PDA

View Full Version : Miller Rock?

RockyMtRebel
May 27th, 2017, 07:45 AM
This trail is near me but I haven't checked it out yet. I'm a little nervous about taking my RAM here and have heard some scary stories....

anyone done this lately? From the trip reports I'm guessing the difficult and sketchy section is on a dead end spur that is avoidable by staying on the main route, but I'm guessing .... can anyone confirm?

if so, I definitely would like to run this - probably would like to avoid the difficult spur and definitely want to avoid the sketchy obstacle.

thoughts?

dscowell
May 27th, 2017, 09:34 AM
You are correct, the spur is at the end and is optional. The rest of the trail if I remember right isn't too bad.

Make sure you call the summer camp that has a gate at the end of the trail so they can have it open for you so that you can leave the correct way.

Tom
May 27th, 2017, 12:28 PM
you won't want to try the main obstacle going down to the creek. Everything else should be doable.

otisdog
May 28th, 2017, 04:04 AM
Once you go up the main trail there are several spurs that are dead ends and they all head down. Even if you get on the spur that has the nasty section it's not bad until you get to the tough obstacle. You will know it when you get there. Time to turn around.
If you go up the main trail and find Miller Rock and then go back out he same way you should be fine. But I would say this trail is not a good choice to do alone. If you go on down the trail past Miller Rock you come to a gate that is normally locked. It is another way out through a private camp but you have to arrange in advance to get the gate unlocked. Time to turn around.
Jim
Here's what the obstacle looks like from the bottom. You would be coming down like the Jeep in the picture.
http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y158/otisdog4/Mix/monica%2041.jpg

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y158/otisdog4/Mix/monica%2043.jpg
http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y158/otisdog4/Mix/monica%2042.jpg

Heather
May 28th, 2017, 07:05 AM
I was not a fan of that spur the first time I went. I've seen (been with on runs) a full-size Suburban go through there, and a full-sized K5 pickup. You could do it in your truck, if you really wanted to.
Not sure why my pix are a jumbled mess, sorry about that. The pic of the white Rubicon is an example of the soft roll-y side. If you flop, you might not just flop once - it might be a bit of a roll. It's steeper than my husband walking back up to the trail makes it look, and the edge is really squishy. The pic of Rob's FJ is taken from the bottom of it toward the top. The picture of the yellow JKU is from the top looking down to them coming back up after turning around at the end. Same with the silver JKU with the green fenders. It's a little nervy, and I wouldn't want to do it in the snow or mud, but otherwise (depending on personal comfort level) IMO it's ok.

Jim
May 31st, 2017, 07:26 PM
On the sketchy spur, you can park above/before the obstacle and walk down to the river / turn-around point if you wish to see the crossing (which can be crossed).

Nimble folks easily enough scramble to the top of Miller Rock.