PDA

View Full Version : Ouray Pics

Java
July 20th, 2016, 06:13 PM
Just spent some time travelling to Ouray. Independence Pass and the Independence Ghost Town were awesome, fantastic drive. Stayed the night in Carbondale, not much there to talk about, but the drive from Carbondale to Montrose was incredible. We saw the Redstone Coke ovens and bought the best cherries and pie I've ever had. I saw a group of five or six Unimogs with European plates on the way. Tons of awesome rigs all around. Ouray was great, everyone was friendly and the food was awesome. Silverton was incredible too, the drive there on the million dollar highway was the scariest paved road I've ever been on. This was really a hiking trip, we drove up a few fun roads to hiking trailheads but not much 4x4, so here's some pics of cool rigs around town. Our hotel was hosting the FJ Summit so there were "Turtles" everywhere. Everyone in town and on the trails was very nice, Ouray is a great town. Kind of like a mountain Moab. :thumb:

Java
July 20th, 2016, 06:32 PM
Engineer Pass parking jam on Tuesday morning. People actually left their trucks blocking the trailhead, rigs were backing up down the road...

Chris
July 20th, 2016, 07:33 PM
My favorite place! Hoping to make it there next month.

Java
July 20th, 2016, 07:40 PM
I just edited out my gripe, keep it positive. On the plus side I've never seen so many nice FJ Cruisers in one place before, those are some cool rigs. :thumb:

Spieg
July 20th, 2016, 08:35 PM
Ive been to Big B's. Great cherries (and the hard cider was pretty good too).

Mr6dwg
July 21st, 2016, 11:22 PM
That is a fun road to do. I thoroughly enjoyed it!

JandDGreens
July 25th, 2016, 11:53 PM
We went down there the same time last year, The Toyota event was going when we were there too. We only did Yankee Boy basin trail. The next time I go I plan on hitting several trails.

Jackie
July 26th, 2016, 12:18 AM
A wonderful place! We were there in 2013 and want to go back:

Java
July 26th, 2016, 08:47 AM
Great shots, Jackie! :thumb:

Dale
July 27th, 2016, 09:11 PM
Inspired by Paul's pix, we packed our bags and headed for Ouray last Friday in our pickup. It was to be a familiarization, sightseeing, and shopping jaunt. Returning last night, we hit Montrose, Ouray, Telluride, Cortez and Durango and we had a ball! Thanx for the idea Paul. We met folks along the way that ran Imogene, Ophir and several other passes. Now we want to go back with the Jeep. We were so busy having fun we didn't get a chance to take pix. Next time!

Java
July 28th, 2016, 07:33 AM
That's great, Dale!! I'm glad you had a good time. We didn't bring our jeep either, just sightseeing and hiking. :thumb:

JandDGreens
July 29th, 2016, 06:18 AM
I can't wait till I get to go back down and spend some Quality time with my wife down there. It has the most beautiful vistas (trails) and Dinning, Shopping, a nd the Hot Springs pool to boot!

We took my daughter and our grandkids the first time.

TJS86TOY
August 2nd, 2016, 07:52 AM
The more I see of Ouray, the more I want to go there! Might have to plan a stay there next summer for vacation.

JandDGreens
August 2nd, 2016, 12:44 PM
I would like to plan a trip for next summer. But it will only include a day of wheeling. as my wife would not be to keen on spending the whole time on the trails.

Lowfill
August 2nd, 2016, 03:54 PM
Headed there in a week to spend a few days with the brother in law and some of his friend wheeling the area. Wife likes t walk the cemetery in Silverton, and read the old gravestones.

Chris
August 2nd, 2016, 04:12 PM
My wife insists we stop at all old cemeteries as well Phil. They do provide interesting insight into life back then.

Java
August 11th, 2016, 07:32 AM
Looks like Expedition Overland was there when I was. I like their tents.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JykpTKmvYvk

dieseldoc
August 11th, 2016, 04:59 PM
very cool trip.
I love the Henries area, we got to spend some time there when I lived in Moab.
I agree Pual the tenst are way cool, have to see if we can find out who makes them as we are due for a new tent.

we have to get down that way, such wonderful terain and great small towns.