PDA

View Full Version : Caribou Trail

coolerthanafan
August 28th, 2017, 05:15 PM
Ran Caribou on 8/26/17. 2 stock 3rd gen 4Runners (one with a locker, one without). 3-5 rating is pretty accurate due to inclines getting muddy and the very narrow section in Eldora. A couple spots offered some nice 3 wheel action and 1 - 1.5 feet water. Scenery is gorgeous! There was some disagreement as to which end to start at as we ran in to 1 vehicle starting from Eldora (he had to reverse dow to let 5 down). The narrow section down into Eldora has NOWHERE to turn around or back up if you are going down hill. It would be nice to have a sign to tell people where to start. We ran from Nederland to Eldora and it was awesome until the traffic jam. Camping: there are designated, dispersed camping spots (beautiful ones).

cornpone99
August 29th, 2017, 10:01 PM
Its best to start in Eldora, as up hill technically has right of way.

coolerthanafan
August 30th, 2017, 08:48 AM
I always do my best to give up hill the right of way. However, being my first time on Caribou I searched and everything I found said to run it from Ned to Eldora. Would be nice to have something saying "start here". But I know people will do what they want and not always do what is easiest.
It was too dangerous to back up or try and give up hill the right of way.
Other than that it was a blast. I'll make sure to run it from Eldora from now on and let others know the same.

Vicolico
March 21st, 2018, 05:52 AM
Easiest way was taking Caribou road up to caribou city. From there you have access to all the trails and can skip the steep tight part of the trail.

KFM1961
May 7th, 2018, 07:58 PM
Would you recommend this in mid or late summer versus early summer? Or does it make a difference? Just curious about water depth and or snow in early season.

Vicolico
May 7th, 2018, 09:51 PM
Would you recommend this in mid or late summer versus early summer? Or does it make a difference? Just curious about water depth and or snow in early season.

I think it’s closed until early/mid June

Tom
May 8th, 2018, 04:47 PM
Snow will be melted before they open it. Mud at the North end may be a bit bigger early vs late season.

Java
August 17th, 2018, 07:56 AM
saw this near the north end / hiking trail yesterday

Mobyjeep
August 17th, 2018, 06:50 PM
That’s awesome!