PDA

View Full Version : Trying to find a V-Belt / or specs for it

Jim
May 5th, 2017, 10:46 PM
I'm working at putting a York compressor onto the engine for tire inflation tasks. I'm close and I'm on the hunt for the V-Belt that runs from the crank to the compressor. While my jeep is a 90 with the 4.2L/258 it has been converted to fuel injection. It has power steering but no longer any air pump.

I've tried searching various years of Wagoneers / Cherokees / CJ's with the 4.2 liter (258) motor but I've not found the belt. Anyone think they could assist? Maybe I'll pull out a tape measure... but I thought I'd ask.

Below are three photos. The "green line" is the belt I'm searching for.

Thx for the concern.

EDIT 1
I measured at the outer edge/face of the pulleys / where the outer face of the belt would be. Is that the correct method or should I measure at the base of the "V"?

Crank to A/C belt: 54.5" (min adjuster) to 56.5" (max adjuster).

A/C to ALT belt 29" min / 31" max.

EDIT 2
I might have found it on an 1980 Jeep Cherokee Wide Track L6 - 4.2L vin C 258ci - 2BBL GAS OHV
http://www.oreillyauto.com/site/c/detail/GATA/7541/03305.oap?year=1980&make=Jeep&model=Cherokee&vi=5010749&ck=Search_C0074_5010749_-1&pt=C0074&ppt=C0007
"Dealer Installed A/C" keeps coming up in notes

Width (In): 0.41 Inch
Width (mm): 10mm
Outside Circumference (In): 54-9/16 Inch

but... getting into widths and measuring the water pump / power steering belt. On the vehicle is a Napa Premium XL 25-9465 which is 0.47" (12mm) wide. The crank-A/C belt has the same width pulleys so I'd believe I'd be looking for the same width (0.47" / 12mm).

Java
May 6th, 2017, 06:50 AM
Make a string belt in the right length and bring it to NAPA to size up?

xaza
May 6th, 2017, 07:52 AM
Make a string belt in the right length and bring it to NAPA to size up?
using string will get all the way to inside of pulley which the belt should not set. The belt wedges on the sides prior to bottoming out in pulley otherwise you get poor belt wear and premature failing. Your tape measure should get you close and then try the belt and adjust accordingly. For work we use Western Belting, they have a pretty extensive knowledge of belts and sheaves, I doubt they can tell you what size you need but they could help with how to measure. Long haul for you and they were recently bought by another company, not sure yet how it will effect them. A sheave gauge might help you determine the pitch you are needing. Here is a video I found that might help.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=87MtHNzOq3g

Jim
May 6th, 2017, 10:08 PM
I'm set! A good step forward.

I made a stop at Napa today and picked up the "first stab". As they closed and I want to move this along I made a stop at AutoZone. The gent there was willing to help but they NEEDED make/model to access any belt. I asked why they could not go by size and he said - look at this (we walked to the belt location). Their belts are organized by part number - not by size. AutoZone was a dead end. Over to O`Reilly which is further but often times a nicer stop - and that was reinforced.

O`Reilly didn't need make/model and took my sizes and said "just a moment..." They came back with two belts and I left to see how they might fit. Both fit and could work but I wished for a nicer fitment (they were near the end of adjustment / too large). Back to the store and I told'm the predicament and an easy swap (no change in cost) these two belts went on and they have proper fitment (no forcing at the min adjustment and ample adjustment left for max adjustment). Now that I know the size, I'll keep these economy belts as spares (spare belts and rad hoses get zip-tied to the underside of the seats) and purchase premium for use.

A/C (the green line belt)
http://www.oreillyauto.com/site/c/detail/MBH0/7541.oap
54-3/4" outside circumference
10mm width
36 degree V

ALT
http://www.oreillyauto.com/site/c/detail/MBH0/7290.oap
29-5/8" outside circumference
10mm width
36 degree V

Thanks for the help folks.

Java
May 7th, 2017, 06:51 AM
:thumb: Glad it worked out, and thanks for the tutorial, Cliff!!

Spieg
May 7th, 2017, 07:58 AM
Their belts are organized by part number - not by size.

This is true of most parts stores... including the O store. An experienced store worker would probably also have known that the part numbers are typically organized by size. I often go to the store armed with a micrometer to quickly find the correct width and then it's relatively easy to figure out the lengths (same holds true with non-stock radiator hoses - use a micrometer to find the correct diameter then scan that section for the length/shape needed. The guys at my local Napa are pretty used to seeing me with my micrometer and just follow me around as I look for what I need.

dieseldoc
May 9th, 2017, 05:51 PM
LOL nice Brian. Glad they are cool and just do what is needed. not much of that around any mor.
we had some parts guys that would particapate in our practical jokes......
they kept one girl at the parts store for 2 hours looking for and calling about a muffler bearing!
we had the brakes done by the time she got back!