PDA

View Full Version : Going Alone

Java
November 17th, 2016, 04:18 PM
Good article. I wheel solo more than anything else and often for a couple of days. I'd say a biggie he didn't touch on is vehicle maintenance, I consider that job one before going out in a group or alone.

http://expeditionportal.com/going-alone-single-vehicle-offroad-travel-safety/

Chris
November 17th, 2016, 07:43 PM
We wheeled Elepant Hill solo yesterday, I'm very familiar with it but it wasn't real smart. That trail's changed more than I expected, more eroded, etc. enough for us to get high centered twice. Nice to have a winch but even nicer to have another truck!

TJS86TOY
November 18th, 2016, 08:00 AM
I go solo all the time. I don't think it's a big deal if you carry the "Just in case" stuff, but even then you are limited. My HAM radio is my security blanket. I can always manage to get someone on the radio even in places I never thought possible. Even with that, I believe life can be an adventure even if you do it solo, just don't kill yourself doing it!

Brad
November 18th, 2016, 12:42 PM
I prep my rigs to always go solo. Been doing a ton of maintenance on the LR3 over the past couple weeks including replacing some common wear parts just so I know their new. That is usually why you rarely hear of my rigs failing. :thumb:

ExplorerTom
November 18th, 2016, 01:13 PM
The author drives a Toyota. And we all know Toyotas are so well built that they don't need maintenence.

Chris
November 18th, 2016, 02:00 PM
The author drives a Toyota. And we all know Toyotas are so well built that they don't need maintenence.

:lmao:

TJS86TOY
November 18th, 2016, 02:03 PM

For sure! I havent changed my oil in over a decade! :thumb:

JandDGreens
November 19th, 2016, 10:06 PM
Great article. Thanks for posting this as more and more I get the urge to just go ahead and take off. I think a Ham/and good GPS is on my list of things to get. (and learn how to use them!) Oh let not forget the recue list right!

Jim
November 19th, 2016, 11:43 PM
The rescue list is there and, for short treks, the Check-In thread exists as well.
http://www.frontrange4x4.com/forums/showthread.php?20251