PDA

View Full Version : Need some info on St Mary's Glacier

vdubplate
August 18th, 2016, 05:47 PM
I was riding the trails around James Peak a week ago and noticed a ton of snow at St Mary's Glacier so I am heading up there to ski it this weekend. Is there a way to get somebody to shuttle up and down from there or no? What's the best way to get to the snow? Do you have to hike in and then hike back up the mountain? Any help or info much appreciated.

Tom
August 18th, 2016, 05:55 PM
I've been up there a bunch. Used to teach basic snow climbing with the CMC.

There's no real good way to shuttle with a vehicle. Closest road to the upper end is Kingston Peak trail and its at least a 1/2 hike down from the trail to snow. It's about a half a mile hiking up from Glacier Paul's paid parking area as well.

I have hiked from said parking are to the top of James Peak by way of the glacier as well as driven the trails.

JandDGreens
August 18th, 2016, 06:42 PM
Ton of snow, but be careful it gets pretty icy up there.

vdubplate
August 18th, 2016, 08:09 PM
Thanks for the info guys. How do you know you are at the point where you should start hiking from the Kingston peak trail?

Java
August 18th, 2016, 08:21 PM
I think the easiest way is to park in Paul's lot and hike up from there, they do that in this video. Bring Yak trax or something.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5taVKkJ7lHs

Tom
August 18th, 2016, 09:54 PM
Thanks for the info guys. How do you know you are at the point where you should start hiking from the Kingston peak trail?The easiest best way is to hike up. Topo and a keen eye for a faint trail the other way. Obtw it will take you at least an hour longer if heading in from above. Besides end of the day when you are tired you hike out downhill if you start from the bottom. And nobody does it from the top.