PDA

View Full Version : Here's Why Old SUVs Are Shooting Up In Value

Java
November 6th, 2016, 05:15 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VsHPZJVX4R4

ExplorerTom
November 6th, 2016, 07:34 AM
That's neat. While what I drive isn't nearly as old, I still feel the same way about the new vehicles.

The StRanger
November 6th, 2016, 08:33 AM
Love the old iron. But it's so nice to cruise a late model injected...

Patrolman
November 6th, 2016, 09:02 AM
Yep. I would drive either one of those. :) The maintenance nightmares is what steers me away.

ExplorerTom
November 6th, 2016, 11:38 AM
Love the old iron. But it's so nice to cruise a late model injected...

Most vehicles were injected by the early 90s- there were a few hold outs. Is that all that it takes for you?

FINOCJ
November 6th, 2016, 05:03 PM
Not sure they really qualify as old...:D

Bob
November 6th, 2016, 05:33 PM
In the 1980's my parents had a Grand Wagoneer for while, then a Land Cruiser which I owned later for a couple of years.

Yeah, it's nostalgic, but I wouldn't go back!

Hypoid
November 6th, 2016, 10:53 PM
Most vehicles were injected by the early 90s- there were a few hold outs. Is that all that it takes for you?If you actually have to pass emission tests, you need to deal with the old "emission control" carburetors and associated vacuum systems. I'd rather deal with EFI is it's simpler forms.

That aside, Murphy's law of engineering holds true: "The more complex the system, the more opportunities for failure." :)

Patrolman
November 7th, 2016, 12:52 PM
That aside, Murphy's law of engineering holds true: "The more complex the system, the more opportunities for failure." :)

That is where an old Willys flathead really keeps it simple! Given my choice, the older the better when it comes to vehicles. :)

96EXXLTinCO
November 7th, 2016, 10:37 PM
Our 94 and 96 Explorers have just the right mix of simplicity and amenities for me. I looked inside a brand new 4runner recently, I might as well have been looking at the space shuttle cockpit with all those buttons. I just dont need all that.

Java
January 1st, 2017, 08:18 AM
Ive been considering selling my Jeep and getting a Frontier based on our last year of owning an Xterra, which is awesome on and offroad. It's still rocking the 2005 upgrades, but like he says at 3:00 or so they've worked all the bugs out and it's a great drivetrain. Simple, basic truck, the closest to "old school" on the market.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=otgynR7RyCM

Side by side with the Tacoma.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1qi1d1b2_k0

dieseldoc
January 1st, 2017, 08:58 AM
Hmmm....old Iron with the low power high fuel consumption....hmmm
Old iron with a newer engine with the less complex FI set ups.
The new car trucks sug bag way to much added on electronics.
As well as all the wireless stuff....
We have 6 of the 2012 dodge 5500 trucks, the ignition system is wire less and we have had to have these replaced a few times on some of the trucks.....900 for the module that starts you truck!

Patrolman
January 1st, 2017, 09:02 AM
Selling the LJ to buy a Nissan? The Nissan almost certainly has more creature comforts than the LJ, and rides better. The LJ is relatively simple by modern standards. There are sacrifices to make either way.

dieseldoc
January 1st, 2017, 09:19 AM
I have to say I like the way my TJ rides, and it has the Coffey stuff we need....AC and a good radio for road tunes! Granted cruise control would be nice but I do fine with out it.

I can't say well an LJ would be a good thing, but I don't know what Paul is planning.
Paul seems to wheel trails the Nissan will be fine on.

Java
January 1st, 2017, 10:02 AM
Just thinking out loud, but my current wheeling preference is for longer, overland-style trips. Which the LJ is good for, and it only has 64k on it so it's reliable still... but I really like the Frontier. It's simple, and the rear axle of the Pro4x or any manual is the same M226 as the Titan gets. The Titan, Xterra and Frontier share a frame, so the Titan IFS stuff is bolt in, it's the best IFS upgrade for any truck that I know of. They also come with a 5 year 100k bumper to bumper warranty, so if I can find a lease return I can get a couple of years of warranty. IDK, just an idea...

Titan Swap: "Fat Bob's Garage Titan swapping a 2nd Gen Nissan Xterra. We replaced both front and rear differentials as well as all related parts to accommodate the new heavy duty parts. "

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aPNbNc2mKmc

dieseldoc
January 1st, 2017, 10:36 AM
Sounds like some way sweet upgrades are doable in a smaller package.
I like you thoughts here.

I have been toying with getting an LJ and one that's all ready set up the way I want!

But I still want to build something that's more trail than street but is still ok for the street.

Java
January 3rd, 2017, 08:57 AM
Shopped it out yesterday and decided the paid for LJ is much nicer than anything with a payment. :)

You should buy Heather's LJ, those guys are serious and I'd bet it's dialed in. :thumb:

dieseldoc
January 3rd, 2017, 07:12 PM
It would be nice. But I am still looking to build my next rig so I get what I want.

ExplorerTom
January 4th, 2017, 11:22 AM
Shopped it out yesterday and decided the paid for LJ is much nicer than anything with a payment.

I daily drive a 2000 Expedition. It gets 11-13 mpg. But it's paid for. I like having this size of vehicle but the sting at the pump can suck. I priced out a "new" vehicle that gets 17 mpg but one where I'd be making payments at 5% on $30,000 over 5 years (all hypothetical and all on a spreadsheet). Factor in no maintenece on the "new" vehicle and $150/month on the Expedition. Factor in the registration and insurance costs between the 2 and assume the same amount of miles driven.

In the end, the price for a gallon of gas would need to be around $22 to break even. Those monthly payments are the biggest factor.

The best type of car is the one that's paid for.