PDA

View Full Version : Jeep Cherokee stolen twice in one week

Patrolman
February 24th, 2017, 07:11 PM
This was on the news today. Guy has a good sense of humor about it.

http://denver.cbslocal.com/2017/02/23/mans-jeep-stolen-twice-in-one-week/

Hypoid
February 24th, 2017, 07:16 PM
These XJs are too easy to steal. :frown:

The StRanger
February 24th, 2017, 08:30 PM
Wow.

Brian
February 24th, 2017, 09:49 PM
*Adds battery kill switch to the "to do list"

I see all these XJ's getting stol'd and it makes me worry

Hypoid
February 24th, 2017, 11:37 PM
*Adds battery kill switch to the "to do list"That is half the battle. Now to think of a good visual deterrent, to make the crooks move on.

xaza
February 25th, 2017, 06:47 AM
You can install an led light through a flasher or timer and toggle switch in the dash to simulate an alarm.
https://vetco.net/products/adjustable-interval-timer-mk111?gclid=Cj0KEQiA88TFBRDYrOPKuvfY2pIBEiQA97Z8MY H7EJRrreYOTh_fN-OC3Hx_IZ2p9cMuBO0RfQ_TcBsaAoYv8P8HAQ
Or for a couple hundred bucks get the basic alarm installed. I think it was just under $300 for Car Toys, pretty much everybody else I think is cheaper.

Brian
February 25th, 2017, 10:47 AM
A couple months ago my ignition cylinder finally just wouldn't let me turn the key in the Jeep anymore. So, I bought a replacement ignition cylinder that came with a key ~$40. It also had the tumblers so you could match it to your factory key and not have two separate keys for the door and ignition. So I matched up the factory tumblers in the new ignition cylinder and all is well. However it occurred to me that if someone bought the replacement ignition cylinder with key as I did, then all one would have to do is get inside an XJ (97-01 year models I'm guessing are the same) and two phillip head screws later they could swap out the ignition cylinders and start up and drive off. Nothing needs to be broken or damaged on the column. If you had done it a couple times it might only take 2-3 minutes. Certainly there are other ways, but this way would be too easy once you got a door open. :erm:

Hypoid
February 25th, 2017, 11:52 AM
My luck would be to have someone bust the column on a Jeep that won't start. :mad:

Jim
February 25th, 2017, 01:57 PM
Kill a sensor but allow the motor to crank - gives the illusion that it's startable and that "something must be busted" to get it running (and thus not worthy of more attention).