PDA

View Full Version : Black Bear pass advice

cornpone99
July 18th, 2017, 10:00 PM
I am starting to plan my trip to do Black Bear pass and Imogene pass.
I need areas to camp, Dispersed camping and any other must do trails
I'll be coming in to Ouray on a Saturday needing a place to camp,
Then Black Bear and Imgene
I have to drive back on Monday.
Is it possible to do any other trails and if so, what is another must do?
TIA
Chris

Chris
July 18th, 2017, 10:06 PM
Engineer Pass, Alpine Loop are right there to. I'd check to see if they're open though. The amount of snow may still block these trails. Since Buena Vista trails just opened I wonder about these too.

If you'll only be wheeling for a day stick to Black Bear & Imogene. That's a full day.

newracer
July 18th, 2017, 10:17 PM
When you are coming down Imogene you could run up Yankee Boy Basin. You will need to get an early start though.

Brian
July 18th, 2017, 10:57 PM
Good source to check on what's open:

http://bushducks.com/tripreps/passopen.htm

Terrafied
July 18th, 2017, 11:34 PM
This week and weekend are FJ Summit.. Might be a bit crowded on the trails. I just got a registration offer after being on the wait list for months but with only 3 days notice I decided not to go since I leave for Utah and California on the 28th.
Edit: I see you said a Saturday, not this Saturday.

jaybroncos30
July 19th, 2017, 05:50 AM
Engineer and Cinnamon were both open when I went back at the end of June. The only thing closed was Mineral Creek, meaning you can't go from the loop straight to Ouray. You had to come down Engineer and go towards Animus Forks and out the Silverton way (if you weren't looping back to Lake City). Mineral Creek is probably still closed, it was due to a rock slide, not snow.

Spieg
July 19th, 2017, 05:02 PM
If you are looking for more of a challenge, check out Poughkeepsie Gulch.

cornpone99
July 19th, 2017, 08:36 PM
Correct.
i am going first week in August.
i wouldn't plan a trip in 3 days

Chris
July 19th, 2017, 10:03 PM
If you are looking for more of a challenge, check out Poughkeepsie Gulch.

There's reason there are winch points embedded in the rock atop the gatekeeper!

coleman07
July 21st, 2017, 02:57 AM
I would make sure you have a partner on Black Bear and another jeep with a winch on Poughkeepsie Gulch. The youtube video's make it look much simpler than reality.
You have no room for error on the switchbacks so you need a spotter to get you to the edge before doing a 3 pt turn on the second switchback.

Spieg
July 21st, 2017, 12:54 PM
I won't tell you how many times I've soloed those trails... I guess it's a matter of perspective. For me, Blackbear is totally over rated (beautiful yes, but difficult not so much).

Chris
July 21st, 2017, 01:15 PM
I agree, I've run it in a downpour. The only catch that time was a Ranger was by the one way section and stopped me and asked about my experience. 2 minute conversation and I was on my way.

It's like Devil's Punchbowl, some people die and it becomes a "killer trail" even though it was human error that caused the deaths. Using that logic I-70 should be shut down.

Tom
July 21st, 2017, 04:45 PM
I won't tell you how many times I've soloed those trails... I guess it's a matter of perspective. For me, Blackbear is totally over rated (beautiful yes, but difficult not so much).
Agree not difficult, just have to pay attention and not make mistakes. Just don't try to keep up with the tour rigs. They drive it really fast.

cornpone99
July 29th, 2017, 09:42 PM
Well my trip is coming up.
has anyone camped on governor basin or yankee boy?