PDA

View Full Version : Emission test with large tires?

Spieg
January 3rd, 2017, 08:29 PM
I know there was a thread here with info but I can't find it (and the Air Care website is not helping). Anyone know which station(s) will test with 35s in the Denver metro area?

newracer
January 3rd, 2017, 11:11 PM
https://aircarecolorado.com/index.php/consumer-information/quick-information/

Front wheel and all wheel drive vehicles with low profile rim sizes 17 inches or larger in diameter or vehicles with wheel sizes larger than 34 inches must be tested on special dynamometers, capable of testing over and under-sized tires, at our Sheridan, Ken Caryl and Ft. Collins stations. Please keep in mind that not all stations are equipped with specialized dynamometers.

Spieg
January 4th, 2017, 12:05 AM
Exactly what I was searching for. Thank you!

Looking forward to not swapping wheels this time.

dieseldoc
January 4th, 2017, 06:09 AM
Air care is crap and is a monapoly.

EKXJ87
January 4th, 2017, 06:24 AM
Unless you live in a "Van down by the River" there aren't many options? OHV sticker maybe but that's an annual tag and you still have the additional trailer/vehicle tag.
Sometimes you just have to tell yourself Thank You may I have another and walk away. lol

dieseldoc
January 4th, 2017, 06:55 AM
Right.

ExplorerTom
January 4th, 2017, 11:24 AM
Sometimes you just have to tell yourself Thank You may I have another and walk away. lol

or move to a county that doesn't do emissions.

dieseldoc
January 4th, 2017, 06:30 PM
Tell the FED changes that....all in the name of emissions standards, I say prove it!

78bj40
January 5th, 2017, 09:24 AM
I had to take my 78BJ to emission test to be able to register it in Elpaso county, here they require diesel but no gas, you go figure this out. I took it to Exhaust readers, I had the 35x14.5 at the time but no one said anything about it and it passed the test.

dieseldoc
January 5th, 2017, 11:13 AM
Diesel emissions is privetly owned for each tester.
Gas is AIR care and they suck....

The StRanger
January 5th, 2017, 11:49 AM

And it has been proven that the entire length of the Clean Air Colorado has only improve air quality by less than 1%

dieseldoc
January 5th, 2017, 11:55 AM
Right, as well as keeping fuel econ low with all the crap choking the engine.

Example- 1979 Honda civic 1800cc got near 40 mpg
New one with all the computer controls and multi can still can't get into the 30+
I call B. S. On the EPA

Hypoid
January 5th, 2017, 06:34 PM
I had to take my 78BJ to emission test to be able to register it in Elpaso county, here they require diesel but no gas, you go figure this out. I took it to Exhaust readers, I had the 35x14.5 at the time but no one said anything about it and it passed the test.Vehicles older than 1982 do not do the treadmill test, making tire size irrelevant.

78bj40
January 5th, 2017, 06:44 PM
Vehicles older than 1982 do not do the treadmill test, making tire size irrelevant.

They actually put the truck on the dyno believe or not, I still don't know why an older truck like this is not exempt from the test but not much I can do.

dieseldoc
January 5th, 2017, 06:52 PM
It's a diesel so it gets tested on the rollers.
Gas not so much it would only get the sniffer.
Colorado doesn't care what year the truck is if it has a diesel engine it gets tested on the rollers.

EKXJ87
January 6th, 2017, 09:40 AM
Vehicles older than 1982 do not do the treadmill test, making tire size irrelevant.

Well that's news to me, I didn't know that. Thanks Mike!

newracer
January 6th, 2017, 10:40 AM
I was pleasantly surprised when I got my latest registration notification in the mail to see I passed emission from a roadside monitor. This was for my '07 JKUR.

Spieg
January 11th, 2017, 12:09 PM
Went to the testing station near Hampden and Federal yesterday. Was pleasantly surprised at how uncrowded it was (no line at all and 2 of the bays were actually closed completely). I drove right in with my 35s and they had me on my way in about 10 minutes (was on the treadmill for less than a minute when I saw a "Fast Pass Criteria Met" message come up on the display!). Only bad thing was driving across town to get there... No idea why they would put both the "large tire" testing centers on the same SW side of town rather than spreading them out to make it more convenient.

FWIW - the testing equipment/rollers looked exactly the same as what they have in Aurora so I wonder if there really is any difference.

husky390
January 11th, 2017, 07:18 PM
I wonder if the morons would have even noticed you had 35's.

dieseldoc
January 11th, 2017, 08:35 PM
They came out and asked me what size was on my jeep, and there only 33's