PDA

View Full Version : how about that hail storm???

sofamango4x4
May 8th, 2017, 07:05 PM
So looking for some advice...

I just recently moved to Golden into an older apartment complex and they've been renovating the buildings and grounds to make them a little more modern...BUT I don't think they've redone the roofs because that hail just smashed right through it. Now our ceiling is leaking...not just a drip drop but water was pouring out of the ceiling fans and ceiling lamps. It's slowed down now but it's far from stopping. I'm super concerned about mold. Has anyone else been in this situation? If so, what did you do and did you get out of your lease?

I've never been in this situation and I've never experienced a hail storm like this before! :eek::eek::eek::eek::confused::confused::confused: :confused::frown::frown::frown::frown:

Patrolman
May 8th, 2017, 08:13 PM
Never had to deal with anything like that before. Make sure to take some photos in case you need them to argue about it later. Personally, I would reach out to them and indicate that the apartment is no longer inhabitable. Water coming in through the ceiling and through the wiring is a hazard. I personally can't see how they would make you stay in the place. I also can't see them getting it all resolved in a timely manner for you to move back in.

Tom
May 8th, 2017, 08:36 PM
What hail storm. None in Longmont or Boulder.

Jim
May 8th, 2017, 08:57 PM
http://kdvr.com/2017/05/08/hail-breaks-windows-windshields-in-lakewood-and-golden/

Hypoid
May 8th, 2017, 11:12 PM
So looking for some advice...

I just recently moved to Golden into an older apartment complex and they've been renovating the buildings and grounds to make them a little more modern...BUT I don't think they've redone the roofs because that hail just smashed right through it. Now our ceiling is leaking...not just a drip drop but water was pouring out of the ceiling fans and ceiling lamps. It's slowed down now but it's far from stopping. I'm super concerned about mold. Has anyone else been in this situation? If so, what did you do and did you get out of your lease?

I've never been in this situation and I've never experienced a hail storm like this before! :eek::eek::eek::eek::confused::confused::confused: :confused::frown::frown::frown::frown:What Jeff said: Real (here and now) problems need to be solved by the property owner/management company. Document the problem (occupancy is not weather-tight) and notify the property management company.

This is a good time to have an attorney on retainer...

Hypoid
May 8th, 2017, 11:13 PM
http://naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=1140261

Swank1975
May 9th, 2017, 02:30 AM
It amazes me to see multiple car window broken on a parked car. I know Lakewood had lots of property hit. No hail in centennial luckily.

TJS86TOY
May 9th, 2017, 05:46 AM
Work van, busted windshield on I25 smack in the middle of the storm, broken window rain keeper outer thingies, all 4 (those plastic things?) , Broken skylight in camper. Could have been worse.
Sophia, First I would speak with the landlord or company about your concerns and intentions. Then, if it is not resolved through that, look over your lease and see if there is anything that would constitute a breach of contract, if so then going through proper channels, you should be able to get out of the lease. Lastly, If all fails, hire an attorney as a last effort.

xaza
May 9th, 2017, 06:03 AM
This would also be a good time to make sure and have renters insurance. The landlord is not responsible to replace your items that are damaged because of the leaking water. I have seen some places require you to carry it. Talk with management, they should be willing to work on getting repairs done as quickly as possible but many contractors may be busy due to the storm and it could take a little bit. Often they will pay for a hotel while the repairs are being done. If they aren't willing to get things done, then I would look into other options such as moving out. In regards to the mold, it won't form from things getting wet for a couple days. It takes time and if the roof is repaired things should dry out. Here in Colorado our humidity is fairly low so mold is not a big issue like it is on the east coast.

sofamango4x4
May 9th, 2017, 07:46 AM

http://www.denverpost.com/2017/05/08/thunderstorms-forecast-denver-area/

Java
May 9th, 2017, 07:49 AM
You're not the first, this happens. Document everything with pics and videos and you'll be fine, all the laws are on your side. It's in the best interest of the landlord to get everything straight as fast as possible, hope they're already on it. My car (not the Jeep) got some hail damage and I left my camping gear outside and one of my containers got busted up. Unfortunately I just finished putting new gutters on my house myself and it looks like we're calling insurance for the roof and gutters today, if I had just procrastinated I wouldn't have to do them at all. :lmao:

sofamango4x4
May 9th, 2017, 07:50 AM
Thanks all! We have renters insurance (thank goodness, never thought I would have to use it) and have emailed our property manager and attached pictures. Trying to make a paper/email trail as I notice with the staff here, if you just call or talk to them about it, it never gets done. UGH! What a painnnnnnnnnn and more rain forecasted today. :frown:

Swank1975
May 9th, 2017, 08:33 AM
Good luck my friend these can be very stressful times.

ColoJeeper
May 9th, 2017, 02:01 PM
My Challenger and JK both have body damage from the hail, but luckily no broken glass. Will be calling a roofer to do an inspection on my house and garage and suspect a new roof is in my future too.

Anybody here do roofing or have a good reference?

Swank1975
May 9th, 2017, 02:39 PM
Sorry to hear that.

Java
May 22nd, 2017, 08:38 AM
The adjuster just totaled the roofs on my house and garage, plus some other things like screens and downspouts. I also found that the cover to one of my camping boxes is definitely not hailproof.