PDA

View Full Version : Single Backseat in a TJ

coaz4x4
September 16th, 2016, 09:45 AM
Howdy all,

After a long period of inactivity on the site I had reactivated at the beginning of the summer in hopes I might squeeze in a few runs this year, but wasn't able to. Barely got out on the trail to help a neighbor shake out some bugs from a new lift and camp for a night.

Then on 7/30 my son was born... so I'm sticking close to home for the time being :) (picture attached)

This winter I want to carpe deez-nuts and get some work done on the TJ so we can get out as a family come next summer. Plans include pulling the carpet, putting a VatoZone liner in 'strategic' areas of the tub, and figuring out how to carry the kiddo. I have a big Rubbermaid ActionPacker tub bolted to the floor on one side that securely holds all my sh*t, so reverting to the OE backseat would require a completely new plan.

I stumbled across this bracket:
https://www.summitracing.com/parts/sum-g1150/overview/
And figure I could use that to bolt a basic/standard bucket seat to the floor in the back (with some reinforcement/bracing underneath the tub) and use the OE seat belt on one side.

Anyone have any tips/tricks/suggestions for this kind of undertaking?

Patrolman
September 16th, 2016, 10:16 AM
Cute kiddo! One suggestion I can make when you are looking at mods is to plan ahead. Things went smoothly for the first few years when my daughter was born, but last year she started using a booster seat when she turned 4. That requires a forward facing seat with a shoulder harness. The rear bench seat in my truck and 4Runner both only had lap belts. That meant mods were needed, and I didn't see it coming. Hopefully you can plan a bit better!

coaz4x4
September 16th, 2016, 10:25 AM
My original thought was a low back seat, but for this reason I want something a tad more standard. The seat belt point is good though, the OE one I'm retaining is a 3-point and I'm going to try to have the seat in the same overall location as the bench.

dieseldoc
September 16th, 2016, 08:52 PM
I did much the same thing in my rock buggy.
Single rear seat, high back.
It had four point harnesses for the older child.
With the baby seat it was cable tied the the roll cage.
Based it off the tie in requirments that are used in New car's.
Worked great.
Help he had the most stable seat in the thing.

coaz4x4
September 17th, 2016, 05:58 PM
I was hoping to find a seat with LATCH hookups, but something new is going to be $$$$$$