PDA

View Full Version : M. St. Vrain/Coney/Miller

TJS86TOY
July 13th, 2016, 07:36 PM
Going wheeling and dispersed camp there next weekend the 16th and 17th. Any Takers?
http://www.traildamage.com/trails/index.php?id=15 Coney

http://www.traildamage.com/trails/index.php?id=18 M. St. Vrain

http://www.traildamage.com/trails/index.php?id=174 T33

Most likely running Miller rock as well : http://www.traildamage.com/trails/index.php?id=104

redneck23ms
July 13th, 2016, 08:14 PM
i may be interested in going saturday. scuba diving on sunday so can't make it then.

TJS86TOY
July 14th, 2016, 07:40 AM
No problem. It might just be Me, havent heard back from my friend with his 4runner. I am not particular to which trail to begin or end with so if you go, you're choice.

redneck23ms
July 14th, 2016, 12:11 PM
I'm in I say we do msv/ Coney flats. Then if there's time we can do miller rock afterwards. I've never ran miller rock but I think it is fairly short. Just let me know when and where you want to meet. I'll probably trailer my rig down so I'll park the tow rig and trailer along 72 somewhere.

TJS86TOY
July 14th, 2016, 02:33 PM
Sounds good. Say 10:00 AM Saturday in the trailhead parking lot to MSV past Camp Dick. Looks like I will have one other with in a 4runner but he may not run Miller, He has slop in front drive shaft.

I'll probably trailer my rig down so I'll park the tow rig and trailer along 72 somewhere.

I will be trailering mine, so hopefully I can find parking In the trailhead lot. Im not sure, it's been years since I camped on the Coney side and can't remember if there is truck/trailer parking places there.

Your itinerary for trails sounds like a fine plan!

newracer
July 14th, 2016, 02:55 PM
IMO the best place for a tow rig and trailer is the pull off on 72 a little down form the intersection of 7 and 72. Right where a spur from Bunce hits 72. There is also another small spot just south of the turn in to Camp Dick.

redneck23ms
July 14th, 2016, 04:27 PM
10 am works for me. i could do earlier as well but 10 works.

redneck23ms
July 14th, 2016, 04:29 PM
i'm guessing this area isn't closed due to the fire right?

edit: mike are you coming?

TJS86TOY
July 14th, 2016, 06:00 PM

Just checked the latest. Fire 80% contained. MSV area well away from fire and no closures on Left hand canyon.

TJS86TOY
July 14th, 2016, 06:01 PM
10 am works for me. i could do earlier as well but 10 works.

Depending on work schedule tomorrow we may leave Friday, in that case I will post up and we can change meeting time if needed.

Chris
July 14th, 2016, 06:06 PM
Have you checked to see if camp fires are allowed. I know a lot of places have banned them recently.

Brucker
July 14th, 2016, 06:20 PM
There is also another small spot just south of the turn in to Camp Dick.

This is where I usually park my tow rig and trailer. Plenty of room and usually isn't anyone else there. Unlike the one near Bunce. That one can become a madhouse filled with idiots...

Sounds like a good time, wish I could join you all. I will be at a wedding, sweating my ass off in the 90*+ afternoon sun.

If something happens that you guys skip MSV/CF this weekend, I know Marcus had asked me to run it either Sunday the 24th or Monday the 25th as he has a camp site reserved at Camp Dick the night of the 24th. So you all would be welcome to join us then.

TJS86TOY
July 14th, 2016, 06:37 PM
Have you checked to see if camp fires are allowed. I know a lot of places have banned them recently.

Chris, Not really planning on one just because of how dry it is up there. Camped up at Georgia pass last weekend at 11,600 ft and everything was so dry. Had a small fire but dowsed it before I crawled in to the camper for the night.

newracer
July 14th, 2016, 06:40 PM

edit: mike are you coming?

Maybe but probably not. I have been out of town for a week and need to do some stuff around the house. Also might make a trip up to Kelly Flats to install a sign at the trail head.

This is where I usually park my tow rig and trailer. Plenty of room and usually isn't anyone else there. Unlike the one near Bunce. That one can become a madhouse filled with idiots...

I didn't think about that. Last week we ran it on a Wednesday so the idiot factor was minimal.

TJS86TOY
July 14th, 2016, 06:40 PM
run it either Sunday the 24th or Monday the 25th as he has a camp site reserved at Camp Dick the night of the 24th.

Appreciate it but I will be "On call" that weekend. No fun things for me.

Chris
July 14th, 2016, 06:43 PM
Chris, Not really planning on one just because of how dry it is up there. Camped up at Georgia pass last weekend at 11,600 ft and everything was so dry. Had a small fire but dowsed it before I crawled in to the camper for the night.

Nice to see good judgement! :thumb: Have fun!

JGRubicon
July 14th, 2016, 08:45 PM
I may have missed it, where are you planning to camp? I definitely wouldn't be doing Miller, but it looks like I can do everything else... maybe. I may break off to fish St Vrain while you gents roll over the big stuff.

newracer
July 14th, 2016, 08:56 PM
A Rubicon can do anything on all three of those trails.

Tom
July 14th, 2016, 09:09 PM
A Rubicon can do anything on all three of those trails.
Though if you don't have at least a couple of inches of lift you'll do some banging on msv-Coney.

I ran it stock in 2012 and now run a 2" lift. Still hit occasionally.

newracer
July 14th, 2016, 09:26 PM
Some but not that much. My 18 year old son with not a lot of wheeling experience drove my '07 JKUR through it last week with no issues. You do have to pick some good lines in a few areas.

TJS86TOY
July 15th, 2016, 07:45 AM
where are you planning to camp?

If all goes to plan we will be up on MSV trail. (somewhere)

TJS86TOY
July 15th, 2016, 07:49 AM
My 18 year old son with not a lot of wheeling experience drove my '07 JKUR through it last week with no issues.

I tend to agree, "Back in the day" I ran it in an almost stock chevy blazer and my friend in a bone stock ford ranger, now,, he was not happy about it but we made it . It's all in the lines.

In my opinion, for what it's worth, I think the most difficult areas are some parts of the T33 crash and the Rock Ledges on Miller. Of course, and it's most likely closed now but also a spur from the road that leads to T33 is fairly gnarly and steep as heck. But as far as I can remember MSV is mostly just a little rocky with creek crossings and on "rock garden" near the top, that in my opinion has been tamed down over the years. I don't remember Coney as being a challenge. But it is all really great scenery !

Tom
July 15th, 2016, 08:41 AM
I tend to agree, "Back in the day" I ran it in an almost stock chevy blazer and my friend in a bone stock ford ranger, now,, he was not happy about it but we made it . It's all in the lines.

In my opinion, for what it's worth, I think the most difficult areas are some parts of the T33 crash and the Rock Ledges on Miller. Of course, and it's most likely closed now but also a spur from the road that leads to T33 is fairly gnarly and steep as heck. But as far as I can remember MSV is mostly just a little rocky with creek crossings and on "rock garden" near the top, that in my opinion has been tamed down over the years. I don't remember Coney as being a challenge. But it is all really great scenery !

If you are referring to the spur on Miller that goes down to the river, it is not closed. It is open and had remediation work done by Trailridge Runners about 3 weeks ago. The obstacle was not touched but we built up the outside edge of the trail with logs and dirt so as you come down the obstacle one is not so off camber.

JGRubicon
July 15th, 2016, 10:08 AM
The camping situation sounds great. I've got some laundry to do and then I'll pack up. Thanks guys! I extended my diff breathers yesterday, coney lake, here I come.

TJS86TOY
July 15th, 2016, 11:38 AM
The camping situation sounds great. I've got some laundry to do and then I'll pack up. Thanks guys! I extended my diff breathers yesterday, coney lake, here I come

Glad to Have ya!

TJS86TOY
July 15th, 2016, 11:39 AM
If you are referring to the spur on Miller that goes down to the river,
No, this is off of the T33 road that is by the campsites. It's hard to see but it's gnarly.

Thank you guys for your work on the Miller trail!

TJS86TOY
July 15th, 2016, 11:41 AM
So, looks like we are headed out today. I dug up my little handheld 2 way radios and will be on channel 22.0 . Will be at the MSV lot between 9-10 so if you want a early start we can do that.

See you all up there!

redneck23ms
July 15th, 2016, 04:32 PM
that time works for me. i'll try to be there around 9:30