PDA

View Full Version : Ski Mosquito Pass

Java
September 12th, 2016, 07:51 AM
So this is ******* lame. http://www.mosquitopass.com/

read about the Team, they own the London Mill & 3300 acres around it. Better get Mosquito Pass in ASAP while it's still dirt and free.

Brad
September 12th, 2016, 07:57 AM
Lame.

Tom
September 12th, 2016, 10:03 AM
So this is ******* lame. http://www.mosquitopass.com/

read about the Team, they own the London Mill & 3300 acres around it. Better get Mosquito Pass in ASAP while it's still dirt and free.

Its says back country skiing. This means either snow cats, helicopter, for ski in. No lifts. Strongly suspect that it also means the trail will not close.

Java
September 12th, 2016, 12:15 PM
I'd guess they'd not only keep it open but pave it, or atleast grade it.

FINOCJ
September 12th, 2016, 04:31 PM
Dont know the details for this specifically. ..but snowcat operation would be most common. There is already one on Jones pass the last few years and it has had no affect on summer road. The snowcats essentially build there own snow road and it doesn't have to follow the dirt road although it often does.

The year round summer aspect is more concerning in term of maintaining public road access. But private land is private land...hope the history and significance of the road and pass will ensure its continued existence thru to public fs land. Guessing once its past the private land and on fs land maintenance would stay as it is today.

Tom
September 12th, 2016, 04:58 PM
Its been a public thoroughfare since the 1800's. I would think a law suit to keep it open would have an excellent chance for success.

ExplorerTom
September 12th, 2016, 06:04 PM
It looks to me like Mosquito Pass is County Road 12 (Park County).

Forest Service trails that go through private property do so because the property owner has granted an easement to the Forest Service to allow the trail. These trails can be gated and closed by the owner without much (if any) coordination with the Forest Service. At least, this is what I gather from talking to some Stay The Trail guys and the Ranger. I've found a few trails that should go through according to the MVUM but I was met with a gate and the trail on the other side of the gate had been reclaimed by the wild grass.

Mosquito Pass is a County Road- not a Forest Service trail. Based on this, I'm going to assume that a county road carries more weight and is harder for a property owner to shut down.