PDA

View Full Version : Ouray dispersed camping?

TJS86TOY
May 8th, 2017, 07:49 AM
Not sure if this has been asked before but, does anyone know of any dispersed camping near the trails outside of Ouray? Something to allow a big ford truck with a overhead camper. Thanks in advance.

FINOCJ
May 8th, 2017, 08:24 AM
Yea - there is some up Yankee Boy Basin Rd past (west) of the fork south that goes over Immogene. Its not easy for a passenger car to get up there without some bumping, but a truck should be okay (4wd...pulling a trailer?). I am sure there are others, but that is the area I know of. There are also some spots just north and west of Silverton - would have to check a map to get a road name or number.

Chris
May 8th, 2017, 08:42 AM
Check out Alta Lakes area TJ, I think it has some good dispersed camping though I've never used it. If you don't mind traditional campgrounds the Amphitheater over looking Ouray should work for you. Of course there are a bunch of RV type places where you're pretty much on top for each other or the State park down the road.

JandDGreens
May 8th, 2017, 07:12 PM
In one of my books there is a ghost town location that allows camping and I think it even has a pit toilet (Eureka Gulch) page 52 in my FunTreks 3rd edition guide. When we wet down there we just stayed a the Matterhorn Inn Very nice trip!

TJS86TOY
May 11th, 2017, 06:57 AM
Thanks to all, Have not decided just when I will go out there but really want to make it this year.

JandDGreens
May 11th, 2017, 07:46 AM
I would like to take long weekend and go down there when the passes are opened up. mainly to do trails. It's a wait ad see for me too.

Brad
May 12th, 2017, 05:25 AM
Bolam pass which starts at the purgatory ski area has some spots at the beginning. Pretty easy trail but very scenic. I have a trip report from way back in 2010.