PDA

View Full Version : Scout is getting some attention again

scout man
December 28th, 2016, 09:53 AM
After a long time getting neglected for life stuff, the scout is back on the project list again. Picked up an engine donor for it. Plans in the works for the winter...

7.3l IDI diesel swap
Dual transfer cases
Locked dana 60s
Rework the suspension (maybe stay with leafs, maybe not, we'll see)
Rebuild inside roll cage (been on the list FOREVER)
New paint

Wish me luck!
I know I've been MIA for a while, but hopefully I'll knock this out and get a lot more play time in this year!

Patrolman
December 28th, 2016, 06:33 PM
Sounds like a killer project list!

What is going to happen with the old parts? May be interested for my Scout parts pile.

scout man
December 28th, 2016, 07:20 PM
I'll be selling off anything that i can get cash for. I don't really have the cash to do this, so anything i can recoup i will. I'll have the fuel injected 345 for sale with transmission and t case for sale, and the dana 44 axles. Welded rear, 4.56 gears, with spare shafts.

Patrolman
December 28th, 2016, 08:18 PM
I might be able to use some parts. Keep me posted! Can't wait to see the build once you are done. Sounds like it will be a sweet setup!

On a different note - do you run collector plates on your Scout? Are you in an emissions area?

scout man
December 28th, 2016, 08:23 PM
I do have collector plates, but also don't need to pass emissions here anyways. I'll keep you posted on parts

dieseldoc
December 28th, 2016, 08:34 PM
7.3l is a heavy engine, be sure to boulster the frame. your scoutt spring wont hold this engine up so some super duty springs are on your parts list. I think a ford 60, coils and radius arms would be sweet. as well as not tough to graft into the scoutt.
would be sweet to see a navastar( IH ) engine get dropped into your truck.
next issue is the trans for these engines are huge so again frame issues here.

I will be more than willing to assist with frame mods our shop is south englwood/ sheridain

good luck with this build....we like pictures around here!

scout man
December 28th, 2016, 08:50 PM
The suspension is already far from stock as it is. Although I intend to do some redesign to the suspension again (small or large redesign... not sure yet) I suspect it actually could take the extra weight. The fabrication isn't really an issue for me. I'm well equipped to handle that. Suspecting there might be transmission tunnel work involved too, but we will see. I have the donor truck already, but its a 2x4 transmission. Sorting through transmission/tcase options right now. Almost posted some pics in the first post, but have to resize them to post here.

Below:
Donor truck
Shop all cleaned up and ready (thats how you know its a big project)

dieseldoc
December 28th, 2016, 08:57 PM
nce donar, I have a buyer for the box if you need one.
dude needs a service box for his 88 f250.

nice shop for sure!

scout man
December 28th, 2016, 09:07 PM
Its definitely for sale. Haven't researched pricing yet, but it needs to go

redneck23ms
December 29th, 2016, 06:16 AM
while the deisel swap is cool and unique i don't think you're going to gain much in the power dept. but you will gain a couple hundred pounds of iron up front. the old idi 7.3s definitely weren't power houses. i'm not trying to look down on your plan but it seems like a ton of work for a less performing engine.

Brian
December 29th, 2016, 03:35 PM
Good luck with the swap! :smokin:

Brad
December 29th, 2016, 06:09 PM
Nice to see you back in action! :thumb:

Chris
December 29th, 2016, 06:28 PM
Good to see this Steve!

dieseldoc
December 29th, 2016, 08:51 PM
I have to agree with Alex on this one.
The IDI 7.3l was not know as a power house.
they can be turned up some and the older ones can get turbo charged, but you wont see any where near 300h.p.
And at som800-900 pounds its a very heavy chunk of iron.

I still think a navastar engine in your combine truck will be cool.

Cr33p3r
January 18th, 2017, 07:05 AM
Hey Steve good to see you getting back on this one. If I may suggest, save yourself some time and effort and swap the scout body onto the Ford chassis. You'll have to shorten the frame which is easier than beefing up the scout frame.

dieseldoc
January 18th, 2017, 05:43 PM
Ford frame could be wider by a significant margin.
But it would be the way to go if the one you had was 4x4, but you are looking to do a mess of suspension work anyway so go for it!

The StRanger
January 18th, 2017, 08:51 PM
Hey Steve good to see you getting back on this one. If I may suggest, save yourself some time and effort and swap the scout body onto the Ford chassis. You'll have to shorten the frame which is easier than beefing up the scout frame.

X2.

Patrolman
January 18th, 2017, 09:01 PM
The good news is the Scout frame is fully boxed from the factory. It was frankly over-built for the purpose. Either way it will be interested to watch the build.

scout man
February 6th, 2017, 07:37 PM
Naturally I am finding issues in the scout as I tear it down that makes me happy I started this process when I did. Such as the driver motor mount is cracked almost all the way through where the bracket welds to the frame. Comparing these two, I am only gaining a couple hundred pounds of weight. The frames are actually pretty similar when it comes to structural integrity. A lot of the scout frame has already been beefed up over the years as well from relocating the steering box, and adding shock hoops, and lots of stuff like that. I'm not too concerned with it. I can add steel as I need to as well. Its been a very busy winter for me with work, so I am only about maybe 5 good solid days into this project. So far it is going well. Donor wiring harness is stripped and identified, body removed, new transmission swapped in (going manual with this one), and its just sitting on the donor frame ready to be picked up and dropped in.
I cut the front cage off the scout, since its due for a painting anyways. I am glad I did, since apparently one of the vertical tubes had a tiny hole in the weld at the top and was completely full of water/sludge. So that will be replaced. Removed the front and radiator, stripped all the fuel injection wiring back, and with about another 5 hours that motor should be ready to be lifted out. Then the fun starts.
I have most of what I need in the short term on hand already, but am looking for some Ford style NP203 and NP205 transfer cases so I can do a doubler on it. I have a Dana 60 rear that I will clean up and drop in the back, but I still need to acquire a driver drop dana 60 or equivalent for the front. There will still be plenty of odds and ends to figure out, but its nice to be back working on this thing again and getting stuff done. If I always did projects other people understood the scout wouldn't be anything like it is now. Hell, I probably wouldn't even own the scout, because most people don't understand that either.

Chris
February 6th, 2017, 08:14 PM
Happy to hear it Steve, will we see you on the trails come Spring?

dieseldoc
February 6th, 2017, 08:28 PM
Glad to see some progress
Keep plugging along and bam it will be done.

scout man
February 6th, 2017, 08:29 PM
I'm hoping so Chris. It depends on how much time I actually manage to invest in it this winter, but my goal is drive-able by spring/summer

scout man
February 6th, 2017, 08:31 PM
but I'm also getting married in June... so that could negatively impact my timeline I suppose

Chris
February 6th, 2017, 09:20 PM
Congratulations! Pretty great news!

:thumb:

96EXXLTinCO
February 8th, 2017, 04:40 AM
but I'm also getting married in June... so that could negatively impact my entire plan for this build I suppose

There, fixed that for ya, LOL. JK, congrats man.

dieseldoc
February 8th, 2017, 04:53 AM
Congrats sir

Patrolman
February 12th, 2017, 08:54 AM
but I'm also getting married in June... so that could negatively impact my timeline I suppose

Congrats! That might slow it down a bit. Maybe you could get it done in time for the wedding and drive off into the sunset in it. :)

scout man
February 14th, 2017, 02:41 PM
Fortunately I was smart this time. I am marrying someone who actually enjoys adventure and trying new things. She supports it (for now).

scout man
February 14th, 2017, 02:45 PM
Oh, and I got one more day in to work on the scout. Engine is out. Time to do some repairs, strip out some more junk, and start the install of the new stuff. Its a good thing I started this project. Not only was the drivers side engine mount cracked about half way through at the frame, but the passenger side of the transmission mount cross member was severed almost completely through also!! :oops:

Patrolman
February 14th, 2017, 07:37 PM
The Scout had a long hard life. Sounds like it is a perfect time for a rehab!

Chris
February 14th, 2017, 07:57 PM
Oh, and I got one more day in to work on the scout. Engine is out. Time to do some repairs, strip out some more junk, and start the install of the new stuff. Its a good thing I started this project. Not only was the drivers side engine mount cracked about half way through at the frame, but the passenger side of the transmission mount cross member was severed almost completely through also!! :oops:

Better to have the "oops" in the garage than on the trail Steve. (Not that you've ever done that!) :rolleyes:

scout man
February 14th, 2017, 10:27 PM
Never done that. My scout has a spotless record.

I have never once gone out without managing to break something! Spotless!

Chris
February 15th, 2017, 07:51 AM
:lmao:

dieseldoc
February 16th, 2017, 06:07 PM
Lol...

Patrolman
February 16th, 2017, 11:02 PM
Yeah, I think I remember "someone" coming to my place to "borrow" the rag joint from my Scout. :)

scout man
February 18th, 2017, 09:42 PM
Ah yes, that was the worst of all my bad days on the mountain... or rather, 3 days to get that damn rig home. Then it was out of commission for about a year. Broken drive shaft, hole in transmission, and blown steering joint, all from that same trip.

Patrolman
February 18th, 2017, 11:32 PM
I forgot about the transmission issues the Scout had.

scout man
April 17th, 2017, 08:49 PM
Progress has slowed down due to life, and waiting on custom order parts to show up. That said, the engine is now in its place (and fits). I ended up stripping out all wiring (factory scout, factory 7.3, and scout fuel injection). There was just too much going on to accomplish very little. I started rewiring it from scratch, and am currently about 3/4 of the way done with that. Taking the opportunity also to do all LED conversions (tail lights, marker lights, etc). Also redesigning the dash since it is removed. Moving things around to place switches in better places and that sort of thing. I am waiting on the radiator, and underdrive unit, then I can fire this up. Installed a new fuel tank and sender as well. After that I need axles and tires, suspension (at least the front will change for sure), and a new steering setup, since the current one is weak and leaking everywhere imaginable. Lots of work left to go, but a lot already done as well. Hopefully it starts moving a little faster again. I'll post pictures sometime, but I have been more busy working that taking pics.

Chris
April 17th, 2017, 09:04 PM
Where are your priorities Steve? You know we like pictures!

scout man
May 15th, 2017, 09:37 PM
Its alive!

Rewired the entire rig from scratch, engine runs! Still left: install underdrive/tcase, swap rear axle, swap front axle with new suspension. Still a long way to go, but I feel like I have made progress!

https://youtu.be/TqdtWKLcYJ8

Jim
May 15th, 2017, 09:40 PM
FANTASTIC!!!

A good milestone to be had.

Chris
May 15th, 2017, 09:42 PM
Well done Steve! :thumb:

dieseldoc
May 15th, 2017, 10:08 PM
Sweet!
Big hurdle jumped and on to the next one.....

Brad
May 16th, 2017, 05:52 AM
Great to hear Steve! Excellent work!

Patrolman
May 21st, 2017, 08:27 PM
Getting it running is certainly a big milestone! Makes for more incentive to get the rest completed. Hopefully it will be rolling again before the end of the Summer...

scout man
May 22nd, 2017, 11:06 PM
Hopefully sooner than that, we will see. I decided to reduce some of my todo list and put stuff off until next winter. I had hoped to have more time this past winter to put into it, and I want to play with it this year. So... Steering components are ordered to go hydro assist. Just need to fab a bracket for the pump, and port my steering box, then hopefully reseal it (it leaks bad right now). I intended to go with a 3 link suspension in the front, but that is going to take too much time right now, so I am going to stick with the leafs. They need redesigned a bit, but I can do that faster than figuring out a 3 link. Underdrive should be in any day, then I can swap axles and drive it. Only thing I am still having trouble locating (on a budget) is some wheels and tires. I need 8x170mm bolt pattern, looking for 38 - 40 inch tires if anyone has anything kicking around. I have found a few good deals on CL, but no one will call me back!

Engine runs great though, fires up real easy. When I got the think it was leaking fuel from everyplace imaginable. I seemed to have solved that problem. Wiring is 99% done, and dash is going back in. Still need to figure out gauges, but that might wait a while.

scout man
August 28th, 2017, 04:46 PM
Been making some progress. Engine runs great, underdrive and tcase are in. I drove it with the old axles and a temp drive shaft just so I could feel like I accomplished something. This thing has TONS of torque. Should be fun. Then I started the never-ending axle swap. Rebuilding the suspension a swapping out to one-tons with 38s.

To do before it can be used:
Finish front axle swap
Finish gauge install
Reseal underdrive (dumbass who installed it forgot a seal (that was me))
Paint, then reinstall front roll cage
Go see Bill for driveshafts

Real to do list:
Add on board air back into new engine
Seal up floorboards that were cut out for exhaust clearance
seal up transmission tunnel
Install locker in rear axle
... and probably lots of other things.

(wont let me upload pics right now for some reason, you'll have to wait)

scout man
January 31st, 2018, 10:29 PM
Its alive! Runs and drives, so far no problems. Needs a few adjustments here and there, but its just about ready play with!

Brian
January 31st, 2018, 11:16 PM
Right on! Like the color change up.

Jim
January 31st, 2018, 11:17 PM
CONGRATULATIONS!!!!!

:2thumbup:

What trail do you want to hit first?

Java
February 1st, 2018, 07:56 AM
:thumb: Love the IH on the hood! :thumb:

Patrolman
February 1st, 2018, 03:58 PM
Nice work! Looks really clean now. No more 70's color scheme.

RockyMtRebel
February 1st, 2018, 04:10 PM
Wow, bad ass rig