PDA

View Full Version : 4x4 Colorado

Chris
October 4th, 2016, 05:06 PM
Like Paul, I'm putting a new website out there - http://4x4colorado.com. The focus is on mobile devices though it's fine on desktops as well. Doing things like uploading pics, linking YouTube videos, linking other sites and posting is very easy. No image resizing is needed so anyone should be able to upload pics anytime/anywhere as long as you have a connection.

Feel free to give it a try and post there if you have problems, etc.

Jim
October 4th, 2016, 05:38 PM
: scratching head :

You comment on having a 4x4 site with mobile focus. Do you wish FrontRange4x4 to have more mobile friendly features? We're open to suggestions for site improvement - though we wish to keep the RSVP system (or a suitable replacement) in operation.

Thoughts / comments always appreciated.

Java
October 4th, 2016, 08:00 PM
good idea, there is a facebook group called frontrange trail conditions or something like that that does updates for biking and hiking trails, it's really useful. :thumb:

Chris
October 4th, 2016, 08:50 PM
: scratching head :

You comment on having a 4x4 site with mobile focus. Do you wish FrontRange4x4 to have more mobile friendly features? We're open to suggestions for site improvement - though we wish to keep the RSVP system (or a suitable replacement) in operation.

Thoughts / comments always appreciated.

Jim,

I think Front Range is great the way it is but responsive design is the direction everything's headed. I don't think the vBulletin option has been well-received though. The RSVP system is invaluable and has to remain.

4x4 Colorado is not intended to be supplementary & complimentary to existing sites and not competetive in any way.

Chris
October 4th, 2016, 08:51 PM
good idea, there is a facebook group called frontrange trail conditions or something like that that does updates for biking and hiking trails, it's really useful. :thumb:

I'm not a FB fan or user but I'll take a look someday.

TJS86TOY
October 5th, 2016, 07:39 PM
I will be putting together maps of trails here pretty soon and posting to the site.

96EXXLTinCO
October 5th, 2016, 08:54 PM
I have GPX tracks for days if there's any interest those.

Chris
October 5th, 2016, 10:04 PM
I need to figure put how to load gpx files to display correctly. Loading them isn't an issue but the display is pretty weird.
It's looking like something that requires a two-stage process. :frown:

96EXXLTinCO
October 5th, 2016, 11:50 PM
All I can say about it is they would have to be loaded along with a map that has georeferencing in order to display them. The GPX files themselves could just be made available to download to phone, GPS, or whatever for use with whatever device/program they choose.

Chris
October 6th, 2016, 07:24 AM
Exactly Chad, I played with a script I have from years ago that's pretty interesting but is just for .gpx files and not even close to functioning accurately. There's always an alternative.

TJS86TOY
October 6th, 2016, 08:37 AM
Well, I run the home system off of a server type system. If someone could help me with how to make FTP available from here with a link on the site, anyone could download it and I could host all GPX files. Just a thought.

TJS86TOY
October 9th, 2016, 09:11 AM
Hey Chris, when I try to register, the captcha thingie no workie

Chris
October 9th, 2016, 09:14 AM
Sorry about that TJ, It's giving me a bit of trouble. I've disabled it for now so you shouldn't have any problem now.

Chris
October 9th, 2016, 11:35 AM
I decided to fix a few things I've found that didn't work right.

:oops:

As a result I'm starting over so I'll post back up when I get everything working correctly from the start.

Chris
October 10th, 2016, 03:33 PM
Okay, I found some problems and ended taking the site down to fix it. It's now done and the hiccups are gone. No problems with all functions now. Those of you who registered previously will have to register again. Those of you who haven't feel free to now. You folks will, in essence, be beta testers because until a number of people use it there's no real way to see if any problem appears. I don't expect any but you never know!

http://4x4colorado.com

Thanks, Chris

Chris
October 17th, 2016, 06:15 PM
:lmao: My experiment failed. While mobile/responsive sites are cool my attempt didn't work out for a number of reasons I won't bore you with. Oh well, can't say I didn't try and it kept me amused for a while. It's back up in the more traditional format. I'm still interested in trying some new stuff, specifically working with .gpx files.

http://4x4colorado.com

96EXXLTinCO
October 17th, 2016, 08:52 PM
I can start getting what I have together. (Switched to a larger hard drive and everything's still kind of a mess, need to get it organized) living in Georgetown, we've been trying to take advantage of the proximity of all the trails and I've not had much time to devote to working on it.

Chris
October 17th, 2016, 10:04 PM
I've abandoned the idea of getting my 2TB external organized, it's now my personal scavenger hunt. What a mess! :eek:

96EXXLTinCO
October 17th, 2016, 11:02 PM
I hear that. At least yours is on one!! I have 2x 1TB externals and can't keep em straight, what's on which......BUT my lappy went from a 300GB to a 750GB, so I got that goin for me (Bill Murray from Caddy Shack voice)

Jim
October 18th, 2016, 01:28 AM
Like Paul, I'm putting a new website out there - http://4x4colorado.com. The focus is on mobile devices though it's fine on desktops as well. Doing things like uploading pics, linking YouTube videos, linking other sites and posting is very easy. No image resizing is needed so anyone should be able to upload pics anytime/anywhere as long as you have a connection.

So, Chris, you like to create - I'm happy with keep'n things going. vBull v4 isn't mobile friendly - and it would be nice to have mobile friendly (uploading of pix for one).

Would you wish to look at a newer version of vBull, to see how mobile friendly it is? Perhaps the RSVP system could be re-written / converted to work with the new vBull version (hire a pro developer for the re-write?). Are you interested in investigating?

Thoughts...

Jim - stirr'n the pot...

TJS86TOY
October 18th, 2016, 09:06 AM
Registered as TwoToy's , hopefully time will allow some activity on my part, when this happens I appreciate any feedback.

Chris
October 18th, 2016, 10:29 AM
So, Chris, you like to create - I'm happy with keep'n things going. vBull v4 isn't mobile friendly - and it would be nice to have mobile friendly (uploading of pix for one).

Would you wish to look at a newer version of vBull, to see how mobile friendly it is? Perhaps the RSVP system could be re-written / converted to work with the new vBull version (hire a pro developer for the re-write?). Are you interested in investigating?

Thoughts...

Jim - stirr'n the pot...

I'd be happy to Jim, it's been a while since I looked at vBulletin's upgrades. The possibility of the RSVP working on anything newer than 4 is extremely unlikely but one never knows. A developer re-write is something I hadn't thought about, probably pretty costly is my first thought. I'll look into alternatives though.

TJS86TOY
October 18th, 2016, 06:07 PM
Chris, is there a way to attach an image to a post without URL ? May have overlooked it but did not see a way.

Chris
October 18th, 2016, 06:27 PM
At the bottom of the post, look for "attachments" then it's like on here.

Chris
October 24th, 2016, 06:51 PM
For anyone that may be interested, after 2 unstable (but cool) forums I've settled on a 3rd that appears to be stable from my testing. Anyone interested is welcome to give it a roll by registering and posting. If you do and run into issues post them on the forum.

I think you'll see this isn't competing with Front Range (my favorite forum) in any way. I view it as supplementary rather than competitive with any other forums.

Thanks in advance - http://4x4colorado.com

Chris
November 4th, 2016, 10:55 AM
Thanks to those of you who registered and posted but I changed back to the software I started with after fixing some issues that I didn't get to work before. Unfortunately I wasn't able to save old registrations or posts. This won't happen again.

As Jim mentioned I like to create and this software rocks. It's fast, easy, no image resizing, cut & paste YouTube posting, etc. I'll repeat that this isn't competetive with Front Range, it's supplementary and covers all of Colorado.

I just finished the re-start if anyone wants to give it a try. http://4x4colorado.com

Jim
November 4th, 2016, 11:42 AM
If you ever get the itch to look at a revamp for vBull - we're ears!

Best o success with the new work.

Chris
November 4th, 2016, 12:26 PM
If you ever get the itch to look at a revamp for vBull - we're ears!

Best o success with the new work.

I've looked in to vB and don't see much advantage over the existing forum. You know there are a bunch of functions that aren't being used now, right?

As far as being responsive I can't find much positive anywhere. The best option I've seen for FR is a whole different software which would be expensive at best, at worst a real disaster.

Mine is comparatively simple but starting from day 1 is easy. Converting to what I use would be totally inadequate but I'll see what options I can find.

Since I'll be out of comission for a while I'll probably have too much time on my hands come January. :brody: