PDA

View Full Version : WTD: Tilt Steering Column for 1990 Wrangler

Jim
July 13th, 2016, 10:15 PM
Last I was out (cleanup run) I was dealing with a quite unusual "floppy steering wheel". Researching the issue, I came across the fact that this is a COMMON issue with GM/Saginaw tilt steering columns - just disassemble down to the tilt junction and tighten the four torx bolts. I did and it was still OVERLY loose - enough that I didn't reassemble the column. Bottom line - the metal of the steering column tube is broken (due to the bolts being loose for too long [learned a lesson in Life 101]).

End run - the steering column tube needs to be replaced and if such, it's likely that a junk yard tilt column assembly might be the best route. I've not visited a junk yard in many years and am looking for suggestions on a good route for a replacement (which junk yard should I call upon??). Close to FoCo is a pref.

Thoughts?

94ToyBear
July 13th, 2016, 11:02 PM
Ouch! Hard find in the yards these days.
Is there any chevy truck this can be replaced with?

FINOCJ
July 13th, 2016, 11:11 PM
Jeeps Unlimited near Erie has been promoting their new ownership and some YJs they got. FN jeep in CSprings would be worth checking - we could probably find a collection of us to shuttle the part up to you to save some driving.

Spieg
July 14th, 2016, 07:23 AM
Not 100% sure, but I've read that YJ column is almost identical to the ones used in XJs (and those are plentiful at most salvage yards).

Jim
July 14th, 2016, 08:57 AM
You're making me think I might be better off having the broken part from my steering column tube welded back into place...

I'll give Erie a call first.

Hypoid
July 14th, 2016, 05:34 PM
Not 100% sure, but I've read that YJ column is almost identical to the ones used in XJs (and those are plentiful at most salvage yards).I happen to have a parts catalog for 1990, I'll look this up and report tonight.

Hypoid
July 14th, 2016, 10:10 PM
Too many variables, PM inbound...

carpenle
July 19th, 2016, 09:08 AM
I had the same issue with the black XJ you helped me with. I just put in a JY column, but I wonder if Ebay would have anything? http://www.ebay.com/itm/1987-1995-Jeep-Wrangler-YJ-Standard-Tilt-Steering-Column-with-Key-010320-/182208781140?hash=item2a6c7d5b54:g:JHoAAOSwaZdXH2k F&vxp=mtr

Hypoid
July 31st, 2016, 11:16 PM
You're making me think I might be better off having the broken part from my steering column tube welded back into place...

I'll give Erie a call first.
Sooooooo, did you have to get another YJ column? Any pictures of the part that broke?

Jim
July 31st, 2016, 11:56 PM
Jeep's Unlimited in Eerie had one non-tilt and one tilt. My eyes opened wide with the $400 cost for tilt over $300 non-tilt. In the end, I want the job done and I do enjoy tilt so I said yes to them.

I was told it'd be pulled by 11am the next morning. "Should I call to check that it's ready?, No, it'll be ready by 11." I stopped down around 3 or 3:30 and while I walked in and was immediately cared for, it was about an hour before I was able to walk out. Online, there are mixed reviews. My impression is a mixed bag too.

This weekend I wrapped up (famous last words) the dash wiring clean-up and steering column swap. The steering column swap is quite easy (30 minutes out / 30 to 40 minutes install).

The PO re-wired wiper motor wiring was cleaned up a bit. Intermittent / Low / High work (though they did prior). Put the key in and turn to On - all lights on the dash come up. I turn on the parking lights - the fuse does NOT blow / I have good tail lights. Push to start - nothing. Not even a starter solenoid click. I'm 99.9% there's an issue with the starter wiring circuit at the steering column, but the battery is only showing 10vDC.

The Jeep will likely see a new battery tomorrow. Dash volt meter showed 10vDC. Battery date code is 10/09 (for what I take as a date code) so a seven year life is good by me. I did run the battery completely flat a time or two in the past couple weeks (leaving under-dash lights on). I put the battery on a charger and just tested starting - nothing - so I'll be reviewing the steering column's starter solenoid circuit. If nothing else, I can wire a temporary "start" button into it :D

I can post broken parts pix later. Bottom line: The four bolts at the base of the tilt assembly - holding it onto the top end of the straight, steel steering column itself became too loose. This stressed the steel of the end of the steering column. I have a 1/4" wide, 1/2 round junk of steering column steel on my desk. I also noticed that the "pot metal" that is part of the non-movable / steering column side is also fractured / not completely broken into pieces but is still "broken". If I was without any steering column option I think I could have had the steel part welded and the other failing part might have been OK enough so long as the four bolts remained tight.

dieseldoc
August 1st, 2016, 06:05 AM
Jim glad you found a replacement.
Jeeps Unlimited is a decent place.

Hope you are back on the trails soon.

Spieg
August 1st, 2016, 05:45 PM
Sounds like solid progress. Hope they didn't sell you a column with a wiring/switch issue.

Just as a general FYI to those with Saginaw tilt columns - avoid the temptation to use the wheel as a grab bar to get in /out of the vehicle. They're not built for the stress... especially common with lifted vehicles (no they didn't build them strong enough to do chin-ups).

Jim
August 1st, 2016, 06:01 PM
Thx for the tip. It did cause me to think - do I use it / put force upon it - I don't think so. I think I have both hands on the above head roll bar to get in/out.

If the switch is bad, I should be able to move the switch from my column to this w/o bothering to remove the column from the vehicle.

carpenle
August 5th, 2016, 08:49 AM
Glad to hear you are on the down hill side of the project Jim.

Jim
August 5th, 2016, 09:14 AM
The jeep's on the road, which is great.

Tail light circuit still blows (only when at idle - when running it stays good). The circuit is likely right near the 20amp fuse limit. I will need to do more work to track down the issue.

carpenle
August 5th, 2016, 10:00 AM
The jeep's on the road, which is great.

Tail light circuit still blows (only when at idle - when running it stays good). The circuit is likely right near the 20amp fuse limit. I will need to do more work to track down the issue.

Weird it is only at idle. :wrench:

Jim
August 5th, 2016, 06:18 PM
I think the issue is that when the voltage drops, amperage draw increases. The fuse is amp limited and blows. If I used the hand throttle to limit my low rpm to 1200, that might be enough to keep volts up enough to not blow a fuse. Though, long term - I need to find the cause.

Spieg
August 5th, 2016, 07:03 PM
Have you got a trailer wiring pigtail installed by chance? That has been an issue for me in the past.

Jim
August 5th, 2016, 10:05 PM
Have you got a trailer wiring pigtail installed by chance? That has been an issue for me in the past.

Yes, Yes I do...

Thx