PDA

View Full Version : HOW do you browse this forum (or perhaps any other form)?

Jim
September 17th, 2016, 10:04 AM
I'm curious as to the HOW people browse / read this forum. There's no background for the question (no change is being planned), I'm simply curious.

I'll start:

In my web browser I have a favorite/bookmark that loads a search for unread posts: www.FrontRange4x4.com/forums/search.php?do=getnew (http://www.frontrange4x4.com/forums/search.php?do=getnew)
Hitting that button will display threads with unread posts.
I "middle-mouse-button" click upon threads of interest. This loads those threads into new tabs in the browser but leaves me at the initial page of unread posts.
When I have opened the threads of interest (but haven't read them yet) and am done with the initial page, I click the "Mark Forums Read" link near the top of the page, wait for that page to complete, and close that tab.
I then, tab-by-tab, read the threads I was interested in, closing as I go.
This creates a clean slate for my next visit to show only new content to read.

What is your process?

Spieg
September 17th, 2016, 10:51 AM
I access site by a bookmark to "New Posts" page.
1) Look for new posts in threads I have previously posted to (paying closer attention the the upper section of updates since I was last logged on)
2) look for other new posts that are of interest
3) about 1-2 times a week I check the calendar to see what's planned for future runs etc...

Tom
September 17th, 2016, 12:00 PM
I always go directly to 'Unread Posts'. I also have my preferences set to show newest posts first.

And Mark forums read when I am done.

dieseldoc
September 17th, 2016, 12:05 PM
I have the main page favored on my phone/computer.
I start with unread post
I check the calender a few times a week.

Chris
September 17th, 2016, 12:30 PM
I go directly to 'Unread Posts'. Read what I want to and hit 'Mark Forums Read.'

Hypoid
September 17th, 2016, 01:13 PM
I do it the hard way: I scan the forum page with my optical sensors and use my neural discrimination software to target the topics that interest me at that moment. At some other time, I may reset the parameters of my neural discrimination software.

Brian
September 17th, 2016, 02:05 PM
I have the forum home page booked marked on my favorites bar. I click it then click the unread posts in the upper right of the page and read through the newest posts. Then before I leave I click mark forums read.

newracer
September 17th, 2016, 04:14 PM
Go to main forum page then "New posts"

Brad
September 17th, 2016, 06:28 PM

Java
September 17th, 2016, 07:16 PM
same, I use new posts.

The StRanger
September 17th, 2016, 09:38 PM
Right to unread post, start with the oldest and work my way up.
And check the calender to see what's coming up

96EXXLTinCO
September 17th, 2016, 11:44 PM
Same as Sam.

JandDGreens
September 18th, 2016, 06:12 AM
the 18th century to comment on.

xaza
September 18th, 2016, 08:27 AM
I have the main page bookmarked on my desktop and use to access my browser for all internet needs. I select new posts at the top. I browse through threads for ones I have been reading or interested in and open them as I come to them. After that I continue from the top down and try to read all posts. Occasionally I will use the search feature when looking for an old thread. I never hit the mark forums read button (intentionally :oops: )as I do occasionally catch up on my own. When I get free time at work I can log in from my phone but hate to respond from it.

Hypoid
September 18th, 2016, 09:01 AM
I do it the hard way: I scan the forum page with my optical sensors and use my neural discrimination software to target the topics that interest me at that moment. At some other time, I may reset the parameters of my neural discrimination software.
After trying this well used "New Posts" button, I have learned that I have to log in to use it. I do most of my browsing without logging in.

:2c:

Patrolman
September 18th, 2016, 09:12 AM
I got to the Unread Posts as my first stop. I might also look through specific sections to see if I missed something, or to update threads that I am working on. Lastly, if there is a bit of info that I need the search function works great. I often will use it without even "looking" for the info.