PDA

View Full Version : POLL: Anniversary Run - Date &/or Trail change...

Jim
January 9th, 2017, 12:21 PM
From this thread:
http://www.frontrange4x4.com/forums/showthread.php?25429-Lawsuit-forces-seasonal-road-closures-in-Pike-San-Isabel

March 8 (around this date) is when the Anniversary Run is typically scheduled. China Wall is the trail of history. The trail looks to be closed during the March timeframe.

Do we push the run back to when the trail is open? Do we choose a different trail and keep a March 8 timeframe? Do we choose a different trail and different date?

Chime in!

ColoJeeper
January 9th, 2017, 03:41 PM
I don't have any input, as I won't know my on call schedule until much closer to that date.

Patrolman
January 9th, 2017, 08:47 PM
Jim - do we have any trail options in mind? Between closures and weather the list may be short.

The StRanger
January 9th, 2017, 09:01 PM
Knowing why China wall is the anniversary trail this realy SUX. But I understand.
I always try to make the run (till life gets in the way)
My vote is to keep the date and vote for the trail.
I hope this closure is temp..

Jim
January 9th, 2017, 09:11 PM
Jim - do we have any trail options in mind?

Check the thread that is linked in the first post here. A few trails were tossed out - I don't recall the names right now. EDIT: Check this post (http://www.frontrange4x4.com/forums/showthread.php?25429-Lawsuit-forces-seasonal-road-closures-in-Pike-San-Isabel&p=310136#post310136)

I shall subtly say - c'mon folks - vote. At the base of this thread it shows member names who've poked a nose in here - but yet only three votes are tallied.

Members who have read this thread: 18

96EXXLTinCO
January 9th, 2017, 10:12 PM
I'm open to whatever, however a later date, especially end of June or later, would open up just about any trail you want to use. Keeping the March date is going to really limit the number of trails to use, especially if trying to keep it stocker friendly which IMO should be a top priority.

On the other hand, something to get people out of the house after hibernating for months is nice too. There was such a good turnout last year, I've been looking forward to the next one ever since. Just wish my back had been in better shape that day so I could've met more people.

xaza
January 10th, 2017, 06:57 AM
It was my understanding the run was set early in the year to kind of spark off the season with a big gathering. I put in my vote for a different trail, same time frame.

TJS86TOY
January 10th, 2017, 08:47 AM
Always fun trying to coordinate runs like this with a gazillion peoples schedule. So, with me, and my reasoning :eek:, may I suggest keeping same date however relocating to the "Gulches" area IE Longwater, Hackett, Metberry. The reasoning is that that area seems to get less snow and melts faster when it does, MANY levels of difficulty that can acomodate everyone, LOTS of dispersed camping if one chooses to. I go up there quite a bit and know just about every square inch of that area and it is HUGE , with many trails. You can also go Gem hunting if so inclined.

Anyway, that will be my vote.

FINOCJ
January 10th, 2017, 09:06 AM
Is there a 'story' behind why China wall is the trail for the Anniversary run? I realize and support all the 'practical' reasons such as the type of trail for all vehicles, good camping and gathering area etc, but thinking more along the lines of history or how I assume its related to the creation or formation of FR4x4. Assuming it has cultural or social heritage that may be worth keeping - thus my support for keeping the same trail and moving to a later date.

Chris
January 10th, 2017, 09:59 AM
Is there a 'story' behind why China wall is the trail for the Anniversary run?

http://www.frontrange4x4.com/forums/showthread.php?25429-Lawsuit-forces-seasonal-road-closures-in-Pike-San-Isabel&p=309981#post309981

FINOCJ
January 10th, 2017, 10:17 AM
Chris - so I gather then that China Wall was chosen for the 'practical' reasons mentioned, but not because of some historically significant event associated with FR4x4. If that is the case, then I would more easily support keeping the date and changing the trail.

Hypoid
January 10th, 2017, 11:02 AM
I shall subtly say - c'mon folks - vote. At the base of this thread it shows member names who've poked a nose in here - but yet only three votes are tallied.

Members who have read this thread: 18113 views, 12 votes, and I am still thinking about this.

Chris
January 10th, 2017, 11:02 AM
James, correct. To be honest I think it was chosen as being the most reasonable choice of a trail that would be fairly decent in March. The distance for most folks and stocker friendly were important considerations too. The reality is the turnout has been strongly influenced by the weather the morning of the run. i.e., I recall one year of blizzard-like conditions sent a lot of people back to bed after looking out the window or turning around when heading out to the run. Those conditions didn't carry through to China Wall which was pretty decent for those that persevered and made it.

Brian
January 10th, 2017, 07:28 PM
I went with different trail, same date. Need an aiming point to get this bucket rolling again.

JandDGreens
January 10th, 2017, 09:13 PM
I went with different trail, same date. Need an aiming point to get this bucket rolling again.
I did the same, I like the idea of a run to kick-off the season and welcome the new people to Front Range 4x4. and really don't want to wait till June to go wheeling, I am still having a hard time with those trails being closed till then seems so wrong to eliminate half a season??? Is there anything that we can do to influence this??

Brad
January 11th, 2017, 06:11 AM
I voted to change the date and location. Warmer temps tend to draw more people out.

Spieg
January 13th, 2017, 11:51 AM
I voted to change the date and location. Warmer temps tend to draw more people out.

X2 - I'm not much for winter wheeling, and I seldom run the same trail two years in a row (too much variety out there for that).

Chris
January 13th, 2017, 09:12 PM
262 folks on the Member list and 20 votes in 4 days?

At this rate it will be our anniversary before everyone votes! :blah:

The StRanger
January 13th, 2017, 10:24 PM
I just think its an Anniversary and should be on the Anniversary weekend even if it's a different trail.
If it's on another weekend it's just a run.

Brad
January 14th, 2017, 07:48 AM
I disagree Sam. I tend to be miserable standing around talking with people in the cold and I'm not alone. It's about getting us all together and getting to know one another. This in turn helps us get more runs planned for the season. I should clarify my initial response. Later date but later in terms or warmer. Late April/ early May. :thumb:

dieseldoc
January 14th, 2017, 08:44 AM
I agree that the warmer temp would bring out more folks.
Thus why I thought going south to the clutches.
I agree with TJ about the area.
There is a medow of cedar mt. rd. that has fresh water as well as a few fire pits.
There is now 4 trails down there that range widely in difficulty.
The slabs are not much difficulty, ( I fi,dthe in my jeep with open diff's- as well as seen F150s down there, so IFS is no issue)
For the folks that want to get near to the water Mettberry has a wonderful medow at the bottom.

JandDGreens
January 14th, 2017, 09:45 AM
Unfortunately the Gulches are on the list, I am tempted to take a drive soon and see if they are truly closed with signs and all.

Jim
January 14th, 2017, 10:57 AM
We'll need to know what trails are available (and suitable) as deciding upon a trail is soon to take place...

Hypoid
January 14th, 2017, 09:52 PM
262 folks on the Member list and 20 votes in 4 days?

At this rate it will be our anniversary before everyone votes! :blah:
I voted! I also keep coming back to see how the poll is progressing.

The StRanger
January 15th, 2017, 09:46 AM

X2

dieseldoc
January 15th, 2017, 10:37 AM

X3

TJS86TOY
January 15th, 2017, 07:49 PM
Unfortunately the Gulches are on the list, I am tempted to take a drive soon and see if they are truly closed with signs and all.

Nope. Just was up at Longwater and Metberry Saturday, no signs.

dieseldoc
January 16th, 2017, 05:34 PM
Thanks for the update TJ

CS79bronco
January 17th, 2017, 02:20 PM
I keep checking in, but because I'm not there I don't feel right about voting. :frown:

Chris
January 19th, 2017, 05:04 PM
You could come Charles!

JandDGreens
February 21st, 2017, 09:35 PM
So I decided to take a long drive to see if there are signs at China Wall. No signs at designated trail heads.

Jim
February 21st, 2017, 09:41 PM
Thanks for the pictures David.

That opening sign is nice. I wonder if that's a FS model to be used elsewhere or if it's a ColoradoFourWheelers.org item?

Go for China Wall this time around?

JandDGreens
February 21st, 2017, 09:43 PM
Before I got to china wall I did find a sign at a road that would allow OHV vehicles on designated trails

JandDGreens
February 21st, 2017, 09:47 PM
Actually I feel That Hacket Metberry and longwater gulches would make for a great day for all levels. But that s really not up to me. I just wanted to see for myself. I really want to run SlaughterHouse now!

JandDGreens
February 21st, 2017, 09:52 PM
You know I was watching the news and they ran a story about people hunting antler shed and the problems it causes the wild life I wonder if this is why they are closing off sme of the access points and not main trails?

FINOCJ
February 22nd, 2017, 07:04 AM
Wonder what colorado four wheelers have to say...since its their adopt a trail maybe they have specific info or recommendations?

Hypoid
February 22nd, 2017, 07:09 AM
From the horse's mouth: https://www.fs.usda.gov/Internet/FSE_DOCUMENTS/fseprd523524.pdf

:2c:

JandDGreens
February 22nd, 2017, 10:24 AM
So I asked the Co Springs Club and this was his response;
> I belong to FR 4x4 and some concerns we have are about the seasonal trail closures that are supposed to take away 90% of the trails that are used in the winter months. I was hoping you might have some insight on the subject.
> This is what we are concerned with; https://www.fs.usda.gov/Internet/FSE_DOCUMENTS/fseprd523524.pdf
> I took a drive yesterday and only found one sign at one access point. China Wall did not have a sign nor did the trail system south of China Wall . If you would please contact me on what you know or any action we can get involved with to combat this sanction.
Hi David,

Unfortunately we don't have a whole lot more information then you do. All we know is this is the results of a lawsuit that has been going on for about 4 years. The Judge granted the winter closure of these trails till each could be looked at by ???? And when ???? Returns their findings the closers could possibly be lifted or could stay in place. From what we have been told the closers are to protect field mice and elk migration. As far as China Wall goes the south 2 entrances are ok till the entry hill and it's closed past that. It's also closed from the gate at the north entrance. Signs will be posted as the Forest service is able to post them but we all know how fast the forest service gets around to posting signs. As far as fighting the closers there is not much that can be done. Those public meetings have come and gone. What has really hurt China wall was the damage that was done 2 springs ago in the flood plain just below the wall. The mud became deep and people made there own ways around the area destroying the surrounding vegetation "field mice habitat " and that what got China wall added to the list. So at this point we are just waiting to see what comes back with the study. We have been told that if you are caught in the closure area the penalties are to be enforced with out warnings. So we have just told people to stay off the trail. If we get more information I'd be happy to pass it along.

Tony Cobb, President

JandDGreens
February 22nd, 2017, 10:26 AM
So I did not drive back in there to where we had our pot-luck so I guess that is where it is closed from.

cornpone99
February 22nd, 2017, 08:17 PM
Thanks for the thorough follow up. That doesn't look like an option
Is it possible to do a cedar mt rd anniversary run where people choose their own run, metberry, hacket, long water etc...?

Jim
February 22nd, 2017, 10:37 PM
I'm closing this thread. Please gather in the new trail selection thread:

Trail Forum > Trail Run Planning > 2017 Anniversary Run - Trail selection

http://www.frontrange4x4.com/forums/showthread.php?25537