PDA

View Full Version : K5 cage progress

wuan2000
March 2nd, 2017, 09:51 AM
Finally getting back to the K5 project. I've been out of the mix for a while with various 'to-do' items. The cage is underway and finally snagged the 14 bolt FF and Dana 60 front for the swap project. Good lord, the asking prices for these axles has matched the trends of the Colorado real estate market! :frown:

Additionally, I've added some new tools in the shop to make life easier (sort of) for fabrication. The Bend-Tech software has been a godsend. Its made the process far more efficient by mitigating some of the waste and second guessing a few notches and bends. The new tube notcher and the air/hydraulic ram on the bender has saved on some extra grunts and beads of sweat as well.

I'm hoping to have the axles swapped, the 4-link fab'd up, and the PSC steering gear in place by early May. I'd love to haul it to Moab in May for a run. Fingers crossed my plans come to fruition...and my wallet doesn't get lost. :D

Brian
March 2nd, 2017, 10:07 PM
Looking good! :smokin:

redneck23ms
March 3rd, 2017, 06:12 AM
just doing the bed cage or are you going to continue it into the cab?

TJS86TOY
March 3rd, 2017, 06:35 AM
Little jealous of the hydro on the bender :thumb: Cage is Looking most excelenteee !!

Java
March 3rd, 2017, 02:57 PM
Really nice work! :thumb:

wuan2000
March 4th, 2017, 04:54 PM
just doing the bed cage or are you going to continue it into the cab?

good question, glad you asked! Yes, continuing into the cab; around doors, roof and across the dash.

wuan2000
March 4th, 2017, 04:55 PM
Thanks TJ!

The StRanger
March 4th, 2017, 07:36 PM
Very nice work....

EKXJ87
March 6th, 2017, 08:35 AM
Very nice work on the cage! Which Bend-tech software did you end up getting? so will the programming also tell you the angle of the notches.

wuan2000
March 15th, 2017, 09:45 PM
Very nice work on the cage! Which Bend-tech software did you end up getting? so will the programming also tell you the angle of the notches.

Thanks Steve. I have the Bend-Tech Pro 7.x with the Armor Pack and Steel Plate add-ons. And yes, there is a notching function in the program that assists with cut-outs/notches. Prior to this, I used the PipeMaster contour gauge...which worked fine. But the notching tool in the program allows for printing out the wrapper(s) to transfer to the tubing for darn-near perfect notches every time. The software has paid for itself many times over in just reducing/eliminating material waste (cost). I'll post some updates as I progress into the cab. Right now, I'm working on the 4-link and axles. I had to pretty much rebuild the Dana 60 I picked up. :erm: Waiting on a few things to arrive on the porch. Thanks again!

Onward!

EKXJ87
March 17th, 2017, 06:43 AM
Very Cool Program I may have to consider it for my upcoming project. Thank for sharing !

wuan2000
April 4th, 2017, 08:55 PM
In the K5; ready to progress into the cab and frame points. The darn Dana 60 rebuild has added delays, but as many of you know, well worth it.
I've designed the rear tube bumper that I'll start on after the 4-link project is done. Ugh...there's just not enough time in the day with a regular work schedule. Can't wait to win the lotto! :D

wuan2000
April 14th, 2018, 03:56 PM
Okay...(sigh)...it’s been a while. A lot has been going on that has pretty much stifled the K5 project. BUT, I’m ready to get back on track. Since last fall, I’ve acquired quite a bit of equipment and it’s been busy since. Here’s the K5 project as of today (4/14):
14 bolt rear, trussed, pinion guard, w/locker - done
D60 front with locker - 90% done
4-link front/back - 50% done
PSC hydro steer kit - ordered 4/12
ORI Struts - got ‘em (November ‘17)
Shock/Strut hoops & towers - umm...haven’t started those yet.
Beadlocks - making them on the CNC at any time.
Fuel cell - need to order
Brake lines and drive shafts - need to route and order. (Ugh!)

I now have pretty much an adequate fab shop. 4x8 CNC plasma table, HUGE powder coat oven and spray booth, air/hydro tube bender, 20 ton press with finger break, welders, 9k lift...and so on. But the CNC business has kept me busy on everything but my own rig. 😞 I really need to get this K5 crawler finished!! I’m sooo missing the trails.

wuan2000
April 14th, 2018, 04:09 PM
No, the bead locks won’t be bright green...that was just a powder coat color for demonstration. 😉

TJS86TOY
May 5th, 2018, 07:32 AM
Good clean work! What length ORI's did you get? Are you going for aluminum lower links?