PDA

View Full Version : Cross country ecj5 trip

FINOCJ
June 4th, 2017, 09:01 PM
So about a year ago, what looked like a nice deal on a good 1969 CJ5 V6 popped up on CL out in Dove Creek, CO (north or Cortez a bit). I posted it on the early cj5 forum that I am a member of, and before long another member showed a lot of interest. He already DD a 1966 CJ5a (Tux Park model with 4cyl) and used it to travel between his hometown in southern Indiana to South Bend where he is in college at ND - and apparently had had a hard time finding a good v6 cj5. I wasn't involved beyond that, but Mike and a classmate friend drove out in some family members old truck (that broke down in Canon City) to purchase the jeep and tow it back home. They had about 72hrs for the trip - he posted a bit as they went along and eventually got the jeep (and truck) back home. In the end, the jeep wasn't nearly as good as advertised (some last minute haggling got a little price reduction) - but its very original.

Anyway, he got it home, drove it up to ND where it promptly broke down. He did quite a bit of work over the winter getting it reliable, and is now taking it on a cross-country road trip from Indiana to Moab, then on to Zion, Grand Canyon and back. He and the same friend left on the trip a few days ago, and passed through Denver yesterday where I caught up with them on Sat night in Golden for some pizza at Woodys. They are towing an old Willy's pick-up bed trailer that carries some extra stuff as well as serves as a raised platform to sleep on top of. Although Mike and I had never met directly, he was happy to show me the jeep that I originally posted as well as check out mine (very similar 1970 CJ5 v6). After pizza and the golden car show (happy accident), I gave them an old set of 0.49 carb jets to help with the high elevation (they are under 500' in Indiana and run 0.51 - although they also have a set of 0.47 which would be good if they stay really high) and we installed them in the parking lot before they headed on their way up to Idaho Springs area to try and find some free dispersed camping up one of the dirt roads. I am not sure exactly where they ended up, but I suggested they either head up 103 to the south towards DC trail or up soda creek road toward BF and find a dirt road they could drive a short distance up.

Anyway - here is a bit of a thread they have posted a few updates - if nothing else I think their set-up is unique. It will be one of those trip both remember for a lifetime. I did a few of those in college as well - including a solo jeep trip to Vegas to meet some friends in late Aug. Driving through the res land in 115F temps in my old jeep, just sweating away stopping anywhere i could find a cold/ice drink and fuel. I carried a 5 gal fuel spare that was required in one long empty section.
http://www.earlycj5.com/xf_cj5/index.php?threads/jeep-trip.125564/

http://i1257.photobucket.com/albums/ii512/1967CJ5A/Mobile%20Uploads/20170603_140317_zpsuf9m9mp9.jpg