PDA

View Full Version : Need Some Steel

coaz4x4
November 13th, 2016, 06:51 PM
Thanks in advance!!

Looking for some 2" square steel tubing, or 2" angle iron. 5' of the tube or 10' of the angle.

I'd be happy to buy some from a form member, or if you can recommend a shop I'd appreciate it. I'm in SE Denver, near Evans and 25.

DETN8R
November 17th, 2016, 12:25 AM
I've gotten most of my project steel from Altitude Steel in Denver. Just under Colfax and I25.
They seemed really reasonable but I didn't shop around much.

FINOCJ
November 17th, 2016, 06:53 AM
Alltitude Steel as well for me. They also have a drop/scrap area that you may be able to find what you are looking for pretty cheap - I usually find what I need with regard to angle iron and square tubing. A lot of it has sat out so needs some prep work before welding or working, and you may want to check for straightness on long pieces.

See you are at Evan and I25, I am at yale and I-25. I just used up most of the angle iron I got there this summer. What thickness you looking for? 1/4" 3/16" 1/8"? Depending on the usage, I have found old bed frames work really well for angle iron - can't remember if its a full 2"x2" or not. I wouldn't go out of my way to buy it, but you can often get them for free. Even my wife mentions to me when she sees one sitting out by the side of the road. My spare gas can carrier, seat bracket, welding cart etc are made of out bed frame. Next bed frame project may be a new battery tray and hold-down.

Patrolman
November 17th, 2016, 04:22 PM
Yep - bed frames are the best scrap steel. I typically pick them up in the neighborhood and then immediately dismantle them to break them down to straight sections. Have used them for all sorts of "light duty" things.

coaz4x4
November 18th, 2016, 11:20 AM
I got a 6' stick of .125 thick 1.15" angle iron at Ace... I was there buying the bolts I needed and had a coupon... It was $23 I think.

Hypoid
November 18th, 2016, 01:36 PM
Yep - bed frames are the best scrap steel."Spring steel," especially the older frames. Newer frames, not so much.

coaz4x4
November 18th, 2016, 02:14 PM
I'll stock up in the spring during garage-sale season ;)

96EXXLTinCO
November 19th, 2016, 08:41 AM
I was in charge of getting recently vacated apartments ready for move in at a very large apartment complex a few years back. I was always the first one in to assess damages. I won't go into the huge list of things I acquired that people left behind (but maybe one.......I got an almost new stainless steel side by side refridgerator, true story) but holy cow, if only I had a nickel for every metal bed frame left behind........I did use some of them to build some shelves and hangers etc. for our shop tools and supplies.

The StRanger
November 19th, 2016, 08:53 AM
I love usein bed frames. As posted, light duty
K & K has all kinds of used metals, plus there fun to just look around on a sat...

JandDGreens
November 19th, 2016, 10:35 AM
I got a 6' stick of .125 thick 1.15" angle iron at Ace... I was there buying the bolts I needed and had a coupon... It was $23 I think.

You could have got 20' from C&M for that price. Ace is good for Hardware but you pay for it $$$$. C&M has a large scrap yard 20 cents a pound. You can find some good metal for projects but even 20 cents will add up fast.

dieseldoc
November 20th, 2016, 10:54 AM
We use C an M they have good selection and prices are not bad.
Close to the shop as well.

If you need weekend service then Altitude is the only one open on Saturdays.

There drops and kiss cut pile has good stuff in it offten. Cheap like $ .30 a pound.