PDA

View Full Version : Nov 18-22 Moab?

FINOCJ
October 29th, 2017, 06:40 PM
Thinking about a trip out to the western slope or Moab in later November (18-22). Could include a multiday trip along one of the dirt routes from Colo to Utah, or just a few nights in Moab running some local trails. I have camped out there a bunch at this time of year - it can be really nice or it can be pretty darn cold. Obviously if it snows or gets icy, then some of the trails are out, but there is usually something good - just have to be a bit flexible. Crowds are non-existent which is nice. Its a good time of year if you have a camper of some sort, but I don't (well, not that I can bring and still tow the Jeep). If its just spending a few nights in Moab, might consider a motel. Post-up if you are interested in anything of the sort...

open_circuit
October 30th, 2017, 08:07 AM
Sounds like a good idea. Will check feasibility with work & wife.

FINOCJ
October 30th, 2017, 10:21 AM
Sounds good - I hope we can get something together. My wife is stuck working the few days before Thanksgiving so she probably won't make make it unless its just a sat-sun trip. I am hoping to stay out for an extra day or two as I don't have to work.

open_circuit
October 30th, 2017, 10:29 AM
My wife would not be able to go, also. She is having corrective vision surgery the week prior. Would likely just be me. Also, I am poorly equipped for cold weather camping. Most everything I own is rated for >40F.

Java
October 30th, 2017, 10:46 AM
I may be there the 16th - 20th, haven't finalized plans yet but will be camping at a nice motel for sure. :lmao: I'll watch this, maybe meet up for a trail or two. :thumb:

FINOCJ
October 30th, 2017, 02:00 PM
Awesome!

open_circuit
October 31st, 2017, 11:57 AM
Looks like I should be able to go. Never been to Moab before, so I only vaguely know what I'm in for!

Jim
October 31st, 2017, 01:09 PM
Never been to Moab before, so I only vaguely know what I'm in for!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vQLNS3HWfCM

And then some!

open_circuit
October 31st, 2017, 01:13 PM
I've seen plenty of videos -- enough to know there are quite a few famous features I have no interest in attempting. Devil's bathtub?

FINOCJ
October 31st, 2017, 02:53 PM
Mickey's Hot-tub is the one I think you are thinking of. I won't run it either! Although i would consider running Hells Revenge and just skipping a couple of the optional and challenging obstacles like the hot tub. Lets see if we can figure this out. I am debating tent vs motel assuming we are in Moab - might depend on price and availability.

I have an old copy of the Wells guidebook - the new one is nice and includes a few different trails but not all of the old ones. Be great to get a list of trails people are interested in and the level of challenge. I will propose Hells Revenge but with expectation to bypass the couple of challenging obstacles. Fins n Things is classic and am always good to run that. Be happy to run some stuff to the west of Moab that I have explored yet. I'll do a little more research and refresh my memory and post up a couple on my list to do.

FINOCJ
October 31st, 2017, 07:20 PM
Some trails on my list that might be interesting:
Tower Arch - this is pretty easy and just north of Arches NP. Can access via Klondike Bluffs trail which I have run and really like.
Gemini Brdiges is a classic easy 'dirt road' but is very scenic and provides access to lots of other trails. If combined with some of the moderate trails like Four Arches, Bull Canyon, Dry Fork Bull Canyon it can make a nice day.
For harder trails:
Sevenmile Rim would be interesting - never run it.
Fins N Things is classic - have run it but always willing to run it again.
Hells Revenge - another classic which I have not run
Porcupine Rim which is out east of Fins N THings - have not run this either.

Just some to start thinking about...

Eagle6
October 31st, 2017, 10:25 PM
Dang, would have been great. But I'm heading to the Superstition Mountains and the Hammers on the 17th and then to visit the family for T-day. Maybe next time.

open_circuit
November 1st, 2017, 08:06 AM
The iconic Moab photos are all from Porcupine Rim, if I recall correctly. I see it on your list of harder trails, so I should probably research before agreeing to attempt it. I think it'd be great to get to the canyon rim, if it is a reasonable trail.

FINOCJ
November 1st, 2017, 08:55 AM
Porcupine falls on the easier side of difficult trails - meaning that a good stock off road jeep should be able to do it with some careful line choice. But from where its located to the east of Hells and Fins, I don't think it has good overlook of Moab. You might be thinking of the Moab Rim trail just to the west of Moab which is much more difficult.

Java
November 1st, 2017, 09:11 AM
up Gemini Bridges from Moab and back down via Long Canyon is an awesome loop for any rig, I think Long Canyon is one of the prettiest trails in Moab. :thumb: Another fun thing is to run Fins and Things and then hike Negro Bill canyon, you can see the natural bridge from above and below that way, just like Gemini Bridges and Bull canyon. :thumb:

open_circuit
November 2nd, 2017, 08:12 AM
I have the 3rd edition of the Wells book arriving today. I can take a look at your suggested trails tonight.

I think I'm going to find a motel in Moab for my stay. What do you plan to do, camp or motel?

FINOCJ
November 2nd, 2017, 09:02 AM
Great - the new Wells book has more options than my old one (1st edition) so that may provide some additional choices. At least in the 1st edition, the easy trails are really dirt roads and the moderate trails are pretty mellow 4x4 (low slung stock 4x4 passable). But the difficulty ramps up pretty quick as you get to the upper end moderate trails and low end difficult trails. See what you think you are comfortable with.

Going to start with motel investigation tonight and see what prices look like...I might try to drive west on Fri (11/17) after work and camp somewhere free (BLM) along the way. That would give an a full day on sat overlapping with Paul and would save one night of motel expense. So probably looking for motel on Sat and Sun night and maybe Mon night as well. When would you be heading back to Denver? I could stay all the way until Wed...but thinking Sat-Mon for wheeling and then maybe something on Tues morning (maybe even MTBing if its just me solo) before heading home Tues afternoon. At the same time, if people are there with jeeps (or whatever 4x4) then I am happy to maximize wheeling. I get to Moab a lot, but not all that often with the old CJ, and there are just so many trails!

open_circuit
November 2nd, 2017, 09:10 AM
I can't get on the road until Sat morning, most likely, so I'd be there sometime after lunch on Saturday (6 hour drive?).

I've been wanting to get out to Moab with my mountain bike for years, though I haven't really ridden since moving to CO last year, so I'm out of shape and practice now. I don't want to haul the bike just to look at it, though. If you want to ride one or two days, maybe we can find time for that along with wheeling.

I am good coming back Tues or Weds. We have no special Thanksgiving plans, and I consider the week a loss for work if I don't come back on Monday. I think I should stay out there a few days to explore, so Monday is too soon to return with Saturday arrival.

I saw motels for ~$50 a night earlier this week, or nicer hotels for $85-ish. Can consider splitting a room if trying to go for ultra low expense and it's just two of us.

RockyMtRebel
November 2nd, 2017, 09:23 AM
Bring your mountain bikes & definitely explore the area for a few days! It is absolutely an amazing place and you can really only see a small part of it in a day. Some of my favorites include:

Fins & Things (in the same area as a lot of other cool off-road, mt. biking, beautifully scenic rock formations)
Onion Creek & Castle Valley (30 minutes east of Moab, amazing rock formations, canyons & easy dirt roads to explore)
Gemini Bridges area (north of Moab about 15 minutes and in the same area as some challenging 4x4 trails and lots of Arches)
* I haven't even explored the southern area yet but can't wait to do Lockhart Basin and other areas in and around Canyonlands NP.

The entire area is magical, and hotels should be cheap since its off-season.

Wish I could join you guys, have fun!

FINOCJ
November 2nd, 2017, 11:14 AM
I can't get on the road until Sat morning, most likely, so I'd be there sometime after lunch on Saturday (6 hour drive?).

I've been wanting to get out to Moab with my mountain bike for years, though I haven't really ridden since moving to CO last year, so I'm out of shape and practice now. I don't want to haul the bike just to look at it, though. If you want to ride one or two days, maybe we can find time for that along with wheeling.

I am good coming back Tues or Weds. We have no special Thanksgiving plans, and I consider the week a loss for work if I don't come back on Monday. I think I should stay out there a few days to explore, so Monday is too soon to return with Saturday arrival.

I saw motels for ~$50 a night earlier this week, or nicer hotels for $85-ish. Can consider splitting a room if trying to go for ultra low expense and it's just two of us.

I'd plan on 6hr drive - can be done in 5-5.5hrs if you push it. I'll see what Paul is doing with regard to Sat. and if I leave Fri evening. It takes me some extra time to drive as i will be flat towing the jeep and have to keep it at reasonable speed. Its getting dark early this time of year - but it will be light out an hour later there than here (but it will be dark by 6pm). I'll definitely plan on staying all day Tues - that would guarantee 3 full days (Sun-Tues) and as much of Sat as can be used.

open_circuit
November 2nd, 2017, 08:04 PM
Some trails on my list that might be interesting:
Tower Arch - this is pretty easy and just north of Arches NP. Can access via Klondike Bluffs trail which I have run and really like.
Gemini Brdiges is a classic easy 'dirt road' but is very scenic and provides access to lots of other trails. If combined with some of the moderate trails like Four Arches, Bull Canyon, Dry Fork Bull Canyon it can make a nice day.
For harder trails:
Sevenmile Rim would be interesting - never run it.
Fins N Things is classic - have run it but always willing to run it again.
Hells Revenge - another classic which I have not run
Porcupine Rim which is out east of Fins N THings - have not run this either.

Just some to start thinking about...

I think some of these trails might have different names in the 3rd edition of the book. I don't see the following listed:

Klondike Bluffs
Four Arches
Dry Fork Bull Canyon (part of Bull Canyon or separate?)
Porcupine Rim

FINOCJ
November 2nd, 2017, 10:38 PM
The trails he includes has changed a bit. Find some you think look good and post up. Glad to hear you have room reservations. I did some research tonight - waiting to hear back from a couple places and should finalize bookings tomorrow.

FINOCJ
November 5th, 2017, 07:47 PM
It looks like I am going to try camping it in the cold at Moab Valley RV Resort - it won't be as nice as being out on Sand Flats area, but they have hot showers and an inside 'commons' area if needed. I have plenty of gear from my winter camping and snow trips. There is a hostel in Moab, but it looks a bit rough, even for dirtbag like me who has used hostels quite a bit over the years. Looking forward to this trip - going to swap out to one jet size larger on the carb as I am jetted for the high elevations in the mountains, and Moab is only 4000'. I should be able to then keep those jets in all winter while driving around Denver etc. Next summer will have to swap back to the small 47s for high elevation trips.

Are we finding any other takers to join in?

Tom
November 6th, 2017, 12:01 PM
It looks like I am going to try camping it in the cold at Moab Valley RV Resort - it won't be as nice as being out on Sand Flats area, but they have hot showers and an inside 'commons' area if needed. I have plenty of gear from my winter camping and snow trips. There is a hostel in Moab, but it looks a bit rough, even for dirtbag like me who has used hostels quite a bit over the years. Looking forward to this trip - going to swap out to one jet size larger on the carb as I am jetted for the high elevations in the mountains, and Moab is only 4000'. I should be able to then keep those jets in all winter while driving around Denver etc. Next summer will have to swap back to the small 47s for high elevation trips.

Are we finding any other takers to join in?

I have stayed at the hostel twice. Never again.

FINOCJ
November 6th, 2017, 12:34 PM
Yea - There was a recent review from a couple months ago that indicated a bed bug infestation. From the photos and reviews of the Lizard hostel, I would rather spend twice as much, sleep on the ground and freeze my butt off! In the summer, if we aren't BLM camping or staying in Green River SP, we stay at ACT campround and hostel. Its not a true hostel, but it does have some cheap bunk rooms and its super clean with a big kitchen and commons room. Full of lots of the Cruise America European tourists, but makes for a friendly and good environment. Unfortunately, they close for the season in mid November til March.

FINOCJ
November 10th, 2017, 08:12 AM
Trent and I are going to Moab 11/18-21. He has a motel room - I am camping. Be happy to have more join in. Specific trail runs are TBD based on interest and weather but guessing we'll keep it to the moderate trails and maybe a couple of the low end difficult trails like Fins etc.

FINOCJ
November 11th, 2017, 04:46 PM
Paul - you mentioned earlier that you might be around Moab this coming weekend. Still think you are gonna be there?
Trent - lets meet up on sat. PM coming.

FINOCJ
November 18th, 2017, 09:26 PM
Well, I am in Moab...but my jeep isn't. Had a new one happened today. Jeep broke while it wasn't even being used! I was flat-towing along I70 from Denver to Moab. At the second gas stop in Grand Junction area, I notice a bunch of coolant collecting below the jeep. Can't see anything obvious - probably in core - but its leaking down and/or out along the bottom of the joint between the side end cap of the radiator and the fins on the drivers side. Guess it'd been dripping out for a bit as it left a nice amount of coolant along the underside of the jeep. It was enough to make a 6-8 inch puddle in a couple minutes - almost a drip per second. Of course these radiators don't grow on trees and finding an old school radiator shop that can solder it up correctly are not common - and certainly not open on sat or sun. Even if they get it on Monday, its probably a couple days before I get it back. Everyone in the area recommended a local shop - but the place is closed on weekends and owner is out of town for weekend. So I left the radiator (and jeep) at a nearby repair shop that knows the radiator shop and will take it over to him on Monday . I continued on to Moab after wasting most of the day spreading coolant around on the ground and hope to pick the radiator and jeep back up on Wed as I head back home.

Caught up with Trent (opencircuit) in Moab for a bite to eat. Was hoping to get for a bit of fun today but that didn't happen, and going to have to keep it a bit more mellow now. But at least I have a Taco TRD to drive and while its my DD and can't get too beat-up - we can still have a good time. A good reason to explore some easier trails in scenic areas that I wouldn't normally be as interested in driving in the old cj. Although its speechlessly frustrating to not have my jeep for a wheeling trip - at least the trip isn't totally wasted as I have a good vehicle to drive that is 4wd, and in reality, taking care of the problem is much easier when you have a second vehicle to get around in and I am not stuck with my jeep for 4 days. And I didn't overheat or damage the engine - which I could have happened if it broke loose while I was driving it and not paying close attention to the temp gauge. Trying to find the positive side...well, its getting near freezing around here and its time either have another beer before it freezes or get in the tent and sleeping bag. Cheers!

Getaklu
November 18th, 2017, 09:37 PM
Cheers to you, sorry to hear of the problems but keep the good attitude. Grab another beer and maybe a shot to keep warm, hit the bed and enjoy the trails over the next few days.