PDA

View Full Version : No more Cruise Nights in Longmont...

Brucker
August 4th, 2016, 12:23 PM
Well, it's a damn shame it came to this but after 46 years of doing a Cruise Night, this years was the last.

Here is the article:

http://www.timescall.com/longmont-local-news/ci_30206405/colorodans-calls-end-annual-longmont-rod-festival

Unacceptably rowdy behavior by a number of non-member motorists and bikers at its July 23 downtown Rod Festival cruise night has led ColoRODans of Longmont to announce it will cease holding the annual event.
"We had a bunch of unruly characters ruin it," said Terry Campbell, ColoRODans' Rod Festival chairman.
"The lack of respect shown by a few reckless and inconsiderate drivers endangered both the safety of the spectators and the safety of other car owners who were attempting to enjoy a cruise night on Main Street," Campbell said.
He cited such problems as "constant burnouts," deliberately exhausted clouds of coal-colored smoke, racing motorcycles and the noisy "over-revving of tuner cars."
Those, Campbell said, "were just a few of the totally inappropriate actions by these inconsiderate and self-absorbed individuals" — interloping drivers who butted into the ColoRODans annual city-permitted event for street rods and specialty, antique, classic, vintage, restored, and customized cars and trucks.
"We had a lot of phone complaints" about what Campbell said is supposed to be "a family-friendly event."
He said ColoRODans' board of directors decided Tuesday night that, after 46 years, it won't be sponsoring any more of the traditional rod festivals.
Campbell's message to the offending drivers, who he said didn't appear to be ColoRODans or other regular festival participants: "We hope that you will experience at least some shame for your careless disregard of the other drivers and the spectators."
He said ColoRODans wants to apologize to people who live in the neighborhood, particularly residents of The Village Place at Longmont, 600 Main St., "who had to listen to the incessant and unnecessary revving of engines of those inconsiderate drivers" — as well as to people who were trying to dine outside at downtown restaurants that night but "were assaulted with the 'rolling coal' from the inappropriate actions of some diesel truck drivers."
The car club also extends its apologies, Campbell said, "to the parents who had small children in the crowds and left early" because of the offending motorists who did burnouts in "blatant disregard" of those children's safety.
Many of the street rodders belonging to ColoRODans or similar clubs — along with other street-rod and classic car and truck owners who annually show up for the Longmont Rod Festival — left early themselves, "due to the antics of these careless drivers," Campbell said.
This year's downtown Rod Festival again attracted hundreds of onlookers who showed up with lawn chairs and blankets to watch the show as cars and trucks cruised along Main between Second Avenue and Colo. 66, as well as what Campbell estimated were about 1,500 participating vehicles.
Campbell said, however, that "it has become apparent to us as a car club that we can no longer sponsor an annual festival."
He said, "ColoRODans will not be put in a position of being held responsible for childish, spoiled, self-centered actions of these inconsiderate people who deemed it their right to drive recklessly and disregard both the rule of law on how a driver is supposed to drive a car, and disregard the safety of our fellow citizens."
Campbell said ColoRODans is thankful, however, to "the loyal street rodders who have come to Longmont over the past 46 years, even traveling as far as 1,000 miles to be part of our historic and annual event."
Campbell, a former Colorado State Patrol sergeant, also expressed gratitude to Longmont police, "who have tried to be a presence so that drivers would be on their best behavior, and working with us on the safety plans needed for such an event."
Also deserving of ColoRODans' applause, Campbell said, were the Longmont Downtown Development Association, the Longmont Visitors Association, and Michelle Gomez, an administrative assistant in the Longmont city clerk's office and Jeff Friesner, a city recreation manager, "who were always willing to help us through the myriad of paperwork and logistics of a Rod Festival."
He also issued what he said is "a huge thanks the the Longmont and surrounding area citizens who have shared our passion for street rodding, who have helped us support the local charities and who have enjoyed sharing with us car enthusiasts the Longmont historical ties to the automobile and cruising."
Campbell said ColoRODans has no plans to move the Rod Festival to another city: "It's best that we shut it down," he said.
He said the club intends, however, to continue non-festival activities that focus on community projects and raising funds for local charities.

My property is 3 blocks off Main St. And it was loud again this year. But it always is. I honestly didn't notice anything different this year than last.

So what are you all's thoughts?

Chris
August 4th, 2016, 01:00 PM
Not moving it signals they just don't want to do it anymore. I'm sure there a cities that would welcome it.

It's a shame when something like this that has a long history ends on a note like this.

EKXJ87
August 4th, 2016, 02:46 PM
"were just a few of the totally inappropriate actions by these inconsiderate and self-absorbed individuals" — interloping drivers who butted into the ColoRODans annual city-permitted event for street rods and specialty, antique, classic, vintage, restored, and customized cars and trucks.

I'm not sure how to respond, it is a shame because I like most all automotive venues, It sound like with 1500 participating vehicles did they just let anyone enter or was it just "clubs".

dieseldoc
August 4th, 2016, 04:56 PM
what a shame.
I have been up there many times as a younger man to watch and check out the rods.
but as with many events (car relaited or not) tthe younger crowd is not showing concideration, or respect for the event.
thus many clubs are not putting on said events any more.
there is even issues at easyer jeep that are getting to be bigger issues every year.

The StRanger
August 4th, 2016, 06:38 PM
All it takes is a group of punk kids (not that they are all kids) that can destroy a good thing. Back in day we used to cruise state street ( SLC) every weekend until we had a large influx of undesirables and came with a lot of fights and gun violence. It didn't even last a year after that....

fredrok
August 4th, 2016, 07:52 PM
I try to attend as many Golden Super Cruises as I can in our old bus but I often wonder if the same will eventually happen. The crowds keep getting bigger so just a matter of time.

The StRanger
August 4th, 2016, 08:20 PM
I try my best to hit the Fri night cruisw at Hamden and Tower.
Its change a lot with losing half the parking lot

Patrolman
August 5th, 2016, 08:35 PM
The locals should just accept that it is only 1 night a year and understand it is just part of living there. I am sure there was pressure from them to do something. The same was true for the Hot Rod Hillclimb. It won't be in Georgetown any longer (where it was originally founded). Central City on the other hand saw the attraction that it was and has offered to hose it this year. It won't be the same, but I am sure the residents will be more understanding.

Personally, we live close enough to Bandimere to EASILY hear the cars on a typical night. A couple weeks ago was the Mile High Nationals. They ran the top fuel and funny cars until 11PM on Saturday night. It only happens once a year, and we always just plan to either be out that night or watch a late movie. We knew better when we bought the house.

Jim
August 5th, 2016, 10:16 PM
We knew better when we bought the house.

Hot DANG!!! Solid reason - GREAT TO HEAR (no noise pun intended)

When I started to fly the ultralight up here, one of the other pilots said - it's NOT OK to fly over the golf course (legally, I can't), but they did say - do not avoid that new housing development - we were here first - they need to get used to us. Pro/Con can be thought. I don't wish to bother someone on purpose - but I do get the meaning of the comment.

Patrolman
August 5th, 2016, 11:18 PM
Honestly my neighborhood and my house were here LONG before the drag strip, but we didn't move in until just a few years ago. I am sure they people who were living in this neighborhood when the drag strip was built were rather surprised! We were well aware and it is all very tolerable.

I WAS rather surprised to see ultralights flying on a regular basis here on weekends and evenings. They aren't at all annoying, and my daughter gets a kick out of them so it doesn't bother me at all. Honestly my neighbor flying the drone is more concerning, but he is still very courteous and careful.

If I were to live in Longmont I would either partake in the cruise night or make plans to be away. Those who don't do either and complain are just selfish.

fredrok
August 6th, 2016, 09:16 AM
Ironically, I just spoke with a media/marketing higher-up from the Golden city council last night and within our topics I brought up the Super Cruise. He personally loves it but was joking that they've been instructed not to do any promotion for it (like on their Facebook, etc.) because the city really wishes it would just "go away". "More hassle than it's worth" I believe was their impression. As politics go, I'm sure all it will take is to get the "right" talking head within their ranks at some point and it would come to an end.

Jackie
August 6th, 2016, 06:35 PM
It seems there is always "that guy" (or girl) who A: calls to complain or B: has to ruin the party by behaving badly.

I do think that if people were being dangerous to others in their parading, then they should be corrected or ejected from the event, but for a once-a-year thing??? I don't think people should complain about the noise.

We've had the police called on us a couple times before and were forced to shut down our sound system when we were hosting events such as a wedding reception for my sister and a college graduation party for my daughter. in both cases, the officers said they didn't think the music was too loud at all... but had to shut us down because of the complaints from ONE neighbor (who had been invited to the event but declined). :rolleyes:

Bob
August 6th, 2016, 08:21 PM
The locals should just accept that it is only 1 night a year and understand it is just part of living there. I am sure there was pressure from them to do something. The same was true for the Hot Rod Hillclimb. It won't be in Georgetown any longer (where it was originally founded). Central City on the other hand saw the attraction that it was and has offered to hose it this year. It won't be the same, but I am sure the residents will be more understanding.

Personally, we live close enough to Bandimere to EASILY hear the cars on a typical night. A couple weeks ago was the Mile High Nationals. They ran the top fuel and funny cars until 11PM on Saturday night. It only happens once a year, and we always just plan to either be out that night or watch a late movie. We knew better when we bought the house.

Now that is a refreshing attitude! There are way too many people who move in next to an airport or farm or whatever and then immediately complain about it and try to get it shut down or severely restricted.

Jackie
August 7th, 2016, 03:00 PM
Now that is a refreshing attitude! There are way too many people who move in next to an airport or farm or whatever and then immediately complain about it and try to get it shut down or severely restricted.
I agree 100%. One person might want lights-out and bed-time by 8 or 9:00, but the rest of the neighbors... might have better things to do on their night off. (And only once a year?). Gimmee a break. I think the complainers should either go out and experience the event, or put their ear plugs in and go to bed - but leave people alone to enjoy their own experience for one night

Hypoid
August 8th, 2016, 12:21 AM
Campbell, a former Colorado State Patrol sergeant...Makes perfect sense to me: He doesn't want to deal with the crap any more. He'd rather do things that make a positive impact.