PDA

View Full Version : Sept 9th - Looking to do a FR Run

Eagle6
July 30th, 2017, 03:15 PM
My son has decided he wants to come visit this weekend and see some of Colorado. He would like to do a easy to moderate day run fairly close to Denver. I've run Barbour Fork 3 times now so I'm not really interested in doing that one again. But am looking to put together a run in the area with a couple of others.

September 9th would be the day. Front Range area is the target. Would at least like to have one or two other rigs along (don't like trail running by myself).

If there is any interest we can figure out what trail to run.

NOTE: My son does not have experience on anything to difficult, so I don't want to push it to far and not have him want to come back an visit. He is not one to push the excitement, but it needs to be more than just a forest road. Barbour Fork would have been good, just getting bored running it over and over again this year already.

Thanks.

Getaklu
July 30th, 2017, 03:41 PM
You might see about combining with Tom: http://www.frontrange4x4.com/forums/showthread.php?26006-Any-interest-in-an-early-to-mid-Sept-run-of

He is looking at the 9th or 16th.

PhillipG65
July 30th, 2017, 06:18 PM
I should be ready for a run by then, I'm in. Had a great time on the Pickle Gulch trails. But really up for any.

Jim
July 30th, 2017, 06:37 PM
Devil's Canyon, our other sponsored trail, offers lower difficulty (than Barbour Fork) and some nice views (nicer than Barbour).

Argentine Pass.

T-33a if there's interest in airplane wreckage.

Pole Hill - lower difficulty, some nice mountain views (over Estes Park).

PhillipG65
July 30th, 2017, 06:45 PM
All those sound great. Lets do em all...lol. I always enjoyed the sound of T-33, if it sounds good to eagle6?? I'd go

Jim
July 30th, 2017, 08:55 PM
T-33a has one section of zig-zag between trees that can test long wheelbase nice paint job vehicles. (as I recall) It would be good to have a second opinion on this.

PhillipG65
July 30th, 2017, 09:08 PM
Oh yeah, I remember you telling me that now. I had forgotten. But I know there is an abundance of trails just north of Blackhawk 'pickle gulch' and it's a ton o fun!!!! mostly easy but technical in crucial spots.....LOL. AN old log cabin, mining area, creek crossing, loose rock slide area, FUN FUN

Tom
July 30th, 2017, 09:45 PM
T-33a has one section of zig-zag between trees that can test long wheelbase nice paint job vehicles. (as I recall) It would be good to have a second opinion on this.I would agree with that Jim. And a bit rougher last year than before due to atvs.

xaza
July 30th, 2017, 10:11 PM
Wylie ran T-33 today and told me it is much more torn up than last time we went. He dragged his diffs 4 times and had some wheel stands today. Argentine and McClelland are great trails with amazing views at the top. That is where we took my family who came into town and wanted to get out. They are flatlanders from NE and they loved it.

PhillipG65
July 31st, 2017, 07:11 AM
Well with all that being said, lets narrow it down and with any trail you choose I most likely will be a YES to go.
Looking forward to a good hearty run

Eagle6
August 2nd, 2017, 03:08 PM
Thanks for all of the input guys. I had considered T33, But it sounds like it could be a bit problematic and probably won't get any better as we get a bit more rain.

So I'm thinking that either Argentine Pass or Devil's Canyon. I'm going to send my son links to vidios from TrailsOffRoad to both runs and ask him which he would like and see what he says. Personally, I'm leaning towards Argentine. If he only does one, might as well go high and over the divide.

I'll let you guys know what he come's up with as soon as I can.

Thanks again.

Tom
August 2nd, 2017, 03:11 PM
Thanks for all of the input guys. I had considered T33, But it sounds like it could be a bit problematic and probably won't get any better as we get a bit more rain.

So I'm thinking that either Argentine Pass or Devil's Canyon. I'm going to send my son links to vidios from TrailsOffRoad to both runs and ask him which he would like and see what he says. Personally, I'm leaning towards Argentine. If he only does one, might as well go high and over the divide.

I'll let you guys know what he come's up with as soon as I can.

Thanks again.you won't get over the divide on Argentine. The western side is a hiking trail.

Eagle6
August 2nd, 2017, 03:23 PM
But you can get to the top for the view and maybe eat there right?

Other suggestions? I just don't want to scare the crap out of the boy. I think he would be fine on Barbour, I've just run it 3 times already this summer. I want something else. And views would be nice.

xaza
August 2nd, 2017, 03:55 PM
Argentine and McClelland are both right together and can both be easily ran in a day and give you two tops with amazing views. No need to settle on just one. Too bad our work schedules are so messed up right now because I would love to make it out. I think my season is over before it even began. Yes there is room at the top of both to stop for lunch.

Tom
August 2nd, 2017, 04:15 PM
But you can get to the top for the view and maybe eat there right?

Other suggestions? I just don't want to scare the crap out of the boy. I think he would be fine on Barbour, I've just run it 3 times already this summer. I want something else. And views would be nice.
Yes you can get to the top. Love it there. Kingston Peak is another option.

dieseldoc
August 2nd, 2017, 06:42 PM
for what you seek to do, Argentine Pass is your best bang for buck, you have guanellna pass to warm him up, then the canyon.
the water crossings have been cleared of some debre as they are not near as deep.

Eagle6
August 3rd, 2017, 08:04 PM
OK guys let's set this up for Argentine Pass, Sept 9th. Can someone put it on the calendar please.

Recommendations on a meet up location and time. I'm guessing for most it is at least an 1.5 hour drive to get there. So probably not to early a start.