PDA

View Full Version : Walleye Fishing

dscowell
May 26th, 2017, 05:11 PM
I was hoping to go fishing for some Walleyes this summer but don't know a whole lot about how to catch them. Any advice or suggestions about tackle or where to look? I understand a lot of people troll for them and being that I don't have a boat or plan to buy one anytime soon that's kinda out of the discussion.

Swank1975
May 26th, 2017, 06:27 PM
I don't know how to fish and when I have tried have failed in boredom and no fish. With that said this might help?

http://www.aa-fishing.com/co/colorado-walleye-fishing.html

State Record Walleye came out of Stanley Lake. I would attribute that growth to the radiation. :)

Tom
May 26th, 2017, 06:29 PM
Where to look. Try MN lots of my wifes family live there and they love their Walleye. Brainard area.

dscowell
May 26th, 2017, 06:31 PM
Where to look. Try MN lots of my wifes family live there and they love their Walleye. Brainard area.

Haha thanks Tom. Should have been a little more clear, where to look in the lake for them. By rocks or tree cover is more what I was looking for.

Swank1975
May 26th, 2017, 06:36 PM
I grew up in N.W. Ohio and those people were nuts for walleye season in the Maumee river by Toledo, Ohio

It's too bad that water is all so poisoned by agriculture run off that I'd never eat them. ;)

Spieg
May 26th, 2017, 07:36 PM
Walleye are warm water predatory fish that like to ambush from below. They tend to sit close to bottom in fairly deep water trenches/structure and wait for a target. I've not caught many in Colorado but occasionally get one off the dam at Cherry Creek. Without a boat (or ice fishing), I think it's not easy to get close to them.

dscowell
May 26th, 2017, 07:43 PM
N.W. Ohio and those people were nuts for walleye season
In Montana fly fishing and Walleye fishing are both a big deal since there isn't a whole lot of other fish to catch. Same goes for some of the fish in Montana I wouldn't eat due to the mine run off.

They tend to sit close to bottom in fairly deep water trenches/structure and wait for a target.
Good to know.

jayson44
May 27th, 2017, 10:08 PM
go talk to the guys at Cabela's...they can get you what you need and help you with where to go.

mostly, Walleye like to feed on smaller bait fish like minnows, but they LOVE a juicey night crawler. we use bottom bouncers w/colored spinners (chartreuse is hard to beat, but get some different ones as they're fairly picky and if they're not hitting one color, they'll hit another with the same bait), or even just a tri-hook w/spinners on the top.

you can also pull plugs, but they're a little harder to figure out what they're biting on. that, and you'll need to know where they are (fish finder) and troll slow or drift.

Walleye are really fun to catch and put up a good fight. hope you have fun! I grew up fishing nothing by Walleye and Northern in South Dakota. unfortunately, I don't know many places around here other than Lake McConaughy in Nebraska.

J.

dscowell
May 28th, 2017, 08:52 PM
mostly, Walleye like to feed on smaller bait fish like minnows, but they LOVE a juicey night crawler. we use bottom bouncers w/colored spinners (chartreuse is hard to beat, but get some different ones as they're fairly picky and if they're not hitting one color, they'll hit another with the same bait), or even just a tri-hook w/spinners on the top.

you can also pull plugs, but they're a little harder to figure out what they're biting on. that, and you'll need to know where they are (fish finder) and troll slow or drift.

Walleye are really fun to catch and put up a good fight. hope you have fun! I grew up fishing nothing by Walleye and Northern in South Dakota. unfortunately, I don't know many places around here other than Lake McConaughy in Nebraska.

Good info thanks!

One of my moms Coworkers was saying he or one of his friends caught quite a few of them at Barr Lake. If you are looking for somewhere to fish for them that might be a good choice.