PDA

View Full Version : Anyone wheelin' this weekend?

RockyMtRebel
October 31st, 2017, 03:24 PM
I know 4 Mile is posted but I'm probably doing something closer to home - maybe Gordon Gulch and/or Rainbow Lakes - Caribou. Just throwing it out there in case anyone wants to stick closer to the front range

Tom
November 1st, 2017, 06:25 PM
Might be up for the N end of Pierson followed by Johnny Park one day. Don’t know which day. My sister and Nephew are coming over for a visit. Will depend on which day they decide.

FINOCJ
November 1st, 2017, 09:38 PM
Keeping an eye on this. Will probably be MTBing one day with wife...might be looking to take the jeep out the other day.

dieseldoc
November 1st, 2017, 09:55 PM
So we can wheel Sunday......

RockyMtRebel
November 2nd, 2017, 08:06 AM
Sundays are usually best for me, although weather looks better for Saturday. That being said I don't mind wheelin' in the snow at all ;)

Heather
November 2nd, 2017, 10:32 AM
I maaayyyy be in for Sunday wheeling Caribou, if that's where it winds up. Will keep an eye out.

James, if you don't mind me asking, where are you guys MTBing? Curious because I'm pretty limited in my knowledge (and overwhelmed, with all the MTB groups on FB) of areas beyond Coalton and Erie, and would like to find a couple green/blue places closer to home than Buff Creek and the one by Red Rocks, and plus, always interested in hearing other Jeepers that MTB (or hike!), and where they go/like, regardless of where.

RockyMtRebel
November 2nd, 2017, 10:40 AM
What is MTB??

Heather
November 2nd, 2017, 11:00 AM
MTB =

FINOCJ
November 2nd, 2017, 11:05 AM
MTB is mountain biking. You already mentioned my favorite place - Buffalo Creek area. I really like cruisy trails that don't get too technical. Steep is okay as long as its smoothish. Its getting a bit cold up there at higher elevations at this time of year so we get forced down closer to denver. I really like Centennial Cone - but don't start at the Mayhem gulch trailhead as that is a brutal climb up to the loop. Start at one of the higher trailheads up around towards Blackhawk or on the north side past Golden Gate canyon. We just got back from a trip to Fruita last weekend - best place to bike to me at this time of year! Of course its not close.

Stuff that is close to me on the southish side of Denver include Hidden Mesa east of Castle Rock - they built a new flow trail there that is fun as well as the original trail which is smooth and fast with a few technical rock ledge spots that you can hang out and play around on (its a bit short for a weekend ride). My wife loves south table mountain - but its pretty short and small. Good for a quickie. In general I don't love any of the front range open space parks as they are very steep and technical to get up to the good stuff. Some of them have a trailhead on the upper end, and that can be a lot better (White Ranch would be a good example). Doudy Draw is a good one near you in Westminster - it gets very crowded and now its limited pay parking I think due to overcrowding.

I don't know where we are going this weekend - thinking sat if the weather is better. I'd love to go up to Buff Creek but don't want to be freezing. Guessing Centennial Cone for a longer ride is weather is warm enough, or we might head a bit south to Hidden mesa (kind of short for a weekend ride) or go all the way down to the Springs/Monument/AFA area and explore something new - got a few trails on my list to do down there that I have never done. I have a great guidebook that I will post when I get home.

FINOCJ
November 2nd, 2017, 11:07 AM
I maaayyyy be in for Sunday wheeling Caribou, if that's where it winds up. Will keep an eye out.

This is kind of what I am thinking as well...

Heather
November 2nd, 2017, 11:30 AM
I really like cruisy trails that don't get too technical. Steep is okay as long as its smoothish.

^ THIS! Falling hurts so much more at this age; I'd love to avoid it if at all possible. Thank you for the info!! I will look into some of those places. We have Jeep/biking friends that just moved to Grand Junction - I'm sooooo eager to ride in Fruita (in conjunction with visiting them). Also want to check out the Kokopelli Trail. I love MTB in Moab (easy stuff), but it's too far and too expensive to do on the regular. Will be hopefully doing "Coalton" (not sure what it's called? That's the trailhead name, off of McCaslin in Superior?) this weekend - 18 mile loop, and super easy/pretty; can be made longer by crossing 93 and heading West.

Thanks again!!

PhillipG65
November 2nd, 2017, 12:19 PM
My buddies and I used to to three sister's open space park in Evergreen, a good mix of single track.
Also Golden Gate park just north of Golden but at the foot of a serious downhill which is smooth but at the top is a-lot of really fun trails
We went occasionally to Bear Valley for more mellow stuff, just east of Morrison then we'd ride into Morrison for some grub, good times

FINOCJ
November 2nd, 2017, 01:14 PM
Three sisters is good - pretty high elevation and getting cold and snowy this time year.

JandDGreens
November 2nd, 2017, 02:04 PM
I used to go up and ride several open space parks back in the day. I always went on Mondays as going on the weekend is really a waste of time, the parks are overrun on the week ends. Mnt. Falcon, Rynolds, Elk meadows, Three sisters. They were all pretty good at the time, But like someone said pretty step and some what technical. 3-sisters is probably the most worth while (when it's not crawling with people.

PhillipG65
November 3rd, 2017, 09:07 AM
I know 4 Mile is posted but I'm probably doing something closer to home - maybe Gordon Gulch and/or Rainbow Lakes - Caribou. Just throwing it out there in case anyone wants to stick closer to the front range

I took a financial hit the other day, I had to cancel out of four mile because of distance. I really wanna get out this weekend and willing to meet you and your group either Sat or Sun as long as we aren't too far, whats your plan

Heather
November 3rd, 2017, 09:22 AM
x2 on what's the plan - hubby is actually interested, again, despite at whirlwind 24 hours at SEMA and wanting no plans this weekend!! Let's Caribou, friends!!

RockyMtRebel
November 3rd, 2017, 09:54 AM
I'd be down for Caribou on Sunday. Anyone interested in starting at RAINBOW LAKES ------>Caribou----->exiting in Eldora? Actually I think this is how Traildamage has Caribou described (starting at Rainbow Lakes).

This takes two short trails to make a decent route. Either way I'm interested!

Heather
November 3rd, 2017, 11:15 AM
Me, too! I think we'd bring both Jeeps, maybe, too.

PhillipG65
November 3rd, 2017, 12:07 PM
Sounds pretty good, much easier on the pocket book this way too. Rainbow lakes parking lot @ time ?

FINOCJ
November 3rd, 2017, 12:19 PM
I'd say post it up for Sunday! I don't know exactly where this trail or meeting spot is (other than near Nederland) so please post those details. I can't access Trails Offroad when at work (internet filter) but will check it out tonight. I'll be maybe until I know a bit more about my weekend schedule on sat.

RockyMtRebel
November 3rd, 2017, 12:21 PM
I was reading the trail description on Traildamage and it actually sounds like they suggest you start in ELDORA and finish at RAINBOW LAKES..... Does this sound good to everyone? I'll post up on the calendar if so

Heather
November 3rd, 2017, 01:20 PM
Sounds good to me!

FINOCJ
November 3rd, 2017, 01:23 PM
ok with me...granted I don't know much about the trail.

PhillipG65
November 3rd, 2017, 01:57 PM
YES !!!
Lets rock

PhillipG65
November 3rd, 2017, 02:04 PM
forgot to mention, I've only been Caribou once before and entered through Nederland
might wanna give me a lil direction to Eldora, if you please

Tom
November 3rd, 2017, 05:00 PM
I was reading the trail description on Traildamage and it actually sounds like they suggest you start in ELDORA and finish at RAINBOW LAKES..... Does this sound good to everyone? I'll post up on the calendar if so
If one runs the entire trail the best route is from Eldora, that because of the steep and narrow switchbacks that you don’t want to back up through. Heading from Eldora gives you the right of way. Rainbow lakes to the ghost town of Caribou can easily be run from either direction.

Tom
November 3rd, 2017, 05:03 PM
forgot to mention, I've only been Caribou once before and entered through Nederland
might wanna give me a lil direction to Eldora, if you please
If it were me I’d suggest meet at the Nederland High School parking lot. Its only a couple miles to the trail head. Easy to find.

RockyMtRebel
November 3rd, 2017, 05:35 PM
Good suggestion, I remember the trail starts right near houses and would not be a good meeting spot

Maverick1872
November 3rd, 2017, 06:02 PM
I'd also be interested. I'll check again later tonight to see if it's on the calendar. I'm not familiar with the trail so i'll have to get back to you if i can make it.

RockyMtRebel
November 3rd, 2017, 06:17 PM
Here's a map to the meeting spot (Nederland High).

this event is now posted!

Getaklu
November 3rd, 2017, 06:45 PM
With the clocks changing Saturday night, should the time start an hour earlier, say 8:30-9:00. Going to have more light early than late on Sunday. Just a thought as I ponder this run.

Max
November 3rd, 2017, 11:04 PM
The earlier the meeting time, the less likely that Max shows up :lmao:

RockyMtRebel
November 4th, 2017, 10:07 AM
I'll leave the meeting time as is, basically 10:30-11am (except with time change it'll be 930-10am).

Cmon Max, I see your rig every morning on my way to work and would love to finally meet and wheel along side that beast!

FINOCJ
November 4th, 2017, 11:02 AM
See you at 9:30 at NHS. Hope everyone remembers to the time change tonight (fall back)

Tom
November 4th, 2017, 11:39 AM
I am in. See you in the am

RockyMtRebel
November 4th, 2017, 01:51 PM
It is going to be sloppy folks - been raining all day at my place so far ;)

Heather
November 4th, 2017, 02:36 PM
I'm not sure, now - pulled something in my back yesterday afternoon. Getting old sucks. If I'm coming, I'll be on time.

RockyMtRebel
November 4th, 2017, 02:59 PM
Heather, I pulled something in my back earlier this week and have been in awkward pain all week. Sucks getting old ;-/

Im a little nervous about bouncing around tomorrow and thought about taking the RAM instead but I think I'm going to fight thru it in the Rubicon anyways --- still like a kid wanting to play with my newest toy ;)

fredrok
November 4th, 2017, 04:28 PM
There are a couple of areas on the shelf road Eldora side that you're gonna be thankful you don't have the Ram on!

dieseldoc
November 4th, 2017, 05:10 PM
Heather we hope to see you guys.
Hope you feel better.

Jamie
November 4th, 2017, 09:23 PM
Matt! You got a Jeep! Work has been nuts I haven’t been on here for weeks.

PhillipG65
November 5th, 2017, 04:08 AM
Good suggestion, I remember the trail starts right near houses and would not be a good meeting spot

I am concerned about the narrow steep switch backs, how steep and narrow are they?
MUD ?? I like MUD !!

RockyMtRebel
November 5th, 2017, 05:35 AM
It's been a long time and I don't remember this part of the trail much so can't help Phillip.

it is snowing now and we have at least an inch or two at my house so this may be a little snowy today

PhillipG65
November 5th, 2017, 05:49 AM
It's been a long time and I don't remember this part of the trail much so can't help Phillip.

it is snowing now and we have at least an inch or two at my house so this may be a little snowy today

Well I'l be there anyway. If it looks too intimidating I'll go find an easier trail.
Not a big deal.
I think it's still good with the snow, I'd like to test them shoes in the muck........
As long as everyone is still going, I'll see you all there !!!
:thumb: :smokin:

RockyMtRebel
November 5th, 2017, 06:31 AM
Getting a lot more snow than expected - I have 4" and still coming down. Hopefully it stops or slows down or I'm probably going to have to cancel. Not sure how much snow Ned got but if it's as much as I got I'm not sure y'all will want to run this trail. I'll keep an eye on it and keep updated

RockyMtRebel
November 5th, 2017, 06:37 AM
Looking at webcams and Ned got a lot less snow than we did up here..... I'll continue to keep an eye on it and post up any updates

fredrok
November 5th, 2017, 07:09 AM
I am concerned about the narrow steep switch backs, how steep and narrow are they?
MUD ?? I like MUD !!

There are just a couple of areas along the ledge rd coming out of Eldora that get narrow and can be tippy depending on the current rock situation. I remember them primarily because i was wheeling with a guy that doesn't like ledges and was rubbing the wall with his tires the entire way to stay away from the edge, cracked me up. There are only a couple of switchbacks IIRC but it is narrow.

RockyMtRebel
November 5th, 2017, 07:12 AM
Snow is tapering off at my place (Allenspark). I got 5" easily but planning on heading to Nederland in an hour - giving myself well over an hour to get there since I'll be driving the Peak to Peak Hwy

FINOCJ
November 5th, 2017, 07:14 AM
Heading out by 8 am - hopefully sooner. We will give it a shot but if the snow is deep and no chains plans may have to evolve. See you at NHS.

dieseldoc
November 5th, 2017, 07:24 AM
We're headed out in a bit as well.
Snow.....not as much as it could have been.
My ride don't start to slip tell there a foot or more.

Was up on of the passes in Aspen a few weeks ago it loved it tell there was 2 feet on the rocks at the top....

PhillipG65
November 5th, 2017, 07:39 AM
I am loaded and ready, heading out in about 10 minutes, that'l be 7:50
I also was able to repair my CB so I'll be monitoring channel 4 if anybody else has their ears on
See y'all there !!!!

RockyMtRebel
November 5th, 2017, 08:43 AM
Unfortunately all signs are telling me not to go so I'm not going to make it ;(

I had to drive to Estes to post this, my satellite dish covered up with snow and I lost my internet access....

have fun fun and be safe everyone!

Max
November 5th, 2017, 09:32 AM
I'm on my way, I'll be there at 10. I won't be upset if you guys leave before me though haha. I can catch up.

RockyMtRebel
November 5th, 2017, 10:48 AM
Hope you guys have fun! It was dumping at my house and I decided to air down a little and noticed 2 of my valve stems were leaking air too much for comfort. One tire had been slowly losing air that I knew about but the other wasn't.... looks like I'm taking her in to get all new heavy duty valve stems installed for peace of mind.

Sorry I couldn't join the run I posted, but I just didn't feel comfortable going out like this. Turns out my wife forgot her purse and needed me to run it to her in Longmont so that's what I ended up doing instead .... booooo ;-/

dieseldoc
November 5th, 2017, 05:35 PM
Matt sorry you missed the day.
Way a good time.
Amazing how snow will show what tire difference make!

PhillipG65
November 5th, 2017, 09:04 PM
Hey MATT !!!!!!!!!!!!
I got a great idea,
how about you plan um, we'll run umm !!!! :lmao:
Missed ya, but gotta take care of buis first and of coarse everyone knows, happy wife, happy life, sorry just a lil punn
Hope all went well and goes well for your valves !!!!!!!

Max
November 5th, 2017, 10:13 PM
It has some mud on it now ;)

Cmon Max, I see your rig every morning on my way to work and would love to finally meet and wheel along side that beast!