PDA

View Full Version : Camping Trailer Advice

Java
April 9th, 2017, 08:51 AM
In may we're seriously camper shopping, we've been putting aside $$ for something brand new we're ready to pull the trigger. It's a pretty big purchase that I've never done before, trying not to make a bad choice. This is the one we're looking at, they have some good deals now, and we're hoping that after the initial spring rush we can do even better.

Has anyone had one? How are they on the trails in actual use? We want to go to places like the North Sand Hills, Rabbit Valley, Big Dominguez Campground, so I'm looking at the shortest model to fit places better. The Jayco Baja looks good too... any advice?

Does anyone use the A/C? Im thinking of passing on that and for sure passing on the TV.

Thanks!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SIkIow-v6FQ

Patrolman
April 9th, 2017, 09:05 AM
I haven't had a trailer like this, but unless you are going to have a generator or be at a camp spot with power, you won't be able to run your A/C. How you intend to use it may determine if you buy the A/C.

Since we don't have A/C, for our camper I am building a simple swamp cooler. Uses very minimal power so it can run several days on a battery charge. I also plan to install a solar panel to keep the battery charged.
https://burners.me/2012/07/30/figjam-how-to-make-a-bucket-cooler/

Java
April 9th, 2017, 09:57 AM
Probably true for the microwave as well. I like the swamp cooler idea, and they have fans for the roofvents. It's Colorado, I'm not sure we'll ever use the A/C or that we'll often / ever go to a site with hookups.

Chris
April 9th, 2017, 10:24 AM
I never had a desire for A/C myself but after spending a couple weeks in AZ with temps hitting 100+ I became a believer. I like full hookups myself and carry a generator just in case so my experience & preferences appear to be very different.

Spieg
April 9th, 2017, 11:21 AM
experience & preferences appear to be very different.
That’s it!

Individual wants and needs will vary greatly. For me, something like this teardrop would be perfect, but would suck for a family.
https://static1.squarespace.com/static/50a2edb4e4b0936d5690f00b/t/58a7f40dbe6594a084177ed7/1487402008984/Moby1+XTR?format=2500w

Java
April 9th, 2017, 11:48 AM
I think if I ended up going to more places with hook ups I'm looking at the wrong type of trailer, I'd be better off with something a little larger. We still have a few weeks to think it through...

These are weird and at Kettelsen:

http://www.wegocamping.com/rvdetails/new-fold-down-rvs/2017-coachmen-viking-express-90-pop-up-0k-WRC1397544

http://images.rvs.com/WRC/1397544/1000x/2017_coachmen_viking_express_90_wrc1397544_6.jpg

http://www.wegocamping.com/rvdetails/new-fold-down-rvs/2017-sylvan-sport-sylvan-sport-go-pop-up-0k-WRC1406644
http://images.rvs.com/WRC/1406644/1000x/2017_sylvan_sport_sylvan_sport_go_wrc1406644_7.jpg

Chris
April 9th, 2017, 11:56 AM
My style - North Rim of the Grand Canyon

Brian
April 9th, 2017, 01:19 PM
We’ve had a few campers (4 truck campers and 1 travel trailer) over the last 15 years. I think we only used the AC once and that was early summer in the Black Hills. We camped most often with no hookups, but occasionally had full hookups at some of our stops.

The one thing in my opinion that is essential is solar. I put it in all my campers and it makes camping without hook ups awesome. You really can stay “out there” for a long while with solar charging your batteries during the day.

We always preferred to have our bed run North/South (parallel with length of the camper) rather than East/West (perpendicular to the length of the camper). Hard to find in a smaller camper, but it’s nice not having to climb over each other to get in and out of the bed.

What are you towing with?

Java
April 9th, 2017, 03:25 PM
The side mount ones are just regular window mount air conditioners like what walmart has, so I'm pretty sure we're going to skip it and just pjut one in down the road.

Towing with my 2006 LJ or my wife's 2013 Xterra. The Xterra mostly, it's much more suited to it.

Patrolman
April 9th, 2017, 04:33 PM
Just a thought. If you will towing in the mountains with an automatic transmission, you may want to put on an external transmission cooler.

Java
April 9th, 2017, 05:46 PM
So Smittybilt officially makes everything now. It actually looks pretty good, love the suspension setup:

https://www.quadratec.com/p/smittybilt/scout-trailer?gclid=CIOOldr1l9MCFYy2wAodZUwGWA

https://www.quadratec.com/sites/default/files/styles/product_zoomed/public/product_images/Smittybilt-Scout-Trailer.jpg

ExplorerTom
April 9th, 2017, 06:30 PM
So Paul, you've got that other "offroad trailer" thread, are you going a different way? The still frame of the video you posted above (I didn't watch it) does not look like an offroad trailer.

I camped as a kid in a couple different Coleman popup trailers. We never had AC. And I don't ever remember needing AC. But we always camped in the mountains where you were outside during the day (usually wearing shorts) and then put pants on in the evening. The furnace was used occasionally. These trailers were not offroad trailers and were only towed down dirt roads (Goose Creek Road long before the fires). We never had solar. The only electric items we had were lights and the faucet and the heater fan. With LED light bulbs I'd imagine it would take awhile to drain a battery.

Fast forward to me taking my kids. We got another popup to relive the glory days of my childhood. Except this time it wasn't nearly as glorious. Setting up and tearing down camp is a lot more work when I was doing the bulk of the work- not like when I was a kid. I was wanting a hard sided camper after a short camping season with the popup. I figured with a hard sided camper, there would be less set up and tear down. Again, this was no offroad trailer so we were in campgrounds with some sometimes rowdy people at night. It seemed to suck the fun out of it.

We used it less and less and decided to sell it. And at that point getting another trailer didn't seem to make any sense.

Now I tent camp. I have a small dome tent and an RV-5 Oztent. I like the simplicity of tent camping. Trailer camping we tended to take too much- trying to bring home with us.

Java
April 9th, 2017, 07:03 PM
The other thread has been going since June 2013, and I still love that little trailer. It's great for camping, I like being able to set it up before hand and just hook up and go, and it's never been any problem on a trail. It's tiny. Its also really useful as a regular flatbed with the top off, in that thread there are pics of me bringing OSB home from home depot, it's done that a couple of times with other materials, and we've used it for appliances too. Thats probably not going anywhere, it was cheap to build and is long paid for. Cheap to register too.

We've wanted a camping trailer for a while and someone we know just got a similar one to the first post video and we loved it. It does go offroad, it's made for that. We also pass one on the way to Golden allthe time and always comment on how the size is perfect and it has a ton of clearance. We saw some at one of the dealers in Golden a couple of weeks ago and are sold on the idea of extended camping in one, it's pretty comfortable and a bathroom is awesome. We just have to find the nice price...

So I'm looking for advice, common pitfalls before we shop. Then first stop Canyonlands!

ExplorerTom
April 9th, 2017, 08:08 PM
What kind of hitch should you use? I'd think a regular ball hitch would be a bad idea in some offroad situations. Wouldn't a pintle hitch be better?

Depending on the type of offroad you're looking at, you may want to consider getting some deeper gears installed on whichever vehicle is going to tow it.

Java
April 9th, 2017, 08:31 PM
Just a regular ball hitch should work for campsites, that's what they come with. I have a pintle setup for my offroad trailer, I like the lock-n-roll types too. I see trailers all the time with them at fourmile, northsand hills, places like that. If we have a problem I'll upgrade, but I'm not worried about it. I doubt we'll need to regear with such a light trailer, the Xterra is powerful and has low range. IDK...

this is another one we're interested in:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_q6WNUrhj2o

Brad
April 10th, 2017, 06:14 AM
I watched both videos. I think the Starcraft is a nicer camper. Fixtures and cabinets look like they are nicer. Little more thought put into the build. I can say I've been to Moab when it's just a little hot and is the reason we have A/C on our pop up. Have never used it as we always boondock in it and without shore power it is too many amps to run. I do use the A/C when plugged in at home and am doing mods to the camper. Having said that it is really a question of where you plan to use it. RV park or boondock and what percentage of each? I second adding solar if your plan is to boondock. Our solar is amazing and is still working perfectly after 6+ years.

The RTT trailer is nice but as you are entertaining full campers with shower and toilet they are not comparable. I can say Jenn and I love our setup with the RTT and opted for the complete clean waste setup for a bathroom. Has worked great so far. Hope that helps.

ColoJeeper
April 10th, 2017, 08:49 AM
When you get close to deciding, see if you can rent one and do a "test camp" with it. That's the best way to know if you are really going to like it before you plunk down a bunch of money on one. Keeps you from paying for options you won't use, and helps you know which ones hit the "necessary" list. I have a pop-up camper, and it gets used about 50/50 between outback and campground camping. Heated mattresses are really nice for late and early season sleeping, but need an electrical hookup.

Chris
April 10th, 2017, 05:44 PM
Ran across this today, Arizona in July. My case to have A/C. :D

ExplorerTom
April 10th, 2017, 06:17 PM
My case to stay away from AZ in July. I lived there. It's hot.

But out I bet if you were at the Grand Canyon in July, you might not have been using the AC at night. It cools off in the desert at night.

Chris
April 10th, 2017, 07:07 PM
We have a friend that comes out once a year for a road trip so we don't choose the date, we go when she can get time off. On that particular trip the transformer for the campground blew so the A/C wasn't any help, we chose the dam tour which goes down 5 levels where it was cool.

The tin box did cool down at night, probably to about 80 degrees.

Java
April 10th, 2017, 07:14 PM
My wife has family in AZ, I've seen pics of 120 degrees and a wall of sand moving in on the city. AZ in general is not high on my list, although I'm sure it has some great stuff. We're thinking mostly Colorado, but also Utah, Northern California and the Pacific Northwest.

JandDGreens
April 12th, 2017, 07:58 AM
I know a trailer that is totally self contained with all the luxuries of home would e nice. But I am not to keen on with towing something larger than my vehicle. I know with a family it would be real nice to have for traveling the outdoors. I hope to have my trailer titled this year. My goal is to be able to go all over the country exploring when I retire weeks at a time. That trailer you are looking at would be nice, but just to big for me to tow.

Java
April 13th, 2017, 07:56 AM
I don't expect to keep it more than a couple of years, I doubt we'll even pay it off, just a fun thing for a little while. I just became debt free this year, like a f*****g communist, so I have to buy something on credit to stay American. When I retire I want to have the most ridiculous 4 door 1 ton dually (unless 6 doors is available) with a gigantic Toy Hauler / UTV. I'm just one lottery ticket away from that...