PDA

View Full Version : New to FR4x4... New to Colorado...

neohic
August 3rd, 2016, 07:25 PM
Greetings, all!

My name is Ben and I had to bend a few rules to make my way here. See... I currently live in Alexandria, MN. :tisktisk: I know... I know... I won't tell if you don't. :redface: I've sold my house and I'm moving to Colorado Springs on August 20th. Looking forward to relocating! I'll try and leave the rust behind me in the midwest.

I'm no slouch when it comes to interweb relations. I've been a moderator over on ComancheClub.com for a while and I'm the monthly writer of our "Comanche of the Month" thread. One of my favorite things about forum sites are the relations between the members. I love telling the world about the reasons why someone is awesome for a while month at a time! Good websites like this are based on good members. I've had a chance to look around before registering... liked what I saw... looking forward to being a part of this. :hibye:

As for me, I'm a sucker for build threads and I think I'm pretty good at keeping up with what's new with my vehicles. Speaking of those...

'88 Jeep MJ Eliminator: http://comancheclub.com/topic/14063-88-eliminator-feb-2009-apr-2016/
http://i695.photobucket.com/albums/vv319/neohic/Red%20Resurection/IMG_1398_zpse2w5thjt.jpg

'98 Jeep XJ Sport: http://comancheclub.com/topic/45776-the-pirate-baboon/
http://i695.photobucket.com/albums/vv319/neohic/Pirate%20Babboon/Dresser%20MN%20Oct%202-3-4/IMG_0463_zpsmwt3uksq.jpg

Jeep MJ Camper: http://comancheclub.com/topic/32293-comanche-camper-the-comansion/
http://i695.photobucket.com/albums/vv319/neohic/Comansion/S5002713_zpsfyb61amr.jpg

... I'm into VWs also, but that's not really why I'm here, eh?

My wife and I are moving to Colorado simply for the reason that we're still young enough to make reckless decisions to move 900 miles just for the reason because we want to. Simple enough! We love it out there!... or "here" soon enough. :lmao: We've got an apartment and I thought I had a job until yesterday.

I suppose that'd be another good part of an introduction. Anyone know if anyone is looking for a good fabricator/welder? The position I thought I had lined up was working at 4 Wheel Parts in the Springs. I've been in there a few times and have been in contact with the guys since we started getting the ball rolling in April. Got a call yesterday stating that they're currently "fully staffed". Bummer. Now I'm working on plan B. This is difficult from the cold midwest with only a couple weeks to go!

Looking forward to owning up to the rule about going on at least one trail ride with the group. I'll need to make some new friends! If there's anyone here who knows of anyone looking to hire a good fabricator, certified welder, and all around awesome guy, then I'm all ears!

Hello FR4x4!

Brucker
August 3rd, 2016, 07:26 PM
Welcome

Chris
August 3rd, 2016, 07:47 PM
Welcome to Front Range from another MN transplant, there are a few of us here. I moved here in 2001 and my only regret is we didn't do it sooner!

Brian
August 3rd, 2016, 08:02 PM
Hello and welcome! I pop into that 4 Wheel Parts from time to time and there's always new faces in there. I'm certain their help wanted sign will be back out soon.

xaza
August 3rd, 2016, 08:14 PM
welcome to the group

The StRanger
August 3rd, 2016, 09:21 PM
Welcome to the dark side...
We have cookies !!!

Mr6dwg
August 3rd, 2016, 09:55 PM
Welcome to Colorado and to the Frontrange 4x4 club. I'm telling you now, you didn't get away from the mosquitoes. They're just not the state bird here. I spent some time near Cass lake and Lake Bemidji when I was a kid. Fond memories. Indians, vodka, big turtles,,,,,

Jim
August 3rd, 2016, 10:43 PM
I'm telling you now, you didn't get away from the mosquitoes

That is one depressing fact. Coming from northern Illinois, I was really hoping to NOT have mosquitoes (due to the dryness) out here... NOT.

Welcome to Front Range Ben!

:steer:

Jackie
August 3rd, 2016, 11:47 PM
I'm from MPLS originally. Also spent a lot of time in Alexandria because I had a lot of friends there. I haven't experienced any problems where I live now, but on some of the trails... It's a different story!

Welcome and have fun!

Hypoid
August 4th, 2016, 06:23 AM
Welcome!

Java
August 4th, 2016, 06:55 AM
Welcome! :thumb: Sweet rides! I moved here from Miami Beach when I was 29, I had a good job lined up with a tech company that was a major sub for Lucent and was expanding... on my drive here the company was underbid for the expansion project and my position never materialized. Turned out to be the best thing that could have happened to me, the doors that opened were so much better. You never know... I hope the same happens for you!!

EKXJ87
August 4th, 2016, 07:01 AM
Welcome to FR4x4 Love the MJ !

Brad
August 4th, 2016, 07:45 AM
Welcome!

Dale
August 4th, 2016, 11:31 AM
Welcome to FR4x4. Congrats, yours is the best looking MJ I've seen in a long while.

dieseldoc
August 4th, 2016, 05:09 PM
welcome, nice rides.
For work we have a good market here and a ton of construction getting ready to start.
If you are an experianced mechanic the opperating enginers union need good mechincs and welders.
look into it the mechanics ard in the upper 60k a year befor benifits. its the local #9

neohic
August 4th, 2016, 06:32 PM
Wow! Glad to be here!

Not much has changed over the past day. Still looking for a job but there are a few things happening. I'm hoping to stay away from mechanical work, but a job is a job if I start getting real worried. I'm really a metal worker. Nuts and bolts are fine, but not I prefer to cut/bend/weld stuff. :cool:

dr350jja
August 4th, 2016, 07:44 PM
Welcome Ben. Those are some really awesome Jeeps you have there!

dscowell
August 4th, 2016, 07:49 PM
Howdy! Glad to see you join this forum along with CC.

JandDGreens
August 5th, 2016, 08:11 PM
Welcome,http://www.frontrange4x4.com/forums/images/icons/icon14.png

neohic
August 5th, 2016, 08:37 PM
Howdy! Glad to see you join this forum along with CC.

Ah! I know this guy!

Looking into Predator 4WD. Looks like a neat shop. Sounds like a good group. Wifey had an awesome phone interview today. Hopefully at least one of us will be moving out there with something lined up.

96EXXLTinCO
August 6th, 2016, 01:15 AM
Hello, and welcome!! keep your eyes peeled, fabricator jobs pop up once in a while, but there's a lot of competition. 4×4 shops are especially tough it seems. I wrecked my back in fabricating so no full time no more.

javaman34
August 6th, 2016, 01:44 PM
Welcome to out little slice of Heaven.

neohic
August 8th, 2016, 05:10 PM
Thanks again, everyone!

The job search continues and it looks as though I'm heading west without a job waiting for me. At this point, I'm really not all that surprised. Can't exactly take a weld test over the phone. :lmao: Things are getting exciting! Big week coming up!!

neohic
August 25th, 2016, 12:57 PM
I'm here!!!... and trying to get settled in.

Jim
August 25th, 2016, 07:23 PM
Leave the stuff in boxes - hit a trail this weekend!

TJS86TOY
August 25th, 2016, 07:42 PM
Welcome!

Brian
August 25th, 2016, 10:37 PM
'Grats mang! :smokin: Hope settling in goes smoothly.

neohic
August 26th, 2016, 08:48 AM
Leave the stuff in boxes - hit a trail this weekend!

Register Jeep... get working locks in Jeep because it'll be parked outside now... figure locks for high lift, spare, and tube doors... finish shed that's storing my shop stuff... make nice with local relatives...

Maybe next weekend? :speechless:

Jackie
August 26th, 2016, 10:00 PM
One step at a time, Ben. Things will work out. It's beyond our control that the population in the Front Range is growing! (Somebody left the door open)!:lmao:

neohic
September 13th, 2016, 07:54 PM
Well... 'bout time for an update, I suppose.

I got a job! I'll be working at a local 4x4 shop starting tomorrow... technically started today, I guess? I got a call at 1:15 asking if I'd be interested in working there. By 1:45 I was already bending and notching tube.

Still no wheeling yet. Vehicles are licensed and registered as of yesterday. First time driving my XJ in this altitude today. Fingers crossed the sensors will adjust to it's not so much of a slug. Poor thing... running on a few month old gas too. Looks pretty good with those fancy green plates though!

Jim
September 13th, 2016, 08:40 PM
Congrats!

No worry for the sensors. You went from about 1K (MN, yes?) to about 5K here for a 4K difference. On a Red Cone day trip you'll go from 5K to 12.8 and back.

Chris
September 13th, 2016, 08:54 PM
Congratulations on the job! That's gotta make you feel good!

neohic
October 10th, 2016, 08:30 PM
Hello, gang!

Still working, and I got out wheeling a couple times. Went up into Cheyenne Mountain a couple weeks ago and yesterday a group of us ran out to Buena Vista... where I cracked apart my welded spider gears in the 8.25. Heard some nasty clunking this morning. Looks like my wheeling season was short lived... BUT AWESOME!!! :2thumbup:

The StRanger
October 10th, 2016, 08:48 PM
! (Somebody left the door open)!:lmao:

Ya, I had to crawl under the door.

JandDGreens
October 10th, 2016, 08:54 PM
Great you got the chance to go wheeling some. The season won't be over for a while. In fact since you live down south a lot of the trails just west of the springs is often open year round. Hop you get things fixed and can get few more runs in before the end of the year.

neohic
October 9th, 2023, 05:44 PM
Greetings, all!… again!

It’s been a while since I’ve been around but I made it back! Since moving to Colorado seven years ago there’s been a ton of changes for me, I’ve strayed a bit from the off-road crowd, but I’m hoping to get back on that wagon. I’m located in Woodland Park now and I’ll be looking for somewhat simpler trail rides to tag along with. I’m not too afraid of getting real rad but my “wheeler” CJ5 is a far cry from what my old XJ was.

Feels good to be back! :hibye:

FINOCJ
October 9th, 2023, 06:41 PM
You just need to push that old cj a bit more!

neohic
October 9th, 2023, 06:58 PM
You just need to push that old cj a bit more!

The CJ has come a long way since I’ve gotten it in terms of reliability. You probably already know my Jeep… we’re like a crossover episode!

http://earlycj5.com/xf_cj5/index.php?threads/130563/
https://comancheclub.com/uploads/monthly_2023_08/IMG_5321.jpeg.71ef9c418f57fb597c068cc6ae74afb2.jpe g

My goal is to tag along with the EarlyCJ5 Rubicon run at some point. The Colorado Epic should probably be on my list one of these years too. I understand there’s a bit of a span between “somewhat simple” and the Rubicon. :lmao:

JandDGreens
October 9th, 2023, 09:16 PM
Nice looking rig, Ben. Mine has been down for a year now. Need to replace the clutch, hoping that's all that's wrong with it. We are planning on selling it after it's fixed unless something changes our mind. IE; "I can't find my way to part with it?" Hoping to get-er fixed by next wheeling season and get a temporary permit take it up a couple of times before we decide what to do with it.
Hope to get the chance to roll with you some day.

PS: You should start a trail run thread to develop some interest on a day you are available. Agree on a good trail and set things in motion. there are still some opportunities before the snow shuts the door on some really terrific places trails.

neohic
October 11th, 2023, 07:44 PM
Nice looking rig, Ben… You should start a trail run thread to develop some interest on a day you are available. Agree on a good trail and set things in motion. there are still some opportunities before the snow shuts the door on some really terrific places trails.

Thanks! I wish I had some time in mind but my project load leading up to winter is daunting. Hoping to have a four speed swap done on the CJ in time for springtime trails.