PDA

View Full Version : Wanna replace control arms on Jeep Rubicon TJ

RockyMtRebel
October 26th, 2017, 03:07 PM
Curious if anyone here would be able to help me replace all 8 control arms and rear drive shaft (easy) so I can angle the rear pinion and remove transfer case drop. Control arms appear to be stock and in need of replacing, and I'm planning on purchasing the Currie Enterprise adjustable control arm set. Probably would replace front and rear track bars also, if suggested..... springs and shocks are relatively new so I'll leave those for now.

This work "appears" to be relatively straight forward but I've never done any suspension work before other than replacing sway bar links & I found a loose front lower control arm bolt the other day and tightened it down, which got rid of a horrible knocking when going over the rough roads..... but other than this I don't have the tools or know-how to change out suspension parts and would love some help.

I figured some of y'all are Jeep experts and have lots of tools and I would be happy to bring beer and pizza ..... or even pay $$$$ for help versus paying a shop way too much to do half-ass work (seems to be my experience with any shop these days).

Just throwing it out there, anyone?

PhillipG65
October 26th, 2017, 03:24 PM
Well I have a neighbor mechanic who would love to work on a Rubi
However, he is my neighbor down here in Denver
His price is normally very low and even haggle at that
He is very good just wouldn't let him work on the engine

jayson44
October 27th, 2017, 01:36 PM
start now: spray all the bolts with PB Blaster. seriously, start now. this is an "easy install" job, but only if all the bolts come out! otherwise you'll be in for a good 6-8 hours. ask me how I know. :)

J.

RockyMtRebel
October 27th, 2017, 01:59 PM
I was thinking the same thing, because I already noticed a few of the control arm bolts are a bit rusty

Max
October 27th, 2017, 03:03 PM
What kind of pizza are we talking about here? Drinks too? ;-D

RockyMtRebel
October 27th, 2017, 05:04 PM
Any pizza requested: Dominoes, Protos, even frozen if preferred;)

And drinks too!!

RockyMtRebel
October 28th, 2017, 09:36 AM
In an effort to save $ I'm thinking about starting by doing just the rear control arms and a cv driveshaft to allow me to get rid of the 1.5" transfer case pan spacers. I could always do fronts at a different time, front arms aren't looking too bad currently & this would save me a good amount of $$.

would also make the job shorter than doing all control arms ;)

i havent ordered any parts yet but will soon

RockyMtRebel
October 28th, 2017, 09:52 AM
Here's what I'm going with, Colorado company and apparently bomb-proof! The best part is uppers and lowers are adjustable and can be adjusted without having to unbolt the arm.

I blasted all the rear rear bolts this morning and will continue to keep them lubed up so they unbolt without issues.

Im not very familiar with track bars but perhaps I should replace the original also, anyone suggest this?

redneck23ms
October 28th, 2017, 10:26 AM
if it still has the stock trackbars i would reccomend replacing at least the front. i'd go with one that uses a bracket and some type of heim of flex joint on the frame side instead of the tie rod end type of joint.

Kurtis
October 28th, 2017, 05:18 PM
Well if you're looking for a good shop in town I recommended the TJ shop anything I can't do myself he does. He really does good work he's really good and aligning jeeps, telling you what you need done to make it work really well and he's got a belly up kit that I'll bring it to 1 inch drop on your transmission and transfer case I just had it done on my jeep.

Heather
October 28th, 2017, 10:00 PM
Rokmen is awesome! I had Rokmen armor on my first Jeep, an '03 TJ, and my husband had their mid-arms on his last JKU. Jeff and Dave are super good guys, too.

jayson44
October 28th, 2017, 10:12 PM
Well if you're looking for a good shop in town I recommended the TJ shop anything I can't do myself he does.

this. Justin is very knowledgeable and a super nice guy. very responsive to inquiry as well. he did the 8.8, gears, and trans swap in my TJ for the previous owner, and I've never had an issue. I took it to him for a trackbar upgrade and some wiring and it was done quick & professional.

J.

dieseldoc
October 29th, 2017, 10:20 AM
Rockman parts are nice. Good quality.
I used core4x4 out of Utah.
I had the cheep set all 8 for like 600.
There upgrades are nice to can be done budget style.

You could handle this I believe.
Most these kits have detailed information about length and stuff to be sure it's the right angles.
I would help out but am still working in Aspen.

The drive shaft is easy and you just need to push it out the way.
You don't need to do any mods there. Rubis have the goodies from the factory.

The skid is the big issue.
It's not light and they are just a PITA