PDA

View Full Version : Rock Creek - fallen trees on trail, ruled on clearing?

RockyMtRebel
May 26th, 2017, 08:12 AM
Hey folks, My son and I went up Rock Creek yesterday and were stopped early on by a couple of large fallen trees.

Whats the general rule regarding wheelers like us clearing the trail with a chainsaw? I was thinking about potentially going there today with a couple chainsaws and start clearing the fallen trees..... but I don't want to get in trouble if this is a no-no.

Anyone have any insight or suggestion on this?

thanks in advance!

Hypoid
May 26th, 2017, 08:27 AM
You won't get a ticket for clearing the trail. Be safe!

Java
May 26th, 2017, 08:45 AM
A lot of trails need that each year, the BLM actually recommends carrying a saw on some of their trail pages. Take pics!! :thumb:

newracer
May 26th, 2017, 10:39 AM
As already posted it is perfectly acceptable, the FS or BLM do not have the resources to clear them all, they depend on responsible users to help out.

GPP33
May 26th, 2017, 03:56 PM
How was the snow depth? Last Friday the trail was about 3' down.

ExplorerTom
May 26th, 2017, 08:29 PM
The Katana Boy bow saw is another good tool. Doesn't need gas or bar oil and doesn't need to be tuned for the elevation (the user might though). Takes up next to no space and doesn't leak.

Java
May 26th, 2017, 09:14 PM
The Katana Boy is pretty cool. I have just a regular metal bow saw in my Jeep, it's not ideal but it's better than no saw.

RockyMtRebel
May 26th, 2017, 09:24 PM
Well we didn't go today but we are planning to go early tomorrow and bringing a chainsaw.

The snow past past the fallen trees looked significant but it appeared doable. We will have shovels also, and of course straps and hooks (no winch unfortunately). I would love to blaze the trail and hope there aren't too many fallen trees (I suspect there are a lot)

Brad
May 26th, 2017, 09:26 PM
I only have a hand saw and axe. Planning on a katana boy.

ExplorerTom
May 26th, 2017, 09:29 PM
I had a regular bow saw. The teeth looked aggressive but it took a ton of work to cut through something. Brad used it.

The Katana Boy is like a hot knife through butter. Massive difference.

RockyMtRebel
May 27th, 2017, 06:43 AM
Dang it, got up to pouring rain this morning. Looks like project clear the trail is on hold....

GPP33
May 27th, 2017, 07:28 AM
Raining in Allens Park?

RockyMtRebel
May 27th, 2017, 07:38 AM
Yes, a steady light rain still..... if it clears up we will head out! The rain undoubtedly will help with melting the snow on the trail but my sons Jeep is topless so until it clears up we will be standing by. Might have to run to Parachute/mud hill for a little mud flinging in the RAM if it doesn't clear up ;)

GPP33
May 27th, 2017, 08:15 AM
Damn, that's not good for skiing :(

RockyMtRebel
May 27th, 2017, 08:19 AM
Skiing? What's that ;)

I'm heading out in the Ram, maybe do Dry St Vrain on this wet morning.....

Swank1975
May 27th, 2017, 10:55 AM
Good luck. In Centennial we just had about an hour of rain that just stopped.

Those professional hand saws are great for cutting branches or small trees.

FINOCJ
May 27th, 2017, 05:18 PM
Damn, that's not good for skiing :(

4 inches of snow came down on us today near loveland pass. It was snow above 10,000 ft, but most accumulation was above 12,000. Skiing was phenomenal today and there is lots of snow left above 11,000.

GPP33
May 28th, 2017, 09:13 PM
4 inches of snow came down on us today near loveland pass. It was snow above 10,000 ft, but most accumulation was above 12,000. Skiing was phenomenal today and there is lots of snow left above 11,000.

Skied Sullivan today up the Webster pass trail outside of Montezuma. Sooooo much snow and sooooo much fun! Looking forward to wheeling up there this summer but it can wait, I need more corn turns!