PDA

View Full Version : Jeep recall for airbags (UGH)!

Jackie
August 1st, 2016, 11:20 PM
http://www.thecarconnection.com/news/1104048_2007-2016-jeep-wrangler-recalled-for-airbag-problem-506000-vehicles-affected

Mine is affected. The warning light came on along with the audible "ding" sounds that won't stop today . I consulted my Jeep manual to see if I could get the warning to stop, but I didn't find a way. I have an appt. set up with the dealer to have them do their temporary "fix" because there are no new parts available at this time.

The warning came on as I was leaving the house for work and I made it less than a mile from my house when I pulled into a school parking lot and called my husband. I asked him to call and make the appt. then I took my eyeglasses off and continued to drive to work.

I really don't like the idea of being punched in the face by an airbag or NOT getting punched if I don't need it!!! And I really don't like the continuous "ding" warning every ten or fifteen seconds!

Anyone else here affected? The article states there are over 500,000 of us.

Patrolman
August 2nd, 2016, 07:04 AM
Fortunately we have not had our vehicles as part of the recall. Helps that my Toyota truck and 4Runner don't even have airbags though. Personally I made the decision long ago that IF our airbag equipped cars were part of the recall, I intended to disengage the airbag. I would MUCH rather have the airbag not go off than send sharp pieces of metal into me. Since the recall is only for forward facing airbags, they don't do a ton to help you in a collision if you have your seatbelt on. I figure we could live without them for a while.

newracer
August 2nd, 2016, 07:32 AM
http://www.thecarconnection.com/news/1104048_2007-2016-jeep-wrangler-recalled-for-airbag-problem-506000-vehicles-affected

Mine is affected. The warning light came on along with the audible "ding" sounds that won't stop today . I consulted my Jeep manual to see if I could get the warning to stop, but I didn't find a way. I have an appt. set up with the dealer to have them do their temporary "fix" because there are no new parts available at this time.

The warning came on as I was leaving the house for work and I made it less than a mile from my house when I pulled into a school parking lot and called my husband. I asked him to call and make the appt. then I took my eyeglasses off and continued to drive to work.

I really don't like the idea of being punched in the face by an airbag or NOT getting punched if I don't need it!!! And I really don't like the continuous "ding" warning every ten or fifteen seconds!

Anyone else here affected? The article states there are over 500,000 of us.

My JK is in the recall, this is the second time. FYI the issue is the clock-spring and it will not cause the air bag to deploy, just the opposite actually, it might not apply.

Fortunately we have not had our vehicles as part of the recall. Helps that my Toyota truck and 4Runner don't even have airbags though. Personally I made the decision long ago that IF our airbag equipped cars were part of the recall, I intended to disengage the airbag. I would MUCH rather have the airbag not go off than send sharp pieces of metal into me. Since the recall is only for forward facing airbags, they don't do a ton to help you in a collision if you have your seatbelt on. I figure we could live without them for a while.

This recall is specific to JKs not the huge issue with air bags that were installed in numerous makes.

TJS86TOY
August 2nd, 2016, 07:58 AM
This recall is specific to JKs not the huge issue with air bags that were installed in numerous makes.

Aforementioned Recall : http://blog.caranddriver.com/massive-takata-airbag-recall-everything-you-need-to-know-including-full-list-of-affected-vehicles/#list

dieseldoc
August 2nd, 2016, 04:39 PM
Hmmm....wonder if that is why mine just did this light an finger thing....
Had no issues after doing the steering box on Saturday.
Was coming home last night after doing oil change and changing the drag link....
And guess what want off!

Thanks for posting the link will have to look into this.

Patrolman
August 3rd, 2016, 04:11 PM
Aha. I thought it was part of the Takata recall. Sounds like a totally different problem, whether it is better or worse. Hopefully it is fixed ASAP!

Chris
August 3rd, 2016, 04:24 PM
My 4Runner apparently is among those being recalled for airbags. I got a letter from Toyota stating I'd be notified again as things progress. A Toyota mechanic told me it's not due to Takata directly and they can only be erroneously be triggered in the first 6 seconds after starting. Not something I'm worried about, it's gone over 200k miles w/o issue as it sits. I won't bring it in the previous 2 recalls because the "fix" is stupid. Unintended acceleration is one so they cut off the botton half of the gas pedal so it doesn't catch on the floor mat. The second is an ECU issue that, if fixed, automatically would cut power when the brake is used. That's not a good thing off-road.

Silly recalls waste everone's time and money...

The StRanger
August 3rd, 2016, 09:34 PM
One of the 1st things I did to my Ranger was bypassed the SRS system..
Dont wana come off a rock and "POOF""