PDA

View Full Version : Where are we going wheelin' this weekend?

RockyMtRebel
October 11th, 2017, 09:32 PM
I'll finally get to take the Jeep out this weekend, anyone going out? There looks to be snow at higher elevations, I'm thinking of staying in the Peak to Peak area.... haven't done a few still and wouldn't mind trying the harder trails now that I'm Jeepin' ;)

PhillipG65
October 12th, 2017, 05:25 AM
I'll finally get to take the Jeep out this weekend, anyone going out? There looks to be snow at higher elevations, I'm thinking of staying in the Peak to Peak area.... haven't done a few still and wouldn't mind trying the harder trails now that I'm Jeepin' ;)

My neighbor and I are going today, Thursday to Caribou. If where you choose to go isn't too far off from there I'd like to go for sure!!!

JandDGreens
October 12th, 2017, 06:46 AM
I wish I could to much work to catch up on this weekend.

Max
October 12th, 2017, 07:33 AM
I'm interested. How much snow is up there on the trails? Just curious. It's been pretty warm down here.

open_circuit
October 12th, 2017, 08:01 AM
I might be interested on Sunday

RockyMtRebel
October 12th, 2017, 09:57 AM
I don't know how much snow is on the trails, but My place (8500 feet elevation) got about 5" but is mostly gone now.

Java
October 12th, 2017, 10:56 AM
I'm a strong maybe for Sunday, do you have a trail in mind?

RockyMtRebel
October 12th, 2017, 11:21 AM
Sunday works for me..... not sure what to run, open to suggestions ;)

newracer
October 12th, 2017, 11:29 AM
I might go up to Kelly Flats Sunday morning.

redneck23ms
October 12th, 2017, 12:25 PM
I'll be at moody saturday for the woods run. Mike are you scouting the chutes are sunday or just going to ride?

newracer
October 12th, 2017, 01:53 PM
I was going to check on that user created route you told me about at the beginning of the trail and possibly scout for new routes by The Chutes. Kind of depends on weather.

RockyMtRebel
October 12th, 2017, 06:58 PM
I have not done Miller Rock yet, and would like to if anyone else wants to join. I'll call the ranch ahead of time to ask them to leave the gate unlocked, if we decide on this route. It's supposed to have a challenging section but the Jeep should handle it.
Since this route isn't super long, we could combine another close by route like T33A plane crash afterwards.... Philip your welcome to jump into my Jeep for the tough sections ;)

RockyMtRebel
October 12th, 2017, 07:01 PM
I did a mini-shake down run up Parachute Hill this evening to feel the new-to-me Rubicon out and it felt good. So different than the RAM ;)

I didn't get a chance to play with it since Inwas traveling for work all last week! I need a winch and some rock sliders but other than that I think I'm all set for a while....

dscowell
October 12th, 2017, 07:13 PM
I have not done Miller Rock yet

Make sure you call the camp that owns the gate on the end of the trail so they can open it for you so you don't have to turn around on the trail.

RockyMtRebel
October 12th, 2017, 07:17 PM
Alright here's the route I'm proposing, Miller Rock. Let's meet at the second turn off for Raymond on Hwy 7 at 8:30am. Here's the link to the route:
https://www.alltrails.com/trail/us/colorado/miller-rock-4x4-trail

Who's interested in doing this and if time permits we can do T33A plane crash or something else nearby afterwards!

I know Chris (compone) is in, who else?

RockyMtRebel
October 12th, 2017, 07:18 PM
Make sure you call the camp that owns the gate on the end of the trail so they can open it for you so you don't have to turn around on the trail.

Absolutely!!!

PhillipG65
October 12th, 2017, 07:49 PM
I have not done Miller Rock yet, and would like to if anyone else wants to join. I'll call the ranch ahead of time to ask them to leave the gate unlocked, if we decide on this route. It's supposed to have a challenging section but the Jeep should handle it.
Since this route isn't super long, we could combine another close by route like T33A plane crash afterwards.... Philip your welcome to jump into my Jeep for the tough sections ;)

It's not the tough spots, the elephant does really great through the areas most people think it can't go. It's the drive to the trail usually for me. I beat down my body when I was younger and now I need to stop about every 45 min to an hour otherwise I can't walk by the time I get to destination. And the pain eish never thought I'd feel this kind of pain... the kind that puts a man on the floor. Sucks getting older !!!
I do appreciate your offer Matt !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:thumb:

cornpone99
October 12th, 2017, 07:55 PM
I'm in. It's now on the calendar

RockyMtRebel
October 12th, 2017, 07:59 PM
^^Awesome^^

RockyMtRebel
October 13th, 2017, 07:12 AM
I'll call the ranch today to request that they leave the gate unlocked

RockyMtRebel
October 13th, 2017, 11:03 AM
The Glacier View Ranch said they will leave the gate unlocked for us on Sunday! Very nice people ;)

Heather
October 13th, 2017, 01:09 PM
Oooh, I might be able to join you guys, depending on how tomorrow pans out. Also, YOU GOT A JEEP!!! Congrats!!!

Swank1975
October 15th, 2017, 04:32 PM
I wanted to come out for this trip today but I'm still shaking down and tuning the Rover. It's running much better now. I tweaked the timing again and it's running stronger than ever. I'm very happy with it. Didn't want to ruin that by breaking down. :)

RockyMtRebel
October 16th, 2017, 04:09 PM
I used to have a '91 Range Rover, loved it. Took it around Nederland area routes all the time when my kids were little and we lived near Ned.

I learned a lot about driving my new 2004 Rubicon, the gearing is very low (or high) and shifting is going to take a little getting used to. Most of the time I can shift smoothly but occasionally I would end up rocking the Jeep all over the place with a poor shift and throttle control. The throttle is very touchy in the crawling gears and I need to learn to control it better --- Jim, you had that awesome hand controlled throttle on your Jeep. I think something like that is in order as I found myself not keeping the throttle even/smooth especially when my foot was getting tired from driving.

Jim
October 16th, 2017, 05:48 PM
Jim, you had that awesome hand controlled throttle on your Jeep.

A great improvement for low cost - time and materials:
1 Friction (not the detent style) "shifter" control from a bicycle - loop band to connect to the jeep's shift lever *
1 Bicycle cable - long enough *
1 Cable ferrule / adjuster for the carb end *
1 Electrical "eye" crimp for the carb end

* local bike shop - used parts section (cable might be new parts)

www.JimWilliamson.net/automobile/2012-08-06--hand-throttle/ (http://www.jimwilliamson.net/automobile/2012-08-06--hand-throttle/index.html)