PDA

View Full Version : WTB: pins for my quick disconnects

jayson44
August 10th, 2016, 03:31 PM
anyone know where to get the pins used in sway bar disconnects? one of mine snapped the other day...

J.

Kurtis
August 10th, 2016, 03:49 PM
I got a different type of Ace Hardware they work really really well

jayson44
August 10th, 2016, 03:54 PM
yeah, I walked into an Advanced Auto and they didn't have anything that would work. I have to go to Lowes on Friday, so I'll check there. any idea what they're called? or what you used is called?

J.

Kurtis
August 10th, 2016, 03:57 PM
No they just had assortment of pens and I found the ones that matched up as close as I could I think they actually work better

jayson44
August 10th, 2016, 04:01 PM
cool. thanks Kurtis. I'll see what I can find. this is like the 4th one I've busted. just had extras laying around...

J..

redneck23ms
August 10th, 2016, 04:42 PM
if nothing at a hardware store works a tractor place may have something. also most ace hardware stores have a better selection of hardware than lowes or m=home depot

Hypoid
August 10th, 2016, 04:49 PM
I found the Lynch Pins for my JKS Quick Disconnects at Meyer Hardware here in Golden.

http://images.clipartpanda.com/linchpin-clipart-45-x-40MM-LINCH-PIN-PINS-LYNCH-CLIP.jpg

Hypoid
August 10th, 2016, 04:52 PM
They have Clevis Pins as well.

http://www.homedepot.com/catalog/productImages/400/b1/b10943d3-a3be-4de4-8f49-876fa9cc630d_400.jpg

dieseldoc
August 10th, 2016, 04:58 PM
The lunch pin is what you want.
The ring is made as a snap ring so it keeps things tight.
I would go to ACE Napa carries them as well but you may have to call the heavy duty guy at the 70th location to get the right stuff.

JandDGreens
August 10th, 2016, 06:32 PM
Go to Harbor Freight they have them. I bought a box full of them. $8 for 50 several diff sizes

dscowell
August 10th, 2016, 07:52 PM
Agriculture or a hardware store. I know the John Deere by me has a whole bunch but I don't think driving all the way to east Longmont for an under $1 part is really worth it for you.

96EXXLTinCO
August 10th, 2016, 09:09 PM
I made my own. Used a blot with a nice long shoulder,cut it to length, drilled a hole and use a cotter pin to keep it there.

jayson44
August 11th, 2016, 11:21 AM
I have to go to Lowes tomorrow so I'm gonna check there. there's also a Murdock's on the way. thanks guys!

J.

dieseldoc
August 11th, 2016, 04:42 PM
Murdocks will be your better bet.

Hypoid
August 12th, 2016, 10:51 AM
this is like the 4th one I've busted. just had extras laying around...I'm still wearing out my first set. How are you breaking these?

jayson44
August 12th, 2016, 01:44 PM
I'm still wearing out my first set. How are you breaking these?

no idea, honestly. my first set of discos came with the Jeep and were Skyjackers. they had the pins on both the top and the bottom, so you didn't have to "store" the disco up in the fender when disconnected, the whole piece just came out. but when I went up to Chinns once, I forgot to disconnect (didn't think I needed to) but I heard a loud *ping* in one of the rougher sections and found out later that 2 of my pins busted and I lost the whole middle piece on the trail somewhere.

then I grabbed a used set of JKS discos from someone here on the board and the pins just snap periodically. this one happened as I was turning into a Walgreens parking lot...a little dip/bump for drainage coupled with a left turn and *ping* it was out. I went to look for it, but couldn't find it.

J.

Hypoid
August 12th, 2016, 02:56 PM
Hmmm, that makes me wonder what will happen after I replace my sway bar bushings. Are your sway bushings rubber or poly?

BTW, I decided to replace my worn pins, Meyer Hardware no longer carries that small of a Lynch Pin. The Green Mountain Ace Hardware is next closest to me...

jayson44
August 12th, 2016, 03:02 PM
my sway bar is stock, so I'm assuming just the stock rubber ones...

J.

dieseldoc
August 13th, 2016, 10:00 AM
sway bar....ha who needs that junk!

I pull apart the end links on spring creek last year...
sway bar want into the recycle bin.
been running with out if and do just fine and with less hastel at the trail head as well.

Bob
August 13th, 2016, 08:51 PM
I found the Lynch Pins for my JKS Quick Disconnects at Meyer Hardware here in Golden.

http://images.clipartpanda.com/linchpin-clipart-45-x-40MM-LINCH-PIN-PINS-LYNCH-CLIP.jpg

X2. Also any farm and ranch store will have them like Murdochs or Tractor Supply.

jayson44
August 13th, 2016, 09:26 PM
sway bar....ha who needs that junk! :D

mine is my DD, 60 miles every day down and back up the mountain. no sway bar is no bueno. I just need to bite the bullet and get an antirock. then I can quite messing with it.

but I did get a pin at Lowes. exact same pin that I broke. cost about $3.

J.

dieseldoc
August 14th, 2016, 09:06 AM
yup mine to.... we drive it every where with no sway bar.
in fact Therese learnd to drive the jeep without it.

I must say the new stereing box has made a huge difference as it doesnt make the jeep flop at slow speeds.
if I add hydro it will get even better.
the biggest culprit in my lean it the welded rear end!
but it only leans in the parking lot!

the antirock is a great solution for sure

Hypoid
August 14th, 2016, 02:08 PM
I had to go to Home Despot for cooler pads, took a stroll down the hardware isle... $1.72 ea! The old ones can go in the spare parts box.

Hypoid
August 14th, 2016, 02:17 PM
sway bar....ha who needs that junk! I prefer to keep my tars on the ground, at all speeds, in all driving conditions. I also tend to push the Utility aspect of my eS-yoU-Veee. :D

http://i232.photobucket.com/albums/ee120/Hypoid/Misc%20stuff/TRAILER027.jpg

dieseldoc
August 14th, 2016, 04:46 PM
Only time I do wheel stands is on the harder trail.
We tend to take the harder lines and do so with flair :thumb:

jayson44
August 15th, 2016, 09:46 AM
being on only 2" of lift, our Jeep doesn't sway much. but when it's connected, it can take all the curves going down & up Hwy 72 w/out slowing. I kind of like that feeling...super solid, planted feel, not a "I'm driving a lifted Jeep" feeling. when I leave it disco'd, it feels like every other lifted Jeep I've owned.

J.

Mr6dwg
August 16th, 2016, 09:07 AM
I got mine at Murdoch's, which is on North Main about 21st on the West Side, in Longmont. I have a different pin than the ones I have seen in this thread. Mine look like a "D", rather than a snap ring. I can send a picture if you wish.

jayson44
August 16th, 2016, 09:40 AM
yeah, that's what I got too.

J.