PDA

View Full Version : a proud moment

94ToyBear
October 6th, 2016, 07:07 AM
I have to brag a little, i finally got to ride along side my 4 year old on my dirt bike while he rode his own!
He still on training wheels, but he came along way, get got his bike for deal that could not be passed up, at the age of two, he instantly fell in love with the bike IF only i ride with him.
The first week we ended up in the ER, long story short, the bike popped an unexpected wheely, bucked both of off, and his hand ended up being smashed by me.
His hand was really swollen and took him in for a potential broken hand.
He came out fine, but feared the sight of his bike for a good year.
I learned a lesson that day, that i did not do my job and protect him. I vowed he will never get on his bike unless he had a helmet and body protection. Something i never had or was shown growing up.

He eventually found his way back on it still really traumatized and would not ride with out me on back.
Its a funny site to see a 230lb guy and his 40 lb son and a 80lb 50cc lol
Last May, he finally rode by him self ! But got really up set that i was not with him. After that we got busy buying a house, and having our 2nd son, and the bike got put away for a good 9 month.
This week, mom and youngest son were in California for a few days and we took advantage of the time and when out Tuesday and Wednesday.
FINALLY. I was able to ride along side him ! He actully dont want me on his bike, wants me on my bike.
He hes having fun at the mini track at thunder valley and loves the hills.
This is one of those moments some parents dream of but never get to do and im so proud of him for over coming his fears !

Patrolman
October 6th, 2016, 08:21 AM
Congrats! Sounds like he is making good progress and building good confidence!

We had a little moment like that last Winter. My daughter finally went down the sledding hill by herself. I went down alongside her on another sled the first time (as if I could do anything to help her). After that she thought going by herself was much more fun!

TJS86TOY
October 6th, 2016, 08:26 AM
Nice!

DETN8R
October 6th, 2016, 12:39 PM
Awesome Adam!

dieseldoc
October 6th, 2016, 05:26 PM
Sweet man.

Jackie
October 6th, 2016, 08:15 PM
Congrats to you, Adam! I'm glad your boy is loving it!

We had bought a new Honda for our daughter when she was almost 9 yrs old. We skipped the training wheels but bought her all the appropriate riding protection gear. She was doing great on flat, smooth trails and seemed to really enjoy riding behind my Jeep as I acted as her guide and my husband brought up the rear. Then winter came and we put it away. The next spring, we took her out in our back yard (about an acre) for some practice riding before hitting an easy trail again. (She wiped out in the yard). She was not hurt but was very scared and said she never wanted to ride it again. As the weeks went on, she would cry at the mention of giving it another try. She said she hated it and would never ride it again. So we sold it and bought her two new kayaks to make it up to her. She has a lot more fun with them because she can bring friends and the lakes don't scare her.

Maybe some day she'll be willing to try it again and we'll rent one! My Jeep is a 2008 and I'm thinking it will be her first car when she is old enough to drive in 5 or 6 years. I'd like to start teaching her sooner than later!