PDA

View Full Version : New DD/ Overland Rig

TJS86TOY
October 1st, 2016, 08:39 AM
Most likely will have this next week in place of my WJ for a daily driver / Overland rig. Before I buy, any ideas to known issues? It's a 99 4runner 3.4 v6 , Diff lock, all the goodies.

dieseldoc
October 1st, 2016, 09:46 AM
Nice truck.
Timming chains are a pain in the but to do....interference engine
Idler arms were an issu for a few years....

Hope you will enjoy it.
Lots of room in there for the pups!

Java
October 1st, 2016, 12:20 PM
:thumb:

The StRanger
October 1st, 2016, 12:45 PM
Nice

78bj40
October 1st, 2016, 06:29 PM
Replace the radiator as soon as you get it, there is a transmission cooler inside the bottom of the radiator and they are known for the line cracking, you will have a a hell of a mess if they do, happened to me on my 2000, I was lucky enough that I flushed the transmission with 10 gal of fluid and saved it

Brian
October 1st, 2016, 09:20 PM
Sweet! :thumb:

dieseldoc
October 1st, 2016, 10:07 PM
All auto transmissions have the cooler in the radiator.
Coolant flush is a good thing that no one does anymore.
Coolant turns into an acid in time.

I don't like the cooler in the radiator but it's about bringing the trans up to temp in cold weather.

TJ I hope you will enjoy your Runner

ExplorerTom
October 2nd, 2016, 07:15 AM
I don't like the cooler in the radiator but it's about bringing the trans up to temp in cold weather.

according to a transmission engineer at Ford who also posts on ford-trucks.com, he's never seen an instance where the radiator warms the transmission. Automatic transmissions have thermostats in them that prevent fluid from being released until the transmission is warm enough.

TJS86TOY
October 2nd, 2016, 08:35 AM
Replace the radiator as soon as you get it, there is a transmission cooler inside the bottom of the radiator and they are known for the line cracking, you will have a a hell of a mess if they do, happened to me on my 2000, I was lucky enough that I flushed the transmission with 10 gal of fluid and saved it
I read that about the "pink milkshake" issues. I did ask the guy if the radiator had ever been replaced but he said no. Apparently it was a somewhat rare issue but nonetheless a issue. Rather pay 200 for a radiator now then 3k later for a tranny.

Thanks Louis for affirming that.

A thermostat in the radiator? Never heard that. I can fab anything, rebuild any engine and fix your HVAC systems, but to me, auto transmissions are boxes which wizards sit inside and do magic.

Patrolman
October 2nd, 2016, 10:02 AM
I bought a radiator from this guy on Ebay:
http://www.ebay.com/usr/radiatorclassic

It was a solid aluminum radiator with the auto trans fittings (I have a manual so they are blocked off). I think my radiator was just under $100. He offered a Lifetime Warranty at the time. Unsure if he still does. The 1st one had a very minor flaw, and he sent me another and paid for shipping both ways.

Brian
October 2nd, 2016, 12:56 PM
according to a transmission engineer at Ford who also posts on ford-trucks.com, he's never seen an instance where the radiator warms the transmission. Automatic transmissions have thermostats in them that prevent fluid from being released until the transmission is warm enough.

Sounds like Mark Kovalsky in the 7.3 Forum. :)

dieseldoc
October 2nd, 2016, 01:26 PM
TJ- transmissions really are not that tough.
I just don't think about all the different movements...
Rebuilds are not bad to do.
Just like an engine lay it all out as you pull it apart and bam....there is your map to put it back together.

The engineering in automatic trans blows my mind!

ExplorerTom
October 2nd, 2016, 01:42 PM
Sounds like Mark Kovalsky in the 7.3 Forum. :)

i do believe that's his name. I think he wanders the whole forum answering automatic transmission questions.

Jim
October 2nd, 2016, 02:41 PM
<sorry for a threadjack - I thought I was typing in chat>

White Stripe
October 3rd, 2016, 06:15 PM
99 and 2000 are the best years for 3rd gen 4runners in my opinion. You can bypass the stock radiator trans cooler and just put a external trans cooler on and you won't have to worry about pink milkshake-or just replace the radiator. Rear axle seals tend to leak and destroy the brake shoes, toyota has redesigned the rear axle seals and they are less prone to leak with new ones. Just make sure the axle races properly sit on the sealing lip. I have had several of those 4runners. Every time I get one I flush the trans fluid with fresh. Their is a nice video on youtube on how to do it at home. I also tighten the kick down cable a bit to get firmer shifts, and let the clutch packs slip less to help them last longer. Valve covers leak after a while. Timing belt, water pump, crank and cam seals should be replaced if never done or at least check the belt for cracks by popping one of the top covers off. Mass air flow sensors get dirty and its good to clean them. Spark plugs are often neglected on these for some reason and usually need replaced. If you have the push button all wheel drive button on the shifter, its good to engage AWD every so often even during the summer to keep the actuator from freezing up. Having it engaged in rain or icy conditions is nice because the light rear end on these gets squirly when its slippery out in 2wd. Rear differential bearings are known to go bad some times, so it may be a good idea to put some really nice fluid in their. Also the throttle cables are known for not being adjusted right. Put the pedal to the floor with the truck off, and see if the throttle body is actually wide open. If may need adjusted. Hope that gives u some useful ideas. These trucks are as easy if not easier than the previous generations to work on, and a lot of the work can be done yourself if you want to.

Chris
October 3rd, 2016, 06:46 PM
Some good info right there ^ I'm not familiar with 3rd gens but it sounds like there are some similarities with 4th gens.

As far as the radiator/tranny cooler I suggest paying attention to the suggestions. After slamming down hard on Steel Bender years ago in my 60 series Land Cruiser sludge and such in my tranny cooler broke loose. Made it to GJ where the tranny burned up. Not something you want to do.

TJS86TOY
October 3rd, 2016, 10:36 PM
Thanks for all the great Info! Went ahead and picked her up tonight.

78bj40
October 4th, 2016, 08:20 AM
congrats!, they are very reliable trucks, I wish that I would have kept my 2000 and turned it into a trail rig. Are you going to install solid axle in the front?

TJS86TOY
October 4th, 2016, 03:47 PM
Are you going to install solid axle in the front?

I thought about it, no plans as of yet. Primarily, it will be a mild trail/overland type rig however, there may be one for the future.

dieseldoc
October 4th, 2016, 05:41 PM
nice TJ
so what is the WJ going to do now?

TJS86TOY
October 4th, 2016, 08:09 PM
It's going away. Too many issues with it.