PDA

View Full Version : Hammer or press U-Joints !

TJS86TOY
December 9th, 2016, 08:25 AM
So what do you do? Press or hammer out your U-JOINTS? Always in the past I have changed many U-Joints in axle shafts and prop shafts with a hammer and an old socket. Recently I got a nice H frame hydro press and was thinking of doing U-Joints on it, until I read that you can easily bend the ears (yoke) on them. I suppose I could build a "tool" that fits under the press that just has contact with the "cross" part of the U-Joint while supporting the bottom of the yoke. Hard to explain without pic's sorry.
Anyway, I don't yet know how to do the poll thingie so please post what you do! Thanks!

ColoJeeper
December 9th, 2016, 08:35 AM
I use a ball joint press I bought from Harbor Freight years ago to do U-Joints. Works great in the garage with the Impact wrench and not too bad on the trail with ratchet and a breaker bar. I find it much easier than beating on them with a hammer.

http://www.harborfreight.com/ball-joint-service-kit-for-2wd-and-4wd-vehicles-63279.html

Jim
December 9th, 2016, 09:05 AM
Hydraulic H-press like you have. I simply pay attention to the force applied / use my eyes for movement and hand on the pump's bar to sense if its stuck and I could put too much force into the parts. Have not had issues (yet).

Hypoid
December 9th, 2016, 03:28 PM
So what do you do? Press or hammer out your U-JOINTS? Always in the past I have changed many U-Joints in axle shafts and prop shafts with a hammer and an old socket. Recently I got a nice H frame hydro press and was thinking of doing U-Joints on it, until I read that you can easily bend the ears (yoke) on them.I have used both, I have tweaked the ears using both. I used a piece of all-thread with a couple nuts and washers to straighten the ears.

Since I have done only a handful of U-Joints with the press, I have adopted the strategy of loading the joint and tapping the ears with a hammer.

I think I have seen a picture of the spacer you mentioned, but I think I could break one of those also. :D

Spieg
December 9th, 2016, 04:04 PM
I also use a HF ball joint press for u-joints. Before that I used a large c-clamp with a couple of large sockets (this is still what I carry for trail repair).

Brian
December 9th, 2016, 09:49 PM
Old socket and a bench vise.

newracer
December 9th, 2016, 10:50 PM
I used the hammer and socket method when I replaced the front u-joints on my JK, never again, that sucked.

JandDGreens
December 10th, 2016, 07:04 AM
I have only done u-joints twice, The first time was a front axle shaft on my XJ when I first bought it (came with a bad one) and just recently my rear drive shaft u-joint at the transfer case side. I did the first one on my buddies press. I think because your handling two shafts to press the u-joint into the press was easier. I did the hammer method with a large c-clamp on the drive shaft and found that was a piece of cake since it was just at the end of the shaft and good practice for a trail repair. (stored an extra couple u-joints and the tools I used for that eventual day on the trail).

TJS86TOY
December 10th, 2016, 07:46 AM
Sounds like a mixed bag of methods, all of seem to work fine with differing levels of difficulty. I tend to lend my opinion towards Michael, I hate doing them with hammer and socket. I also have the HF ball joints press but can never seem to keep it on the yoke while using impact (mabey cause I bent the c )
Thanks to all, was curious.

Hypoid
December 11th, 2016, 09:13 AM
Since I have done only a handful of U-Joints with the press, I have adopted the strategy of loading the joint and tapping the ears with a hammer.I thought I'd add, if the joint has not moved by the third stroke, I'll get out the hammer and start tapping.

dieseldoc
December 11th, 2016, 10:12 AM
have done both, the press is the easy way screw up the ears. I prefer to hammer as its better control.

flashboiler
December 11th, 2016, 11:56 AM
I use the press to remove and hammer to install. The hammer shocks everything and gives it a change to line up.

My press will happily broach out the yokes if the caps aren't perfectly straight.

Java
December 12th, 2016, 06:54 AM
I have a special press that I use for everything.

TJS86TOY
December 12th, 2016, 08:10 AM
Hey! That is the same press I have had for over 25 years! Finally used my hydro press yesterday on some D60 shafts and went super smooth. Would have had a heck of a time with a hammer as the u-joints where original and very rusted in. I have been spraying this rust breaker stuff I got from Firestone for several days now, so Im sure that helped.

Also, looking at that carrier, ran across this video. Not sure I would do it this way but...... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l9NY0o7fu8Y

Spieg
December 12th, 2016, 06:10 PM
Sooo much wrong in that video. Auto shops are like restaurants - you may be better off not knowing what the staff is doing in back.

The StRanger
December 12th, 2016, 09:12 PM
That video is like watching a blind man chasing a fly in the house with a baseball bat....

Chris
December 12th, 2016, 09:22 PM
I could only watch the first minute. The old saying of "you can do it fast or you can do it right" came to mind.

Hypoid
December 12th, 2016, 10:27 PM
Finally used my hydro press yesterday on some D60 shafts and went super smooth. Would have had a heck of a time with a hammer as the u-joints where original and very rusted in.The U-joints that made me cry looked like they were installed at the factory... twenty-some years ago. It did not matter if I used a hammer, vise, or press, they made me cry!