.

Additionally, we are now in a Stage 1 Fire Ban. Details are on our website and our Facebook page:
https://www.facebook.com/JeffersonCounty...

http://jeffco.us/sheriff/wildfire/fire-r...

Please share this information.

Shared with all areas in Jefferson County Sheriff's Office in Crime & Safety

FINOCJ
July 10th, 2016, 08:21 PM
Drove past it on my way home a couple hours ago - didn't look too bad at that time but there was only police type vehicles there and not firefighting type equipment or people.

ExplorerTom
July 10th, 2016, 08:31 PM
It's a tough area to fight a fire- steep and filled with snakes.

Jim
July 10th, 2016, 09:32 PM
The cause of the fire is trash that blew out of a truck & hit power lines, which ignited and started the fire.

Heading down from the cleanup run I saw this. Full shutdown of I-70 westbound (looked like things were being routed via 6 to Idaho Springs).

I-25 north of the Denver bypass there were a couple west side (southbound lanes) shoulder fires (cigarette butt???)

Chris
July 10th, 2016, 09:49 PM
Heading down from the cleanup run I saw this. Full shutdown of I-70 westbound (looked

I-25 north of the Denver bypass there were a couple west side (southbound lanes) shoulder fires (cigarette butt???)

dieseldoc
July 11th, 2016, 06:05 AM
We saw this as we came down from the clean up as well.
Hopefull it was handled quickly.

96EXXLTinCO
July 11th, 2016, 07:09 AM
steep and filled with snakes.
Hopefully not anymore :D

EKXJ87
July 11th, 2016, 07:14 AM
I was also heading down I-70 from the trail cleanup, that is a steep mountain climb I noticed that a fire truck was parked along I-70 running a water line straight up the mountain. Must be one hell of a pump to force water up that incline. Hats off to the firefighters as it sure was warm day without the added heat !