PDA

View Full Version : PDF Maps Changing license model and more

Tom
August 8th, 2016, 12:27 PM
I've been a beta tester for the PDF Maps Windows phone edition. Yesterday they announced that the beta was over and that they had released version 1 of 'Avenza Maps'.
The new license allows one to import a maximum of 5 custom maps.

In the past on other os's I've just imported the Stay the Trail GEO pdfs. These are considered custom maps so one can only import 5 of them. In order to do more one must
purchase a Pro license to the tune of $49 per year.

That said it is not as big an issue as it may first appear. These Colorado MVUM maps areall available via the Avenza store as free maps. Maps downloaded and installed from the store are not considered custom maps so one can install as many as they want. So far I have only found one Colorado map that is not available via the store.

This is just a heads up because the IOS and Android versions will be updating soon and become 'Avenza Maps'

Jim
August 8th, 2016, 12:44 PM
What is the charge to use "store" maps? Per map cost vs. $49/year cost?

Could I import 1 custom map then uninstall it and import 1 custom map and be only dinged 1 for custom vs 2?

Tom
August 8th, 2016, 01:19 PM
What is the charge to use "store" maps? Per map cost vs. $49/year cost?

Could I import 1 custom map then uninstall it and import 1 custom map and be only dinged 1 for custom vs 2?The forest service MVUM maps are free, as I mentioned in the first post, as are a bunch of other maps. Version 1 doesn't even connect to the for money part of the store yet.

Jim
August 8th, 2016, 01:29 PM
I guess your first post confuses me on Avenza's versioning. Is your comment for ONLY the Windows version of Avenza PDF maps? I would "assume" if they are putting out a version 1 it would be across all supported platforms (all being version 1). Perhaps this is ONLY for Windows?

My Android version is 1.7.3.

Will all Avenza PDF Maps be going paid? I guess, since you are a beta tester for them, what's the master plan? Will folks need to pony up cash (which is not necessarily bad though I might balk at $50 / year) or will USFS maps with Avenza be free (on all OS's)? In this latter case, will there be a limit to 5 (your text seems to say no, as they are free store vs. custom)?

Tom
August 8th, 2016, 02:06 PM
They will be putting out a version 1 of Avenza Maps for all OS's. Currently only the windows phone version is released.

Tom
August 8th, 2016, 02:08 PM
I guess your first post confuses me on Avenza's versioning. Is your comment for ONLY the Windows version of Avenza PDF maps? I would "assume" if they are putting out a version 1 it would be across all supported platforms (all being version 1). Perhaps this is ONLY for Windows?

My Android version is 1.7.3.

Will all Avenza PDF Maps be going paid? I guess, since you are a beta tester for them, what's the master plan? Will folks need to pony up cash (which is not necessarily bad though I might balk at $50 / year) or will USFS maps with Avenza be free (on all OS's)? In this latter case, will there be a limit to 5 (your text seems to say no, as they are free store vs. custom)?

What I have stated will be true for all OS's. USFS MVUMs will be free.

Importing from a pdf file downloaded elsewhere is considered a custom map. You can only do 5 of those. You can use unlimited maps if you get them from the store.

Jim
August 8th, 2016, 02:52 PM
Thanks - getting clearer - but still some muddy water...

I have Avenza Systems Inc "PDF Maps for Android" on my phone. It's at version 1.7.3, Build 31. It's been on the phone for the past year+. I'm using free features/have not paid any $$ towards this program.

Is this program the same as what you are speaking of as you're saying version 1, for all OS's... "Yesterday they announced that the beta was over and that they had released version 1 of 'Avenza Maps'".

Chris
August 8th, 2016, 02:59 PM
I was wondering the same thing since I have PDF Maps 2.7.3 on my iPad. Just curious really as I now used a dedicated GPS which is more accurate and convenient IMHO.

Tom
August 8th, 2016, 04:35 PM
Thanks - getting clearer - but still some muddy water...

I have Avenza Systems Inc "PDF Maps for Android" on my phone. It's at version 1.7.3, Build 31. It's been on the phone for the past year+. I'm using free features/have not paid any $$ towards this program.

Is this program the same as what you are speaking of as you're saying version 1, for all OS's... "Yesterday they announced that the beta was over and that they had released version 1 of 'Avenza Maps'".yes Jim that's the app I am talking about. The next release for IOS and Android is being rebranded as Avenza Maps, with the licensing changes I have mentioned. I believe its will also be reversioned as version one on those platforms, but perhaps not. The windows phone release is the first verion on windows phone.

I am just simply attempting to give everyone a heads up. With the next release there are licensing changes.

If you need to use custom maps these changes could cost you.

96EXXLTinCO
August 9th, 2016, 07:40 AM
Being a PDF maps app user quite frequently, everything you said made sense to me. My only question is you mentioned that you have only found one Colorado map that was not available in the Avenza store. Right now I only use the MVUM's and to be honest I haven't really shopped through the avenza store. Is there any other free maps in the store that you use and would recommend?

Tom
August 9th, 2016, 02:59 PM
Being a PDF maps app user quite frequently, everything you said made sense to me. My only question is you mentioned that you have only found one Colorado map that was not available in the Avenza store. Right now I only use the MVUM's and to be honest I haven't really shopped through the avenza store. Is there any other free maps in the store that you use and would recommend?

After a bit of searching I was able to find the last Stay the Trail MVUM in the store. There are lots of free maps. I don't use many of them. USGS topos are free. And I haven't looked for the other custom ones I've used in the past.

Found an issue with the windows phone version. If you use the windows phone version turn off backing up apps. It some how causes the map app to be disabled and the only fix is a reinstall of app and the map/data

fredrok
August 9th, 2016, 06:53 PM
Hey Tom,
While I have your ear (and my apologies for somewhat hijacking the thread), I have a ton of locations pinned on my MVUMs for campsites, etc. (PDF Maps app) Best I can tell, there is no way to save or export these in some way as not to lose them when you have to do a factory reset/restore on your iPad or for any other scenario where you're forced to re download maps. Is that not possible or can you educate me/us on doing that please?
Thanks

Tom
August 9th, 2016, 07:02 PM
Hey Tom,
While I have your ear (and my apologies for somewhat hijacking the thread), I have a ton of locations pinned on my MVUMs for campsites, etc. (PDF Maps app) Best I can tell, there is no way to save or export these in some way as not to lose them when you have to do a factory reset/restore on your iPad or for any other scenario where you're forced to re download maps. Is that not possible or can you educate me/us on doing that please?
ThanksI am no expert but no of no way. I suppose if you have it on a memory card one could copy the card to a pc. And copy it back in case of a crash.