PDA

View Full Version : Personalized - Collector license plates

Spieg
January 10th, 2017, 06:24 PM
Anyone know the process for getting personalized plates? I found an application form on line for personalized plates, but I don't get the process.

I'm due to renew my registration and my Jeep is eligible for collector plates this year. If I go with regular collector plates (not personalized), I think I can get plates from the county MVD on the same day I pay the taxes (same as with regular plates except you pay 5 years worth of taxes up-front).

What I don't know;
What happens if I go with personalized plates... Do they give me a temporary until the application is approved, or what? Do I have to go back to get the plates once they are made or do they ship them to my home? Do they charge a fee every year for personalized plates or is it a one time fee?

I'm sure some of you know the ropes. Thanks in advance for any info you can share.

Chris
January 10th, 2017, 06:30 PM
I have personalized plates (FR4X4) and recall filling out the paperwork and waiting for approval. You give the plate you want, what it means and provide an alternative ot two. I didn't provide that since I wanted what I wanted and nothing else. I think you can check availability online too. You get a temp tag until your plate comes in and I picked mine up since the office was by my house. There is an additional fee, not much that I recall but there is some annual cost.

Patrolman
January 10th, 2017, 07:38 PM
When you get the collector plates, it is essentially the 5 years worth of dues up front. You are also required to now sign a document that you will not drive more than 4,500 miles per year.

Keep in mind you still have to get the emissions test every 5 years. Basically you are paying up front to "lock in" your rate for 5 years and limit your mileage. Personally I won't be putting collector plates on my vehicles when they come due next year.

Spieg
January 10th, 2017, 09:17 PM
Worth it to me just to skip an emission test if nothing else. It's mostly a weekend wheeler in the summer so the mileage won't be an issue.

Fordguy77
January 14th, 2017, 04:32 PM
When you get the collector plates, it is essentially the 5 years worth of dues up front. You are also required to now sign a document that you will not drive more than 4,500 miles per year.

Keep in mind you still have to get the emissions test every 5 years. Basically you are paying up front to "lock in" your rate for 5 years and limit your mileage. Personally I won't be putting collector plates on my vehicles when they come due next year.
Wonder if this is county related? I reupped my plates in December in Jefferson county and didnt have to sign any papers on it.