Eagle6
October 19th, 2017, 01:44 PM
But it's not a JEEP.

Swank1975
October 19th, 2017, 01:58 PM
Isn't that a good thing? ;)

FINOCJ
October 19th, 2017, 02:07 PM
Its good to see a smaller and capable 4x4 other than a jeep - probably be closer to a Tacoma/4runner in size but those don't have much competition these days. I like jeeps but seems like there ain't nothing but 4 door jks on the trails these days!

dscowell
October 19th, 2017, 02:34 PM
Its good to see a smaller and capable 4x4 other than a jeep - probably be closer to a Tacoma/4runner in size but those don't have much competition these days. I like jeeps but seems like there ain't nothing but 4 door jks on the trails these days!

Agreed. Competition is good.

I'd maybe interested in one once I have the money...

RockyMtRebel
October 19th, 2017, 02:41 PM
That's not the kind of wheelin' I'm into though..... I like crawling along, flying thru trails like that is not happening on our trails for the most part. Looks like a great desert/baja cruiser but it didn't appear to be much of a Wranger competitor from the looks of that video. I'll keep my Ram & Rubicon instead ;)

Getaklu
October 19th, 2017, 03:56 PM
I thought Chevy offered a hopped up Colorado in the last year or so as well? Ford may price itself too high as they do (and can) with their 150 Raptor. I don't think either of them would take the state trails by storm.

Chris
October 19th, 2017, 05:08 PM
$40k+ I’ll pass.

Honestly I’ve been passing on new vehicles since they passed $12k.

Jim
October 19th, 2017, 06:45 PM
$40k+ I’ll pass.

Honestly I’ve been passing on new vehicles since they passed $12k.

Agree.

They are consumable expenses (not "investments).

The off-lease / used market, imo, is a good value.

FINOCJ
October 19th, 2017, 07:04 PM
Agree.

They are consumable expenses (not "investments).

The off-lease / used market, imo, is a good value.

No argument there - but maybe in 5-10 years these things will appear as good used ones that can be built up a bit. Was looking at XJs a bit recently - wow its been over 15 years since the last new one rolled off the factory line. There just isn't much out there for wheeling rigs to me outside of YJ/TJ/JK. Some of the early generation tacomas and I do like the new 4runner (can't afford it but like it). Maybe some used FJcruisers will start coming around for reasonable price, but since production stopped a few years ago, guessing they won't be discounted used much.

Eagle6
October 20th, 2017, 05:54 PM
Well if that was a built off the showroom floor vehicle, I'll consider selling my Jeep (no), dog (no), wife (no), kids (maybe). Closed test course with most likely a prepared trail. I.E. lots of dust bowls for video effects. The dash set up I've only seen in long distance trail racers. I've never seen it offered in any stock or upgraded lot vehicle. The engine, drive train and maybe even the suspension might (and I say might) be the purchaseable upgrade, but I would not bet on that. These promo videos tend to be modified enough to demonstrate some real capability, but at the same time not what you can buy for the$40-60K.

As for the type of trail running. There is a circuit race in the Mojave (in CA) that this would run on, probably Baja and there are probably a couple of others around the country.

But, I'm not sure that this video was even shot in the US. Looking at the color of the dirt, the type of vegetation, it sure reminds me of some areas in South Africa. I'm probably wrong here, but just saying.

This vehicle was built for what it did in the video. So either you are buying way more than you will ever use, or you are very limited on where you are going to use it.

As for what I've seen here in Colorado, which I'll admit has not be much yet, if they drive like that here, the are either going to kill themselves or someone else. Which is why it was a closed course with a professional driver.

dieseldoc
October 24th, 2017, 09:46 PM
Video was shot in Australia, the big rock is a give a way.....don't remember it's name but it's a tourist trap....

As for the truck....mmmm no
We still don't have the Ranger here, coming but not here yet.
To really have something to compete with jeep, Toyota would have to do solid front axles again.
Toyota really would be the only real competition for the Wrangler.
Ford could if the brought the Bronco back with a real front axle.
But still a Ford......

Java
October 24th, 2017, 10:00 PM
the video starts with big letters saying The Australian Outback...

Jim
October 24th, 2017, 10:15 PM
The Australian Outback...

Danged subliminal junk getting in the way of trucks n stuff :lmao: